Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Ahern getting through his 1st pre season. Could be a big mover in 2019 - his 37 touches v the premiers last year is glimpse of why he went so early. Now he reminds me of Watson but a better decision maker.

Jobe: 191 cms, 93 kgs
Langford: 191 cms, 90 kgs

Ahern: 183 cms, 85 kgs

I don’t understand you

Wayne Carey 192 cms

Give it time - you might get there. It’s not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

??? Are we just rattling off the most irrelevant stats possible now.

That was the standard size of forwards 25 years ago. Dunstall 188, Plugger 191

Aherns size won’t allow him to be Jobe “with better decision making”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

??? Are we just rattling off the most irrelevant stats possible now.

That was the standard size of forwards 25 years ago. Dunstall 188, Plugger 191

Aherns size won’t allow him to be Jobe “with better decision making”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You’re hung up on size for some reason.

Ahearn had 22 contested possessions v the eagles this year, Langfords most in a game is 11, Watson 21.

Lol - size won’t allow him!!

You’re hung up on size for some reason.

Ahearn had 22 contested possessions v the eagles this year, Langfords most in a game is 11, Watson 21.

Lol - size won’t allow him!!

I get he wins a contested ball but how exactly does that make him Jobe with better decision making?? Dayne Zorko wins a lot of contested ball, is he a Jobe Watson too?

I rate Ahern, he’s a chance to properly breakout this year if he can get a good run at it. I’m just saying he is nothing like the player you are describing.

I get he wins a contested ball but how exactly does that make him Jobe with better decision making?? Dayne Zorko wins a lot of contested ball, is he a Jobe Watson too?

I rate Ahern, he’s a chance to properly breakout this year if he can get a good run at it. I’m just saying he is nothing like the player you are describing.
Jobes rep is on the back of contested and clearance work - Ahern is much closer to him than Langford. The stats from last year don’t lie. Langford matches up height wise - not stat wises.

Zorko isn’t up the top of the contested ball winners. Mitchell, Cunnington, Neale, Ward - these players aren’t tall.

Jobes rep is on the back of contested and clearance work - Ahern is much closer to him than Langford. The stats from last year don’t lie. Langford matches up height wise - not stat wises.

Zorko isn’t up the top of the contested ball winners. Mitchell, Cunnington, Neale, Ward - these players aren’t tall.

I see everything I have said has clearly gone straight over your head.... Let me spell it out

Langford has started his career as a forward. He is the same build as Jobe but he obviously won’t have the opportunity to reach the same numbers as Jobe until he is given a similar role.

Ahern is a full time small-medium mid. He plays nothing like Jobe Watson.

I see everything I have said has clearly gone straight over your head.... Let me spell it out

Langford has started his career as a forward. He is the same build as Jobe but he obviously won’t have the opportunity to reach the same numbers as Jobe until he is given a similar role.

Except for stats - which seems to be going over your head. Let’s look at the numbers at years end. Tipping Ahern will be closer - again.

Players can have similar stats and not be similar players. Surely you understand that right?

Players can be similar size and not be similar players. Surely you understand that?

To stop you sooking is it better if I call Ahern a mini Watson? He already has proved that he can get big contested and clearance numbers.

Players can be similar size and not be similar players. Surely you understand that?

To stop you sooking is it better if I call Ahern a mini Watson? He already has proved that he can get big contested and clearance numbers.

Of course I understand that. But when Langford’s career to date is almost parallel with where Jobe was at this point surely its easy to see where the conclusion has been drawn. I’m not saying he will reach his level but he is heading in the right direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course I understand that. But when Langford’s career to date is almost parallel with where Jobe was at this point surely its easy to see where the conclusion has been drawn. I’m not saying he will reach his level but he is heading in the right direction.
Parallel in height?

Disposals:
Watson 20
Ahern 21
Langford 18 (Myers 19)

Clearances
Watson 4.7
Ahern 3.1
Langford 2.3

Contested Possies
Watson 10
Ahern 9.5
Langford 7.3 (Myers 7.9)

He is closer to Myers than Watson. Ahern is much closer again. Tipping the same in 2019. Ess posters seem to get upset when Myers is named. But hard to argue with stats.

Parallel in height?

Disposals:
Watson 20
Ahern 21
Langford 18 (Myers 19)

Clearances
Watson 4.7
Ahern 3.1
Langford 2.3

Contested Possies
Watson 10
Ahern 9.5
Langford 7.3 (Myers 7.9)

He is closer to Myers than Watson. Ahern is much closer again. Tipping the same in 2019. Ess posters seem to get upset when Myers is named. But hard to argue with stats.

Jesus Christ.....

He started off as a forward, much maligned, moved into the midfield started winning footy. Their stats of course won’t be parallel because Langford has only played a handful of games in the midfield.

Jesus Christ.....

He started off as a forward, much maligned, moved into the midfield started winning footy. Their stats of course won’t be parallel because Langford has only played a handful of games in the midfield.
If he could get 20 contested possessions he would be in your starting midfield.

Anyway this is boring - to be revisited at the end of each year.

Ahern is not a small/medium midfielder. He is 85kgs and likely to be a 90kg midfielder by the time he peaks. He walked through players last year as essentially a first year player.

You don’t win 22 contested possessions without being an animal as a ball winner.

The only comparison I see with Jobe is they are/were both huge through their legs/trunk and thighs. They are hard to tackle and standup in a tackle regularly.

They are very different players though, Ahern was a very mercurial player through juniors, he played the same way in his first real season in the AFL.

Hes certainly nowhere near as tall as Watson, at the same time, there’s not many young inside mids in the game with Aherns class and kicking ability.

Ahern is not a small/medium midfielder. He is 85kgs and likely to be a 90kg midfielder by the time he peaks. He walked through players last year as essentially a first year player.

You don’t win 22 contested possessions without being an animal as a ball winner.

The only comparison I see with Jobe is they are/were both huge through their legs/trunk and thighs. They are hard to tackle and standup in a tackle regularly.

They are very different players though, Ahern was a very mercurial player through juniors, he played the same way in his first real season in the AFL.

Hes certainly nowhere near as tall as Watson, at the same time, there’s not many young inside mids in the game with Aherns class and kicking ability.

He’s 183 cms which is definitely on the small side in this day and age for a mid. Nothing wrong with that though, we have a plethora of mids under that height.

As I’ve said I do rate Ahern, I think if he can stay on the park he’ll be a solid mid for you for the next 10 years.

Jack Viney is 178cm and benches the most at the club.

I'd back him in against any 190cm inside bull in a contest.

Last edited:
He’s 183 cms which is definitely on the small side in this day and age for a mid. Nothing wrong with that though, we have a plethora of mids under that height.

As I’ve said I do rate Ahern, I think if he can stay on the park he’ll be a solid mid for you for the next 10 years.

I don’t think height is really a factor if you would take a midfielder or not, you just play them if they are good enough.

2 of the best 5 contested ball winners in the league are 177 and 178cm’s in Tom Mitchell and Lachie Neale.

Then you have Viney as a top clearance mid at 178.

Ben Cunnington is 185 and Oliver is 187. Cripps and Fyfe are actually the only ones above 190cm’s near the top of those lists.

I don’t think height is really a factor if you would take a midfielder or not, you just play them if they are good enough.

2 of the best 5 contested ball winners in the league are 177 and 178cm’s in Tom Mitchell and Lachie Neale.

Then you have Viney as a top clearance mid at 178.

Ben Cunnington is 185 and Oliver is 187. Cripps and Fyfe are actually the only ones above 190cm’s near the top of those lists.
Fyfe, Cripps, Danger, Bontempelli, kennedy, cunnington, Pendlebury, beams, Heppell, Ward, Macrae, Dunkley, Higgins, wines all above 185...

I got tired of listing but I’m sure you see that prolific inside mids under 185 are the anomaly.

Also I wouldn’t want to play Ahern, Mitchell and Neale in the same midfield... all of these players bar Mitchell apply no defensive pressure. They are ball winners but there’s more to inside mids than just contested possession.

For me at least for now, Ahern does nowhere enough to justify a regular spot in the midfield for the same role as Mitchell.

Takes all types though. There is definitely an advantage at times to having a big body at stoppages just like at times there's advantages for blokes like Viney and Adams.
Who said otherwise ?

If you got my point I wonder why you'd bother responding. My point hadn't yet been made. There was an assumption that you had to be tall to be the most effective mid. My post proved otherwise. Your post just points out what I'd said inversely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back