Prediction Which of these players will step up and play regularly in 2019

2 votes- Which two players listed here will step up and play most games in 2019.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It would seem Balta is a backup for Jack or Lynch this season so he will get games you'd think at some stage (even though he is more a natural backman). Reckon he will leapfrog Moore as he is more a key forward and more a natural talent.
Garth is obviously next in line as a key backman. He might get games if we decide to use Rance in a more attacking role.

Yes
1. Garth.

2. Markov when Houli inevitably gets injured.

3. Baker will play a few games. Seems to be getting busy.

4. Naish will get a crack.

Note: RCD will take longer than people think. Likewise with Balta.
Yes ,it will be hard for the talls to get a game with Lynch coming in.Unless Riewoldt or Lynch get injured, there is no way any tall gets picked in the forward line.That leaves the backline and the ruck. Maybe Broad who is deceptively tall at 192cm, but more agile than other talls ,is under pressure. CCJones is not ready for ruck yet and Balta and Garthwaite wont be put in the ruck so it will be hard for them to get a spot. I can see some of our talls wanting a trade next year due to lack of opportunities.

Markov and Garthwaite

Love the upside with these two fellas . Don’t forget Markov was in the side very deep into 2017 , could’ve been a premiership player but fir Townsend’s & Graham’s stellar performances. Garthwaite needs to play regularly, but who misses out ? Oh the joys of having depth !!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

got a feeling lynch and jiewoldt are both gonna get injuries that leave them out for 10-15 games. VFL talls are gonna get a crack this year

Cheers Frank.

Houli nank broad graham rioli Deledio Mcintosh yarran Bolton conca Hampson Griffith Drummond Riewoldt have missed big chunks of the past 3 seasons and Martin’s unfortunate injury in the game against Collingwood the Brave . I don’t think we are any luckier than anyone else . That’s what SEN and the essendrug media mafia want you to believe .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes

Yes ,it will be hard for the talls to get a game with Lynch coming in.Unless Riewoldt or Lynch get injured, there is no way any tall gets picked in the forward line.That leaves the backline and the ruck. Maybe Broad who is deceptively tall at 192cm, but more agile than other talls ,is under pressure. CCJones is not ready for ruck yet and Balta and Garthwaite wont be put in the ruck so it will be hard for them to get a spot. I can see some of our talls wanting a trade next year due to lack of opportunities.
Balta's point of difference is his ability to play fwd, back, mid or in the ruck. With that in mind I'd like him being groomed for Grigg's role for a big chunk of 2019. And unless we win another flag, it is time for Grigg (& Houli) to depart. JackR is in career best form, (& Rance is quietly goiing about it OK too[most intercept marks last year)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

193 cm is enough and dont want him to grow anymore, Just need him to build his fitness and strength

Not expecting to see much of the following players in 2019 and waiting for them to develop in the vfl together
CCJ,Balta,Naish,RCD,Ross,Turner,English,Miller

Thats the way the Hawks did it during the years they won the flags , They would draft a kid and you wouldnt hear about him for 2-3 years then Bang a ready made soldier appeared. The Hawks development was brilliant
With the way height measurement seems to be recorded (a margin of error of about a foot) he needs to be recorded as 196cm so we can safely say he's probably 193cm.

Balta's point of difference is his ability to play fwd, back, mid or in the ruck. With that in mind I'd like him being groomed for Grigg's role for a big chunk of 2019. And unless we win another flag, it is time for Grigg (& Houli) to depart. JackR is in career best form, (& Rance is quietly goiing about it OK too[most intercept marks last year)

It's an exciting thought, and maybe the best role for Balta - tall winger that gives a chop-out in the ruck.

His a completely different prospect from Grigg. Kicks it further, competes better in the air and must be quicker. Not sure he has the running endurance and certainly is not the cunning old buggar Grigg is. I reckon we'll miss Grigga's ability to be completely on his own on the "fat-side" flank.

I'm gunna think of it as the "Richo winger", rather than the "Grigg role".

Im hoping we can see our way to making 4 or so changes to the team.

Balta, Garthwaite, RC-D, Ross, Moore Possibly Markov

One of the bigger mids has to get Conca's spot hope we bite the bullet and just get games into them.

Would have no problem replacing both Broad and Astbury with Garthwaite and Balta.Seems they are gunna play Balta fwd this yr so that is not likely to happen.

It may not happen but i hope we look something like this at some stage especially if injuries have hit.

Vlastuin - Garthwaite - Grimes
Rance - Balta/Astbury - Markov/Broad

Lambert - Martin - Grigg
Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia

Rioli - Riewoldt - Butler
Moore/Caddy/Balta - Lynch - Castagna

Caddy - Edwards - Higgins - Graham - RC-D - Ross - Weller

I for one am not going to lose any sleep if Conca already gone, Short, Houli, Ellis, McIntosh dont get games. Astbury and Broad are a little different but id be happy enough to see how others went in their place.
More than happy to see Caddy play mostly midfield and allow one of the talls to get games as a third tall fwd.

If we dont tweak things it just means younger players just wont get games and the gap/depth between those with experience in the 22 and those who arent gets wider and wider.

I still think we will run with a Ruck/Fwd along with both of JR and TL....
Grigg experiment has been worked out and Lynch won't ruck.

So I reckon the role will be played between Balta and Moore.

Both athletic enough to compete in Centre Bounces, and both with enough talent to take on 3rd tall defender (not so much the best or 2nd best KPD) while still be athletic enough to maintain our manic forward line pressure.

It will look something like:

Butler- JR - George
Bolton - Lynch - Caddy
Bench - Moore

I think from there, Nank, Moore will share Ruck duties and that combo will share 3rd tall duties with Caddy.
I think Butts is extremely important with his speed and we missed that late last year.
I think Rioli will move to a midfield roll, possibly out on a wing allowing Bolton a look in. If Rioli doesn't hold down the wing, he comes back in the fwd for Bolton

I still think we will run with a Ruck/Fwd along with both of JR and TL....
Grigg experiment has been worked out and Lynch won't ruck.

So I reckon the role will be played between Balta and Moore.

Both athletic enough to compete in Centre Bounces, and both with enough talent to take on 3rd tall defender (not so much the best or 2nd best KPD) while still be athletic enough to maintain our manic forward line pressure.

It will look something like:

Butler- JR - George
Bolton - Lynch - Caddy
Bench - Moore

I think from there, Nank, Moore will share Ruck duties and that combo will share 3rd tall duties with Caddy.
I think Butts is extremely important with his speed and we missed that late last year.
I think Rioli will move to a midfield roll, possibly out on a wing allowing Bolton a look in. If Rioli doesn't hold down the wing, he comes back in the fwd for Bolton
I just cant see it. Moore at 192cm will have exactly the same problems as Grigg at 190cm just not big enough or tall enough to compete.I can see him copping a serious injury if he does compete.

I mentioned this in another thread. Why dont we just bite the bullet play Balta in defense and he can take the ruck duties down back. Lynch at 199cm and even though he has done little in the ruck can take the ruck duties in the fwd half that leaves Nankervis to play between the arcs.

I hope we play Moore but i hope its as a third tall fwd in Caddys place and Caddy spends most of his time as an inside mid.

I just cant see it. Moore at 192cm will have exactly the same problems as Grigg at 190cm just not big enough or tall enough to compete.I can see him copping a serious injury if he does compete.

I mentioned this in another thread. Why dont we just bite the bullet play Balta in defense and he can take the ruck duties down back. Lynch at 199cm and even though he has done little in the ruck can take the ruck duties in the fwd half that leaves Nankervis to play between the arcs.

I hope we play Moore but i hope its as a third tall fwd in Caddys place and Caddy spends most of his time as an inside mid.
Have you watched Moore play?

He has the ability and attributes to compete in a ruck contest, Grigg just stands there. If you don't think Moore can play ruck, due to his height, why the hell due you think he could play a third "tall".

If you think he and Grigg offer the same, are you saying Grigg can play the third tall?

Height while relevant, does not paint the hole picture. Moore would jump at a ruck contest allwing to at least compete with most other second string ruckman, Grigg stands there and doesnt even compete.... Height is not the relevant factor when comparing these two for the 2ns ruck role...

The loss of Conca is matched by the gain of Lynch (in terms of first 22 player numbers). Lynch frees up Caddy/Dusty to play more time midfield. So Lynch essentially moves our players around to add higher level talent to the midfield to replace Conca.

If we change our game style then other guys get a game. But right now it's hard to see who drops from the first 22 on performance.

If the new ruck rules and/or changes to how teams play us means we need a second ruck, then we are looking at whether we play a genuine ruck (Soldo or CCJ) or tallish all rounder style (Chol, Balta, Moore). If the issue we face is ruck contests then it's Soldo time (maybe CCJ if he has matured quickly). If it's around the ground then Chol, Balta, Moore.

We'd be stupid IMHO to try and alter our back/forward line balance just so that we have extra height.

Other than that we might see Rioli move to the midfield and so Baker gets a gig. Shai might have the endurance and strength to play midfield and step right in (he's got the talent). One of the first years might come through. But they'll have to push out a damn good player. Conca was/is a good all round B grade mid, and he was our worst first 22 mid.

I can't see any reason for the coaches to change our set up dramatically. Player development might force a few things, and obviously Tom Lynch changes our forward line a bit.

But we do have space for younger players to step up and take a spot. We've got a lot of B grade quality guys. If, say, Menadue really takes it up a notch he'd be awesome off the back half and running through the middle. We've got a few of those guys that are ready to step in and do a job. But they have to prise that spot form someone that wants to keep it.

Injuries of course might open a space. Hope not.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Callum Coleman Jones getting a game or two this year if nank gets rested can see him leapfrogging Soldo this year as our preferred ruck backup

Garthwaite and RCD .
Cameos from Markov Baker and Balta.
Menadue will end up at the Suns in 12 months time with The Silky Butterfly if he doesn’t start hitting contests at full speed and using his speed to run from opponents and hitting blokes upfield.
Still has a 400m sprinters motor with a poor tank and little hurt factor. Also loses concentration in games even at vfl level and goes missing in stages , especially when the testosterone is needed in close battles.
Personally I think he won’t make it and all the other delistings and trades saved his bacon . Has the speed , but has a lot of deficiencies that counteract it.
I laugh every time I read this lol

Back