Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

My view is we (with the help of the umpires) s**t the bed, after being 5 goals up in the first quarter...not many teams lose from that position and dominance shown in it (1st Q).

was a Typical Way for Collingwood to lose a GF

He was generally considered our best player in the GF and had an excellent final's series. To suggest he is our fifth best midfielder is ignoring both statistics and facts. You are a very harsh judge of his worth as a player.

Could also say how Bad Steele,Treloar and Pendles played in the GF

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was generally considered our best player in the GF and had an excellent final's series. To suggest he is our fifth best midfielder is ignoring both statistics and facts. You are a very harsh judge of his worth as a player.

Beams Pendlebury Treloar Sidebottom.

Which one of those 4 is Adams better than ?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beams Pendlebury Treloar Sidebottom.

Which one of those 4 is Adams better than ?

They've all got their individual strengths and weaknesses so how do you apportion a ranking. If you were looking purely at 2018 form it's arguably Sidey, Beams, then Adams. If you're looking at form in the GF then it's Adams ahead of all of them. If you're looking at specific performance stats then it'd vary from stat to stat.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
They've all got their individual strengths and weaknesses so how do you apportion a ranking. If you were looking purely at 2018 form it's arguably Sidey, Beams, then Adams. If you're looking at form in the GF then it's Adams ahead of all of them. If you're looking at specific performance stats then it'd vary from stat to stat.

Well Pendlebury and Sidebottom finished above Adams in the BnF and Treloar would of too if he didn't have a long term injury. And of course Beams is a better player, so it's not too hard to rank them.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well Pendlebury and Sidebottom finished above Adams in the BnF and Treloar would of too if he didn't have a long term injury. And of course Beams is a better player, so it's not too hard to rank them.

Well that's 1 opinion.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I’m a huge Adams fan, he’s an absolute warrior, but I mean even I think that it’s pretty obvious heading into 2019 that he is fifth on the midfield rankings. My prediction is that he may jump ahead of Beams and Pendlebury this season but that’s just a prediction. Based on 2018, the ranking would be in my opinion:
1. Treloar
2. Sidebottom
3. Beams
4. Pendlebury
5. Adams

Adams is still a star who had a terrific finish to the year, but he has his limitations and his game-winning ability is small compared to those I ranked above him. We have five terrific midfielders - somebody has to be the fifth best.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
5th is about right. 4th/5th with Treloar with kicking holding them both back.
As for the GF, Adams was great in so many ways except his trademark half back turnover kick possibly cost us a flag.
As for 2019, Pendlebury might slip to 5th or even lower based on age but he'll be A BLOODY HANDY 5th+ midfielder.

Beams is my Copeland tip.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nice 5th best but....

Sorry don’t get the lower Pendlebury rankings of some, he’s still clearly our best pure mid. Sidebottom is in contention but pure mid, he ain’t Scott.

Watch Scott live, even if he isn’t as dynamic as you’d think previously, watch him, still powers to position, directs traffic, gets the most attention and his creation is sublime.
The guy is pure leadership through the crunches. Just gets on with the business.

For what it’s worth, Steele is second best as he’s uber elite as a runner and went up a cog in 2018 (likely explanation is team was better).

Beams based on 2018 goes third. He’s a star.

Then Adams pips Treloar mainly because Treloar carried that leg issue but otherwise Treloar by rights moves up a spot. Adams has that big game form too.

Now for 2019 let’s watch bear Sier add that vision and core strength. Going to be some midfield.

Oh (don’t care if you doubt it) if Mr Wells gets fit he’s that missing silk cog to add nightmares to any opposition.

Then just for Duckwood say hello to biatch Greenwood. You’re his!

Grundy!

need we say more... Cox for a helping hand even Moore to assist as required when there’s a bit of fatigue setting in.

Scary!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
That midfield depth....

It’s something else.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m a huge Adams fan, he’s an absolute warrior, but I mean even I think that it’s pretty obvious heading into 2019 that he is fifth on the midfield rankings. My prediction is that he may jump ahead of Beams and Pendlebury this season but that’s just a prediction. Based on 2018, the ranking would be in my opinion:
1. Treloar
2. Sidebottom
3. Beams
4. Pendlebury
5. Adams

Adams is still a star who had a terrific finish to the year, but he has his limitations and his game-winning ability is small compared to those I ranked above him. We have five terrific midfielders - somebody has to be the fifth best.

Ranking players is such a vexed question. So subjective. There aren't any wrong answers, just comes down to what you rate in a player.

For instance, how do Treloar, Sidey and Pendles go if Adams and Grundy aren't doing the grunt clearance work? What therefore is more important, the clearance, or what happens beyond that?

Pendles has long been widely accepted as our best player let alone midfielder, but even he has challengers now. Not that he was in any way poor in 2018, but the sublime was less common. That's to be expected, part the aging process, part a changing role, part improvement of team mates.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

That's not an actual overall ranking though, he just said "if you only look at this, it would be that, or if you only looked at that, it would be this".

If you asked me who I thought was better out of Gawn or Grundy and I said "well if you look at round 16 you would say Grundy is better, but if you look at round 17 then you could say Gawn is better", it's not really giving my own opinion is it?

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's not an actual overall ranking though, he just said "if you only look at this, it would be that, or if you only looked at that, it would be this".

If you asked me who I thought was better out of Gawn or Grundy and I said "well if you look at round 16 you would say Grundy is better, but if you look at round 17 then you could say Gawn is better", it's not really giving my own opinion is it?

In order, Sidey, Grundy, Adams, Pendles, Treloar based on 2018 performances. Beams would slot in behind Grundy.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Realistically we can have a maximum of 4 players rotating through inside mid, and 3 players rotating through the wing.

Inside mid ability:
1. Adams
2. Beams
3. Treloar
4. Sier

Outside mid ability:
1. Sidebottom
2. Pendlebury
3. Phillips

I'd just play Adams and Sier either in the guts or have him on the bench. Beams can rotate inside mid/forward, Treloar rotate inside mid/wing.
Phillips wing/bench, Pendlebury wing/half-back, sidebottom-wing/very occasionally inside mid.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nice 5th best but....

Sorry don’t get the lower Pendlebury rankings of some, he’s still clearly our best pure mid. Sidebottom is in contention but pure mid, he ain’t Scott.

Watch Scott live, even if he isn’t as dynamic as you’d think previously, watch him, still powers to position, directs traffic, gets the most attention and his creation is sublime.
The guy is pure leadership through the crunches. Just gets on with the business.

For what it’s worth, Steele is second best as he’s uber elite as a runner and went up a cog in 2018 (likely explanation is team was better).

Beams based on 2018 goes third. He’s a star.

Then Adams pips Treloar mainly because Treloar carried that leg issue but otherwise Treloar by rights moves up a spot. Adams has that big game form too.

Now for 2019 let’s watch bear Sier add that vision and core strength. Going to be some midfield.

Oh (don’t care if you doubt it) if Mr Wells gets fit he’s that missing silk cog to add nightmares to any opposition.

Then just for Duckwood say hello to biatch Greenwood. You’re his!

Grundy!

need we say more... Cox for a helping hand even Moore to assist as required when there’s a bit of fatigue setting in.

Scary!

Pendles lower ranking comes from his lowered performance last year, all be it given a role change.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendlebury finished 3rd in the Copeland behind the joint winners Sidebottom & Grundy. Maybe Beams' 2018 slots in ahead but that's hard to judge. Excluding the ruckman, Pendlebuy, a 5 time B&F, had the second best year of any midfielder according to Collingwood. I agree he hasn't quite been at his elite best the last few years but no one is rushing past him.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendles lower ranking comes from his lowered performance last year, all be it given a role change.
Yes lower last year, but made the top 40 AA.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendlebury finished 3rd in the Copeland behind the joint winners Sidebottom & Grundy. Maybe Beams' 2018 slots in ahead but that's hard to judge. Excluding the ruckman, Pendlebuy, a 5 time B&F, had the second best year of any midfielder according to Collingwood. I agree he hasn't quite been at his elite best the last few years but no one is rushing past him.

I'd be very wary of using the Copeland as a measure.

Back