Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
with him out in round 4 that certainly makes Hawthorn a differant prospect ... last time we played them Mitchell had a lazy 45 possesions between him and Smith we were never in that game ...
Second last round last year they only beat us by Four points and as usual we had more scoring shots, albeit only 21 to 20.

St Pauls

All Australian
Jul 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Second last round last year they only beat us by Four points and as usual we had more scoring shots, albeit only 21 to 20.
It must be the middle of summer beacuse I can feel the tragic forever optimistic saint in me start to think:

‘Without Mitchell maybe we are chance to knock the Hawks off.

If we come out firing against GC and get a good win first round.

Maybe we are a chance to knock off one of Essendon or Freo. I think Essendon will probably have us covered but Freo will be without Neale and maybe Hogan will take time to get fit.

Could we be 3-1 after 4....’

Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Scorchers got a seven ball over in their recent Big Bash game , because the Umpire miscounted the balls in the over.
The Dockers , and especially the Eagles , have been getting freebies since they entered the AFL.
Klinger got out on that seventh ball ........ that's some long overdue Karma.
Good to see Karma has finally got off it's arse in WA , and also recently taken out the Marsh Brothers.
Eagles and Dockers still to come.

The Scorchers got a seven ball over in their recent Big Bash game , because the Umpire miscounted the balls in the over.
The Dockers , and especially the Eagles , have been getting freebies since they entered the AFL.
Klinger got out on that seventh ball ........ that's some long overdue Karma.
Good to see Karma has finally got off it's arse in WA , and also recently taken out the Marsh Brothers.
Eagles and Dockers still to come.

Pity poor Klinger who was the recipient of all this karma.
What did he ever do though?

Besides play a stupid shot ?

You’re allowed to play a stupid shot on the seventh ball of an over....what part of BBL don’t you understand :oops:;)?

Put in a lot of effort yet never did get that section 8
Then it didn't matter, because he met a Korean girl who became the love of his life. They got married with her wearing one of his favourite dresses.

True story.

Then it didn't matter, because he met a Korean girl who became the love of his life. They got married with her wearing one of his favourite dresses.

True story.
Yeah and he ended up staying in Korea with her after all those yrs of wanting to go home.
Women do that to you.
One minute your a cross dressing AWOL wannabe. Nek Minnit your under the thumb.:drunk:

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah and he ended up staying in Korea with her after all those yrs of wanting to go home.
Women do that to you.
One minute your a cross dressing AWOL wannabe. Nek Minnit your under the thumb.:drunk:
was that in the spin off show from MASH ?
i seem to recall a spin off happening but for the life of me i cant recall who was in it or what not ...

was that in the spin off show from MASH ?
i seem to recall a spin off happening but for the life of me i cant recall who was in it or what not ...
There was a couple of Mash spin offs.
And yes there was one which had Klinger and his Korean wife in it.

images.jpeg

The only thing i can't agree on in there is that addicts have a lot of pain caused by physical etc abuse as children.

I know i'm no expert in the field but i know too many people who were well adjusted, were not abused and became addicts as adults. I can't help thinking that its gross generalisation to say they have all been abused as children.
Sometimes i think the "emptiness" can almost be boredom, or an inability to improve their life, a loss of hope if you like.

A kid who is told that when he grows up, he/she will fall in love and get married , but it never works out that way.
Someone who can't afford anything and has little prospect to improve their life, nothing to look forward to, no dreams that can be realised.

Why do we see so many elderly cit's playing the Pokies. Did they suddenly realise that they were abused as children?
Or is it more that there is no way to improve their life, all they have to do is live week by week until they die.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Or is it more that there is no way to improve their life, all they have to do is live week by week until they die.

Yeah, tend to agree. Life is fundamentally purposeless, and that's more evident if your life is superficially comfortable. (If you're struggling for clean water and a meal every two days, there isn't much space to think about "why are we here?")

Once upon a time, purpose was provided by religion for most people. Now there's less religion around, and people seem to be finding purpose in capitalism - career progression, money accumulation, buying s**t. Turns out though that feels pretty empty for most.

Personally I think drugs should generally be legal. If that's what it takes for people to pass the time until they die, who am I to judge? As long as they don't hurt others, though.

Yeah, tend to agree. Life is fundamentally purposeless, and that's more evident if your life is superficially comfortable. (If you're struggling for clean water and a meal every two days, there isn't much space to think about "why are we here?")

Once upon a time, purpose was provided by religion for most people. Now there's less religion around, and people seem to be finding purpose in capitalism - career progression, money accumulation, buying s**t. Turns out though that feels pretty empty for most.

Personally I think drugs should generally be legal. If that's what it takes for people to pass the time until they die, who am I to judge? As long as they don't hurt others, though.

Nihilism numbed by nodders.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Nihilism numbed by nodders.
Come on Gringo man!
How can you call Noddy Holder a Nihalist?
Maybe a crazy Anarchist but no way the Nodster believed in nothing man!

By the sheer fact we all follow the Saints we could never be accused of Nihilism!
Say what they will about our stupidity. But its still an eternal search for hope!
An ethos if you will!

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Come on Gringo man!
How can you call Noddy Holder a Nihalist?
Maybe a crazy Anarchist but no way the Nodster believed in nothing man!

By the sheer fact we all follow the Saints we could never be accused of Nihilism!
Say what they will about our stupidity. But its still an eternal search for hope!
An ethos if you will!
No way MM! Saints are the perfect team for the modern nihalist!
In fact there could be an opportunity to recruit a whole new generation!
Can't afford a house deposit?
Can't find permanent employment?
Does your smashed avo taste of wasted youth and disappointment?
With our new "Zero Success" concession members package we could really tap into youth market!! No highs, no lows, no game access, just bland disappointment each week!! Perfect!

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
With our new "Zero Success" concession members package we could really tap into youth market!! No highs, no lows, no game access, just bland disappointment each week!! Perfect!
"Does your smashed avo taste of wasted youth and disappointment " lol
I see what you mean man. Is that why we took off in the 90's during the Grunge era?
We must have been huge with Smashing Pumpkins fans then!
" Just bland disappointment each week " Sounds like my love life!
I'm the No 1 ticket holder in the Zero success concession members stand!

There is some truth to this. There are lots of experiments that show humans and rats prefer pain over boredom. Some of my most accomplished and well off friends are the least satisfied with life because they don't have much left to strive towards.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...lectrically-shocked-left-alone-their-thoughts

I also found an interesting article on the Rat Park experiment that suggested that addiction was partially environmental, it seems to debunk some of it but it's still interesting to look at. It's a social isolation leads to dependency type hypothesis in it's original form.

https://theoutline.com/post/2205/th...ng-bad-ideas-about-addiction?zd=1&zi=kvry4yz6

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
There is some truth to this. There are lots of experiments that show humans and rats prefer pain over boredom. Some of my most accomplished and well off friends are the least satisfied with life because they don't have much left to strive towards.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...lectrically-shocked-left-alone-their-thoughts

I also found an interesting article on the Rat Park experiment that suggested that addiction was partially environmental, it seems to debunk some of it but it's still interesting to look at. It's a social isolation leads to dependency type hypothesis in it's original form.

https://theoutline.com/post/2205/th...ng-bad-ideas-about-addiction?zd=1&zi=kvry4yz6

Isolation also leads to premature ageing.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.

You may be onto something there, ScrappyDo. Give the membership marketing department a call. I haven't seen fresh and creative thinking like this from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back