Shaun Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that the same Handscomb who was dropped from the test side averaging 45+?

2018/19 3 matches, 443 @ 88.6 (Handscomb 361 @ 45.1)
2017/18 4 matches, 304 @ 38 (Handscomb 271 @ 38.7)
2016/17 1 match, 183 @ 91.5 (Handscomb 410 @ 68.3)
2015/16, 6 matches, 516 @ 46.9 (Handscomb 784 @ 43.5)

I'm not Handscomb's #1 fan but the fascination with Marsh (who will be 36 next year) has become weird. He's not some guy that is getting a run now because the cupboard is bare, he's been getting a run for 8 years.
I think people overestimate the 'fascination' with SMarsh. He's been a spare parts replacement player for most of those eight years, just comes in to plug a gap. It's a fair representation of his generally frustrating talent.

I think people overestimate the 'fascination' with SMarsh. He's been a spare parts replacement player for most of those eight years, just comes in to plug a gap. It's a fair representation of his generally frustrating talent.

How many players that aren't related to him have been given as many chances?

An extremely inconsistent batsman that has for the most part just been a fill in for most of his Test career and averages 35 with 6 centuries, it is what is.

We've got ****in Aaron Finch opening the batting for the country and we've got people obsessed, um sorry 'fascinated' by this bloke for some reason.

An extremely inconsistent batsman that has for the most part just been a fill in for most of his Test career and averages 35 with 6 centuries, it is what is.

We've got ****in Aaron Finch opening the batting for the country and we've got people obsessed, um sorry 'fascinated' by this bloke for some reason.

Seeing a guy get chance after chance since the Y2K bug is kind of fascinating

Love watching S Marsh bat at full flight.
Don't understand the hatred for him.

He is no S Waugh or Ponting but has played some ripping innings during a period when Australian batting depth has been weak.

Think he lacked a bit of professionalism when he was younger and got unlucky with injuries later in his career.
He has had a solid career, hope he can maintain ODI form and go out with ODI world cup.

Love watching S Marsh bat at full flight.
Don't understand the hatred for him.

He is no S Waugh or Ponting but has played some ripping innings during a period when Australian batting depth has been weak.

Think he lacked a bit of professionalism when he was younger and got unlucky with injuries later in his career.
He has had a solid career, hope he can maintain ODI form and go out with ODI world cup.

People don't hate him I wouldn't think but are just frustrated at his continual lack of test runs for 12 months now. It's also been a part of his game to save his spot with the odd 100 to break up a run of low scores for a while. It's nearly all aimed at the selectors though, I think most Australian fans don't mind the guy himself.

I think only casual fans dispute his spot in the ODI side as an opener or 3. Clearly there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supremely frustrating test cricketer. The lines and lengths teams bowl are far more attacking than those bowled in short form. They tie up batters, apply pressure and wait for the mistake. You just don't get that in short forms. It's mostly defensive bowling, tossed up, off pace, out wide etc. balls you can hit for 6. You just don't get that in test cricket, unless you're Starc bowling pies.

Never said I didn't like him, I just don't want him anywhere near the test team. He's far too inconsistent to be considered a test regular, or even a test cricketer.

Agreed. He’s too unreliable

Has he ever been a Test regular? He's spent his whole career as a spare parts player.

How about this summer where he failed over and over again but was an automatic pick.....

That was after averaging about 2 in the UAE!

Yeah, filling in for two players that couldn't play. You might have heard of them? If Smith and Warner were available, he wouldn't have played, but his Shield form made him the clear choice.

So now Shield form is a criteria...tell that to others who are in Shield cricket that haven't been picked off this season's performances. His UAE tour should have been his last. I'm almost glad e were flogged so we made the call but it shouldn't have taken India to expose Marsh yet again to make the call. Could have easily picked Patterson for one.

So now Shield form is a criteria...tell that to others who are in Shield cricket that haven't been picked off this season's performances. His UAE tour should have been his last. I'm almost glad e were flogged so we made the call but it shouldn't have taken India to expose Marsh yet again to make the call. Could have easily picked Patterson for one.
When the spots were up for grabs, no one else stood up. Don't blame Marsh for outperforming the rest ahead of the series. If he hadn't made big runs, I don't think he would have been picked for India, but he did and he was. Christ, people complain about selection criteria, then again when someone does exactly what he's supposed to do.

When the spots were up for grabs, no one else stood up. Don't blame Marsh for outperforming the rest ahead of the series. If he hadn't made big runs, I don't think he would have been picked for India, but he did and he was. Christ, people complain about selection criteria, then again when someone does exactly what he's supposed to do.

That would be fine...if the selection criteria was consistent. It is not. Seems Shield runs are fine for Marsh but when Maxwell, Wade, Patterson, etc do it...that's not enough? I'll call a spade a spade and say that the selection criteria was and is a load of rubbish. It's only a criteria when it suits the coach.

Look at the blokes that were borderline that were picked...MMarsh (what form exactly? 6 failures before he was selected), Laubashgne (might work but is averaging 20 odd), Handscomb (has lead boots really worked out his technique?), Khawaja (was he even fit)

Selection was a farce this summer. I'm thankful India flogged the living daylights out of us. Also thankful Marsh didn't get a second bat in Sydney, nothing would be surer a usual 30-40 odd save your career type Marsh innings.

Everyone agrees the selection criteria has been inconsistent, but SMarsh averaged 80 in the Shield, there should be no complaints about his selection. If you're advocating they should have been consistent in their inconsistency and left out the best performed bat, then you're just perpetuating the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back