2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

How is Travis Colyer looking?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Really good. He's only joined in training since after the Christmas break. Before then he was doing a heap of rehab. He's skills seem excellent. Im pretty sure the knock ay him at Essendon was that at times he didnt slow down after going on a run and his disposal suffered as a result. He's kicking has been first class from what ive seen. When you look at most best 22's on here the thing missing is probably just a little bit of extra pace. If Colyer's selected he can provide that.

Really good. He's only joined in training since after the Christmas break. Before then he was doing a heap of rehab. He's skills seem excellent. Im pretty sure the knock ay him at Essendon was that at times he didnt slow down after going on a run and his disposal suffered as a result. He's kicking has been first class from what ive seen. When you look at most best 22's on here the thing missing is probably just a little bit of extra pace. If Colyer's selected he can provide that.
Out of interest, why the focus on a player's leap? Crozier leaped alright. Just seems an odd method of splitting players to me.

I wish people would stop saying Logue and Duman are in opposition for a place in the team. One has a massive leap and is at least 12kgs heavier. (Even if thats not their official listings have a look at photos even. It would be more than ten kgs easily). The other has a suspect leap, but is much better at ground level.

With Duman's height he is well suited to playing on smalls as it means he's lack of leap. (which is obvious if you watch him up close in marking drills on taller players) doesnt matter. Duman reminds me a bit of a right footed Grant Birchall in that despite his height (birchall is 193cm) he's had a very good career playing on predominately smalls. Duman is also terrific below his knees and he's light frame helps him to change direction quickly.

Logue reminds me of a young Alex Rance, but with the capability of manning third talls if Hamling and Alex Pearce are selected. Logue's in competition with the likes of Nyhuis, Cox, Kersten or the equally athletic Hughes. Duman is in competition with the coaches desire to rotate Cerra, Conca, S.Hill and Blakely off half back and onball to to allow an extra mid to be selected.

At worst Duman is likely to be the first player picked if we have an injury to Wilson or Ryan. At best he's in team and both Conca and Cerra spend the majority of their playing time midfield while rotating half back for only brief periods when one of Wilson, Ryan or Duman are interchanged.
Yeah I've read your comments re Logue and Duman, and as a training watcher I respect your opinion. Happy to have one of my own as well. But if it frustrates you, maybe don't engage in the debate.

The reality is that Logue wasn't in the team last year, and Duman is not a best 22 lock for me. Makes it a legitimate discussion point. I personally like both players but I am unconvinced about the ability of talls to play on all smalls, so generally would prefer to not go too tall in defence. I wouldn't be surprised or unhappy if Carter isn't part of the defence in the next few seasons to achieve this.

I subscribe to the view that a midfielder is a virtual certainty for the defence, and that is a great spot for Cerra to get to work, possibly swapping with Conca and SHill as required for rotations, with Blakely slotting permanently into the midfield. Midfield is one of our weaker areas and rotating via defence is an established pattern for us. Duman is not in contention with any of these players at all. That leaves the only contentious spots being between Duman and Logue.

Even so, my ideal backline is more or less the following, so Duman becomes a bench spot candidate.

Ryan Pearce Wilson
Logue Hamling Cerra/Conca/Hill

Even so, my ideal backline is more or less the following, so Duman becomes a bench spot candidate.

Ryan Pearce Wilson

I would have Pearce at CHB with Hamling at Full Back but depends who the other side lines up. Pearce would take the more mobile fwd.

Also see Carter in a few years fighting for the HBF attacking defender role.

ABC radio mentioned a Michael Walter's hammy injury?

I heard him say to Ross when I got there today that he will be back with the main group next week and he looked fine when he finished the session so I don't know where that info came from.

Are we just setting ourselves up to be let down with all of these Bennel TTHD pre season reports?

*Please God, PLEASE, let him stay fit and out of trouble through the preseason and beyond*

It's not so much Harley TTHD as much as he is fit and is showing just how clean and skillful he is.

An old Ziffel saying, " Even the wrong train can get you to the right station ".

Great IMO. Just seems super confident now. I went down last week-Tabs n Bradley impressed me the most. Tabs was just too strong and Hill was Everywhere.

I think Tabs is very underrated.
Jeremy McGovern is the only player in the AFL who has averaged more then Taberner for Contested Marks per game in the last two seasons.
(Jeremy McGovern 2.66, Taberner 2.47, Mason Cox 2.27, Charlie Dixon 2.25)

I would have Pearce at CHB with Hamling at Full Back but depends who the other side lines up. Pearce would take the more mobile fwd.

Also see Carter in a few years fighting for the HBF attacking defender role.
Yeah I've read your comments re Logue and Duman, and as a training watcher I respect your opinion. Happy to have one of my own as well. But if it frustrates you, maybe don't engage in the debate.

The reality is that Logue wasn't in the team last year, and Duman is not a best 22 lock for me. Makes it a legitimate discussion point. I personally like both players but I am unconvinced about the ability of talls to play on all smalls, so generally would prefer to not go too tall in defence. I wouldn't be surprised or unhappy if Carter isn't part of the defence in the next few seasons to achieve this.

I subscribe to the view that a midfielder is a virtual certainty for the defence, and that is a great spot for Cerra to get to work, possibly swapping with Conca and SHill as required for rotations, with Blakely slotting permanently into the midfield. Midfield is one of our weaker areas and rotating via defence is an established pattern for us. Duman is not in contention with any of these players at all. That leaves the only contentious spots being between Duman and Logue.

Ryan Pearce Wilson
Considering where in the preseason training thread then what I can say is in the sessions ive seen (only 5) Duman has been matched up on the likes of Ballaz, Swita, Matera and Shultz the vast majority of the time. He gets paired up with the small defenders when they break into groups and doesnt get paired against the taller players in one on one marking drills. He seems very mobile and able to change direction quickly and is definitely capable of building on his promising finish to last season You'd think he'd be the natural match-up for McCarthy, but today Blakely matched on Cam and Duman rotated on smaller players in one of the drills. The one time ive seen him match-up on talls was when he was matched up on tabs in a session before Christmas where Hamling Kersten and Alex Pearce were not participating in the main training. The only time ive seen him play on talls was in the session before the break. In a match sim drill Tabs dominated him in the air and Duman didnt seem to have a great leap going for marks ten metres away from me. His speed and agility are defintely a strength though.

Logue has played on Tabs, Lobb, Cox and McCarthy while also having cameos on the likes of Langdon and Swita. He's looked mobile and quick while running a top 5 2km time in the first run. Logue is far from a definite pick after his injury layoff. Ethan Hughes looks to have regained his confidence and working hard. Cox and Nyhuis are also capable of playing a third tall role. But if you're interested in thoughts on training it doesnt seem that Duman and Logue are in competition for the same spot. Someone who's seen more than me like Gaskin would be able to tell if my views are different to where Duman or Logue have trained overall in the preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering where in the preseason training thread then what I can say is in the sessions ive seen (only 5) Duman has been matched up on the likes of Ballaz, Swita, Matera and Shultz the vast majority of the time. He gets paired up with the small defenders when they break into groups and doesnt get paired against the taller players in one on one marking drills. He seems very mobile and able to change direction quickly and is definitely capable of building on his promising finish to last season You'd think he'd be the natural match-up for McCarthy, but today Blakely matched on Cam and Duman rotated on smaller players in one of the drills. The one time ive seen him match-up on talls was when he was matched up on tabs in a session before Christmas where Hamling Kersten and Alex Pearce were not participating in the main training. The only time ive seen him play on talls was in the session before the break. In a match sim drill Tabs dominated him in the air and Duman didnt seem to have a great leap going for marks ten metres away from me. His speed and agility are defintely a strength though.

Logue has played on Tabs, Lobb, Cox and McCarthy while also having cameos on the likes of Langdon and Swita. He's looked mobile and quick while running a top 5 2km time in the first run. Logue is far from a definite pick after his injury layoff. Ethan Hughes looks to have regained his confidence and working hard. Cox and Nyhuis are also capable of playing a third tall role. But if you're interested in thoughts on training it doesnt seem that Duman and Logue are in competition for the same spot. Someone who's seen more than me like Gaskin would be able to tell if my views are different to where Duman or Logue have trained overall in the preseason.
I think you are missing my point. I'm not saying that they will play the same role.

6 spots available, 5 spoken for, all other defenders are in competition for spot number 6.

In pre-season players can be given tasks to improve aspects of their game. Or test something out. Happy for them to play Duman on smalls doesn't necessarily mean he is the preferred/ideal option.

Last edited:
I think you are missing my point. I'm not saying that they will play the same role.

6 spots available, 5 spoken for, all other defenders are in competition for spot number 6.

In pre-season players can be given tasks to improve aspects of their game. Or test something out. Happy for them to play Duman on smalls doesn't necessarily mean he is the preferred/ideal option.
I think Nyhius has proven himself on playing the lock down for small/medium types, plus he brings aggression, tackling
to the table.
Really we have an abundance of defenders, and eventually Cerra will be wasted down back needed midfield.
Loss of form, injury will take care of rotations, luckily we have some depth all over the park.

I think Nyhius has proven himself on playing the lock down for small/medium types, plus he brings aggression, tackling
to the table.
Really we have an abundance of defenders, and eventually Cerra will be wasted down back needed midfield.
Loss of form, injury will take care of rotations, luckily we have some depth all over the park.

He was choking Robbie gray before that tackle. the bloke is desperate, and treats every game this same, like could be his last.
He'll be hard to push out of the side if he gets in!

to the table.
Yes.

Playing a midfielder in defence gives us another midfielder in the rotations, and I don't see Lyon giving that up.

Ryan Pearce Wilson

The legitimate point being made imo is that they are unlikely to be in direct competition for a spot despite both training in the backline. I see it being akin to speculating on who would get a spot in the backline between say an Ibbotson or a Duffield - it would very much depend on the make up of the others first picked and also the needs given the opposition.

The legitimate point being made imo is that they are unlikely to be in direct competition for a spot despite both training in the backline. I see it being akin to speculating on who would get a spot in the backline between say an Ibbotson or a Duffield - it would very much depend on the make up of the others first picked.
Ibbo and Duff were both best 22 preferred players though, whereas Logue and Duman have yet to establish that.

Did we ever see Ibbo or Duff preferred over the other?

I wish people would stop saying Logue and Duman are in opposition for a place in the team. One has a massive leap and is at least 12kgs heavier. (Even if thats not their official listings have a look at photos even. It would be more than ten kgs easily). The other has a suspect leap, but is much better at ground level.

With Duman's height he is well suited to playing on smalls as it means he's lack of leap. (which is obvious if you watch him up close in marking drills on taller players) doesnt matter. Duman reminds me a bit of a right footed Grant Birchall in that despite his height (birchall is 193cm) he's had a very good career playing on predominately smalls. Duman is also terrific below his knees and he's light frame helps him to change direction quickly.

Logue reminds me of a young Alex Rance, but with the capability of manning third talls if Hamling and Alex Pearce are selected. Logue's in competition with the likes of Nyhuis, Cox, Kersten or the equally athletic Hughes. Duman is in competition with the coaches desire to rotate Cerra, Conca, S.Hill and Blakely off half back and onball to to allow an extra mid to be selected.

At worst Duman is likely to be the first player picked if we have an injury to Wilson or Ryan. At best he's in team and both Conca and Cerra spend the majority of their playing time midfield while rotating half back for only brief periods when one of Wilson, Ryan or Duman are interchanged.

Does it really matter if people pair them up as they are both defenders and haven't fully established themselvesin the best 22?

There is 6 spots available and they are both trying to get a round 1 spot.

I thought that Duman was the FIND of 2018! Totally blown away by his defensive pressure, ability to find the ball and his great disposal.
A complete win from our scouts, an outstanding Rookie elevation!
Really looking forward to his 2019!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back