Environment Recycling

What are your recycling habits like?

I’ll be one to put my hand up and say I’m pretty bad, I go through a 50 pack of sandwich bags a week while meal prepping my lunch and dinners, and probably a roll or two of paper towel. I do try my best to seperate recyclables and general waste when cooking and the like, however I’m also not going to take a bin out if the other one isn’t full yet. :$ Also notorious for still buying Woolies and Coles ‘non plastic’ plastic bags rather than bringing one of my own non plastic bags.

Over to you BigFooty!

Love the concept but I’m not very good at actually doing it . My yellow bin is full because it hasn’t been emptied in 4 weeks due to them collecting on Saturday rather than Friday over the holiday period without telling us , so lately I’ve been putting recyclable stuff like newspapers in the green wheelie bin instead 😳 . When it comes to bags - I’ve been belatedly converted. I keep the cloth ones in the car for the convenience.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Our council does't even offer recycling.
The new 10 cent bottle/can etc recycling facility is 70km's away.
It's a joke.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
What are your recycling habits like?

I’ll be one to put my hand up and say I’m pretty bad, I go through a 50 pack of sandwich bags a week while meal prepping my lunch and dinners, and probably a roll or two of paper towel. I do try my best to seperate recyclables and general waste when cooking and the like, however I’m also not going to take a bin out if the other one isn’t full yet. :$ Also notorious for still buying Woolies and Coles ‘non plastic’ plastic bags rather than bringing one of my own non plastic bags.

Over to you BigFooty!
Why don't you just buy lunchboxes ffs

I think I am okay- my general rubbish is pretty low and I try my best not to waste food. (altho with fruit and veggies thats sometimes unavoidable)

Putting snacks in plastic containers and leaving them at work, eg. nuts, biscuits, etc- unless they're sealed properly is a good idea.

I use glad wrap and brown paper bags tho occasionally. Esp the time i chucked an apple in my bag just as it was and then idk but it tasted like ******* deodorant somehow, or some kind of perfume. Fruit in a bag at all times since.

I always use green bags at Coles.

how do you use 7 sandwich bags a day :eek:
Breakfast I have seperate bags for protein powder, yoghurt, berries and the oats are in the container. Almonds are in a sandwich bag, avocado has a bag and I eat an entire one a day. Use another one at dinner for marinating whatever meat I’m cooking. I store sweet potato that I’ve cooked in weighed out portions, also in sandwich bags. It just happens! :p

Breakfast I have seperate bags for protein powder, yoghurt, berries and the oats are in the container. Almonds are in a sandwich bag, avocado has a bag and I eat an entire one a day. Use another one at dinner for marinating whatever meat I’m cooking. I store sweet potato that I’ve cooked in weighed out portions, also in sandwich bags. It just happens! :p
do you re use any of them?
could any of the sandwich bags be replaced with reusable containers?

Yes but..

How's your current kitchen going?

do you re use any of them?
could any of the sandwich bags be replaced with reusable containers?
Nah I bin all of them, it’s just easily done to include a 50 pack of sandwich bags in my weekly shop. As mentioned above I can’t fit more containers in my esky, it’s super full as it is.

Nah I bin all of them, it’s just easily done to include a 50 pack of sandwich bags in my weekly shop. As mentioned above I can’t fit more containers in my esky, it’s super full as it is.
I'm beginning to think you started this thread to troll recyclers

you should look into something like these https://www.mymunchbox.com.au/

I'm beginning to think you started this thread to troll recyclers

you should look into something like these https://www.mymunchbox.com.au/
100% not the intention. Why would I admit that I’m really poor at recycling and cop the abuse for a troll attempt?

Genuinely wanted to know if anyone else doesn’t really think about recycling as it’s one of those things that doesn’t cross my mind.

I’ll have a look into them.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It doesn't really matter whether you use plastic, glass, tin cans, paper etc. if you are conditioned to throwing everything away.

The trucks from Brownes or Pura or whoever your local milk processor is still drive to the supermarket, drop off a bunch of plastic crates full of milk bottles and then drive off with a bunch of empty milk crates.

The only thing that's changed is consumer behaviour. We buy milk in a plastic bottle and then throw it in the rubbish or recycling and it ceases to be our or the milk company's problem. The milk company then either makes new bottles themselves or buys them from a plastics company who may or may not use recycled plastic. It's the path of least resistance logistically for all parties.

In terms of packaging- I moved recently, and just to a one bedroom apartment- minus all the bedroom furniture, I took that with me.

Fmd the amount of packaging I've had to go thru and throw out. Its worse than the ******* move itself.

Some of it is still sitting in the laundry waiting to be chucked..

I wash all my recycling containers before putting them into the recycling bin. Once it becomes habitual it's no effort at all.

Back