2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question who on our list is going to bring the physicality, team play that supports our skilled players?
I think Conca is one, Banfield another but you need them on all fronts.
Especially since we have so many kids, inexperience, it's the one glaring weakeness for this year.

If we stay fit we will have one of the biggest teams in the comp and won't be intimidated by anyone. The young guys aren't skinny kids, Logue, Cerra, Brayshaw, etc are all AFL ready.

There will be times where our centre square is Sandilands, Fyfe, Mundy and Blakely. What's the average height/weight/age/games played of those 4? I'm guessing around 195cm, 105kg, 28 years olds and 180 games.

There will be times where our centre square is Sandilands, Fyfe, Mundy and Blakely. What's the average height/weight/age/games played of those 4? I'm guessing around 195cm, 105kg, 28 years olds and 180 games.

Mundy may have had his time in the middle. We'll see!! Sandi as well could be a long bow.
Put Darcy (111kg) in there, and i don't think we will be intimidated

Last edited:
Mundy may have had his time in the middle. We'll see!! Sandi as well could be a long bow.
Put Darcy (111kg) in there, and i don't think we will be intimidated
It’s one thing to NOT be intimidated... and another to BE intimidating. I think the OP was asking who our “unsociable” players are - that’s not necessarily related to size, but more to intent to hurt - hard tackles, crashing packs, big blocks, and a little bit of unnecessary/cheeky niggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that we need to build a little intimidation into our repertoire, and would like it to be across the list, and double for home games.

I think a players like Hughes, or Jones, or North, or Cox, or, Duman, or Logue should consider bringing out their inner beast. They definitely add to their versatility if they can do that, and for Hughes, Jones and North it may actually be enough to nudge their names forward for a run, or get Cox's nose in front of Taberner, or be a decider between Logue and Duman.

Dixon has packed on the pounds and looks pretty beastly looking. Prob a reason why he hasn’t blown away anyone in the the time trials. But as a key forward he doesn’t need a midfield tank. The extra kilos will help going forward and he will grow into his frame.

If Hogan and Bennell are becoming involved in match sims, doesn't that put them right in the frame for early season games? I know there would be a base load of work the club would want them to have achieved, but it means the injury side of things is not a concern. Hardie and Hagdorn are reeling some of you guys in. Change the channel for gawd's sake.

For those watching training - how’s taberners decision making going? Still turning it over every time he tries to go inboard?

I think it’s gradually improved year on year, if he can get it to afl standard he could be anything.

Great IMO. Just seems super confident now. I went down last week-Tabs n Bradley impressed me the most. Tabs was just too strong and Hill was Everywhere.

Went to training. Though I do think that we'll be much more competitive this year, don't expect a radically different game style. Bennell was special for the drills that he took part in.
For what its worth all of the guys and gals who dont miss a session say we've been kicking a lot longer and playing a more direct style all preseason. Ive thought that as well in the four or five sessions Ive seen. Today Langdon could have kicked long in a match sim drill but didnt and then turned the ball over on the far side of the oval. Walters, who was in the rehab group and had seen what had happened stopped what he was doing to give Ed a massive spray that went along the lines of 'stop piss farting around with the ball and kick it long to the first option like we talked about'.

Taberner has also been very vocal when he's been ignored on good leads on more than a few occasions. Lobb is the one that could really straighten us up though. Even when he doesnt mark the ball he brings the crumbers into play because he never gets outmarked by his man and if you kick it in his direction basically (in training) you get two bites of the cherry for a shot on goal in Lobb can mark or a player at his feet can win the ball.

Last edited:
I agree that we need to build a little intimidation into our repertoire, and would like it to be across the list, and double for home games.

I think a players like Hughes, or Jones, or North, or Cox, or, Duman, or Logue should consider bringing out their inner beast. They definitely add to their versatility if they can do that, and for Hughes, Jones and North it may actually be enough to nudge their names forward for a run, or get Cox's nose in front of Taberner, or be a decider between Logue and Duman.
I wish people would stop saying Logue and Duman are in opposition for a place in the team. One has a massive leap and is at least 12kgs heavier. (Even if thats not their official listings have a look at photos even. It would be more than ten kgs easily). The other has a suspect leap, but is much better at ground level.

With Duman's height he is well suited to playing on smalls as it means he's lack of leap. (which is obvious if you watch him up close in marking drills on taller players) doesnt matter. Duman reminds me a bit of a right footed Grant Birchall in that despite his height (birchall is 193cm) he's had a very good career playing on predominately smalls. Duman is also terrific below his knees and he's light frame helps him to change direction quickly.

Logue reminds me of a young Alex Rance, but with the capability of manning third talls if Hamling and Alex Pearce are selected. Logue's in competition with the likes of Nyhuis, Cox, Kersten or the equally athletic Hughes. Duman is in competition with the coaches desire to rotate Cerra, Conca, S.Hill and Blakely off half back and onball to to allow an extra mid to be selected.

At worst Duman is likely to be the first player picked if we have an injury to Wilson or Ryan. At best he's in team and both Conca and Cerra spend the majority of their playing time midfield while rotating half back for only brief periods when one of Wilson, Ryan or Duman are interchanged.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back