Jury Duty

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember reading the newspaper one day and looked at the wedding photos page. One of the couples featured stated that they had met while doing jury duty. How's that for fate?

Are you allowed to have lations with another jury member while on jury duty?

Twice removed thanks to being a military member.
Last time was 2006, so not sure if that has changed but haven't been asked again.

I wonder if as you get older they avoid you?? Or twice shy the future is nigh?

Last edited:
Just goes to show most Profilers, Body Language Experts and Demographic (type of person you want) consultants are full of s**t.

Fair chance the soli was someone who had never been near such a person (hell, if they were a soli - I know a couple of dodgy practices which used to send over a secretary or student).

Peremptory challenges are being halved soon anyway, and there's regular talk of scrapping them altogether.

Fair chance the soli was someone who had never been near such a person (hell, if they were a soli - I know a couple of dodgy practices which used to send over a secretary or student).

Peremptory challenges are being halved soon anyway, and there's regular talk of scrapping them altogether.

Don't mind them (even if i was challenged). But 3 would be fairer probably.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought if I was innocent no way I'd want a jury deciding. Leave it with a Judge. If I was guilty I'd roll the dice with a jury.

I guess that's why they have a jury and not one persons personal decision.

So if the case is heard xxx vs The Queen, what happens under a republic?

I worked with a bloke who was called up for duty. At some stage he was asked to state his name and address. His response: I am not comfortable giving that information in front of potential murderers. He was then threatened with contempt.

I worked with a bloke who was called up for duty. At some stage he was asked to state his name and address. His response: I am not comfortable giving that information in front of potential murderers. He was then threatened with contempt.

Wouldn't have been in Victoria. Your name and occupation are read out that is all.

Frankly when you fill the form out you could put any job title you wanted or be vague with the details. (Independent Contractor, as most workers are these days anyway).

In the state I'm from you just get a summons to turn up on such a date then you turn up unless you have an excuse.Its not difficult to get the date of your jury duty deferred to a time more suitable to you but just about impossible to get out of it altogether
Ive been called twice been on jury's twice.One was a sexual assault of a child under twelve.Not nearly as bad as it sounds the assault was a pinch to get the kid to move off the couch.That one took up two days from turning up in the morning till wasting a bit of time deliberating so us jurors could get a free lunch.The other one was murder .That was scheduled for up to twelve weeks and that was way worse then it sounds.

The process is you register that you have arrived at the desk on the date you have been summonsed then sit in the lounge with four hundred or so other people then a person comes out and announces a trial,a court room number,the charge,how long it's set to run for and calls out a bunch of numbers.As a summons person you have a number between 1 and 600.There is no referring to names or occupations everyone is just a number and the numbers are randomly called so its completely random as to who gets called for what trial.For the murder trial one hundred and fifty numbers were called.Mine included. All those called went to the court room then they began randomly calling numbers and most people came up with excuses like one guy said I run a business that employs five hundred people I'm to important and the judge would say not good enough not a reason to be excused and then a lawyer would challenge which means that person gets let go.The lawyers get three challenges each and there were eight sets of two lawyers.The judge wasn't letting anybody off at all but the lawyers were getting rid of just about every winny looser who had an excuse.It got to the point after about twenty challenges that people were getting called and just mumbling and getting let go.Then they had the Jury of eighteen.Twelve and six reserves?Then came the swearing in and * me if the lawyers didn't use up more challenges so people left their seat and a new number was called.I was one of the last numbers called .I waited for a challenge when I read the oath.I read it very slow but didn't get challenged.The reason they have 18 jurors is because in such a long trial they expect a few to get sick or die or whatever before the end.We only lost one or two before the end.One very attractive girl had a panic attack the first time an accused murderer looked at her and got a doctors note excusing her .Anyway there was another random ballet at the end of the trial to kick off the excess numbers and get it down to twelve for the verdict.

Last edited:
I went recently they had a special case that they said you could defer, which you normally cant of not entering the pool to be chosen to be on the jury because it was expected to go over 2 months. I think you can guess right what case it is, i was undecided of what to do so i said no. I kind of regret of not being a chance to get selected as it would of been very interesting and would of got off work for 2 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went recently they had a special case that they said you could defer, which you normally cant of not entering the pool to be chosen to be on the jury because it was expected to go over 2 months. I think you can guess right what case it is, i was undecided of what to do so i said no. I kind of regret of not being a chance to get selected as it would of been very interesting and would of got off work for 2 months.
You need to consider that your boss mightn't be too happy if you're off work for two months. Mine wasn't when the trial took two weeks, and let me know, but he was a dead set shocker anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back