Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

fwiw Hogan is a gun.

He will kick 50+ goals for Freo if he stays on the park this year.

The fact Freo got him for less than 2 first roundpicks was a great deal for them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Will be the reason Melbourne don’t make top 4 this year in my opinion
Nah, we'll be a better team in 2019.

Viney is massive for us and like a new recruit having played only 7 games in the H&A.

May is a great addition, as is Kolodjashnij.

Hopefully Lever plays most of the year.

Weideman will be playing his 4th season and has bulked up over the off-season.

And other sub 100 game players, such as Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Oliver, Harmes, Petracca, Oscar McDonald, Salem, Fritsch, vandenBerg, Hunt, Hannan, Spargo can keep improving.

Last edited:

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There were interesting takes on Hogan last year. Some saying we play better without him. Then sometimes the same people saying we shouldn’t trade him. Last year Hogan certainly played he better games against the lower sides when we won more easily. However look back over the few years prior and it wasn’t always the case.
As mentioned above if we can get a full season out of Viney and Lever doesn’t miss too much, on top of May and KK, we’re going ok. As well and the younger players having natural improvement.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched Hogan train a few times since they all came back from the break. Foot injury has heeled bloody well. He's running heaps of laps and joining more of the main session each week, but not joining in match sims yet. Best case scenario so far. He's also looking motivated and appears to be fitting in very well with team mates.

For what it is worth if you live in Melbourne I wouldnt believe any of the dribble from radio hosts like Hardie. So far this preseason ive seen with my own eyes that they make stuff up. There was a story on Perth radio that the Dockers had a massive injury crisis, including Brad Hill re-injuring his leg. I went to training that day and saw an injury rehab group of 4, including Hogan. Brad Hill trained the whole session. There's also been a story on Perth radio that Hogan wouldnt be available to mid season. Hogan told a group of people who watch our training regularly he was on track to play round 1 barring a setback.

Honestly think the trade will benefit everyone involved. Its definitely reasonable to assume that someone who's been through what Hogan has in recent years benefits from being closer to family. Id be confident that Melbourne signed off on the trade because it allowed them to be compassionate to Hogan while at the same time brining in an overall package to the club (May, Kolo, 23) that makes sense from a football point of view.

Interestingly enough what many might not know is that pick 65 to Freo was also part of the trade. After all the multiple pick bids for Academy and Father Son prospects that pick got Freo Brett Bewley at 59. Brett Bewley has been training to rave reviews and has been discussed as a player who wi debut round 1.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were interesting takes on Hogan last year. Some saying we play better without him. Then sometimes the same people saying we shouldn’t trade him. Last year Hogan certainly played he better games against the lower sides when we won more easily. However look back over the few years prior and it wasn’t always the case.
As mentioned above if we can get a full season out of Viney and Lever doesn’t miss too much, on top of May and KK, we’re going ok. As well and the younger players having natural improvement.

TBH i don't think we will ever know how much you will truly miss him. There is so much natural development within your list as it stands plus the inclusions of the four guys you mentioned that your team is going to continue to progress with or without Jesse.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
TBH i don't think we will ever know how much you will truly miss him. There is so much natural development within your list as it stands plus the inclusions of the four guys you mentioned that your team is going to continue to progress with or without Jesse.

It's all about the impact May has for us. Last season key forward tore us to shreds. We were easily the highest scoring team in the league but conceded too easily. If May can save us a couple goals every game it will make more of a difference for us than Hogan playing as the 2nd forward. Plus we would have lost Weideman

It's all about the impact May has for us. Last season key forward tore us to shreds. We were easily the highest scoring team in the league but conceded too easily. If May can save us a couple goals every game it will make more of a difference for us than Hogan playing as the 2nd forward. Plus we would have lost Weideman

Add Viney into the mix and further development for the likes of Oliver and the supply is going to be more and more sporadic for those opposition monsters which by proxy will help May.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Add Viney into the mix and further development for the likes of Oliver and the supply is going to be more and more sporadic for those opposition monsters which by proxy will help May.

Not to mention a fully fit Jake Lever probably helps. You look at any back 6 and then add a ( fingers crossed) firing May and lever to it and well good things can happen!

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its funny how none of the 'we play better without him' melbourne supporters came out during trade period. Im pretty sure the majority were saying two first rounders or dont bother. Plenty abused freo supporters when they suggested a deal that was more than what the trade ended up. As someone who doesnt mind Melbourne I watched a few games towards the end of the year. Im pretty sure you'll find that Brayshaw, T.Mac, Harmes and Gawn going on great run of form was the reason you played some good football with Hogan out. Harmes was winning the footy all year, but had some terrific games where he also shutdown a gun player towards the end of the year while still racking up possessions. If Hogan was present your results would have still been better again.

As a freo supporter Im happy with the trade but hope the deal benefits Melbourne as well.

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Its funny how none of the 'we play better without him' melbourne supporters came out during trade period. Im pretty sure the majority were saying two first rounders or dont bother. Plenty abused freo supporters when they suggested a deal that was more than what the trade ended up. As someone who doesnt mind Melbourne I watched a few games towards the end of the year. Im pretty sure you'll find that Brayshaw, T.Mac, Harmes and Gawn going on great run of form was the reason you played some good football with Hogan out. Harmes was winning the footy all year, but had some terrific games where he also shutdown a gun player towards the end of the year while still racking up possessions. If Hogan was present your results would have still been better again.

As a freo supporter Im happy with the trade but hope the deal benefits Melbourne as well.

I can tell you as fact that whether Hogan helped or hindered us has been a debate on our board for 3 years now. Alot of people were never that big a fan of him.

What do you expect during trade period on here? Everyone thinks they actually have some power over deals. 2 first rounders is arbitrary bullshit. Pick 5 and 25 is far better than 17 and 18 even though it's 2 first rounders

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can tell you as fact that whether Hogan helped or hindered us has been a debate on our board for 3 years now. Alot of people were never that big a fan of him.

What do you expect during trade period on here? Everyone thinks they actually have some power over deals. 2 first rounders is arbitrary bullshit. Pick 5 and 25 is far better than 17 and 18 even though it's 2 first rounders
Um ok. The point I was making was that plenty seemed to rate him highly during trade period in what they said. It wasnt arbitary pick 5 and 6 with something going back was the suggestion by most Melbourne supporters. Not sure what you're on about in this thread, you seem to love contradicting yourself as much as possible.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Um ok. The point I was making was that plenty seemed to rate him highly during trade period in what they said. It wasnt arbitary pick 5 and 6 with something going back was the suggestion by most Melbourne supporters. Not sure what you're on about in this thread, you seem to love contradicting yourself as much as possible.

Come on mate. Don't think so highly of yourself, a bunch of people with not alot to do were negotiation with a bunch of people with not alot to do like it actually had some power.
It's pretty sad that it's mid January and you are still having a sook about it.

Contradicting myself? I've thought he was overrated for years. But if I'm trying to sell something I'm getting as much for it as I can, not trying to is idiotic

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Come on mate. Don't think so highly of yourself, a bunch of people with not alot to do were negotiation with a bunch of people with not alot to do like it actually had some power.
It's pretty sad that it's mid January and you are still having a sook about it.

Contradicting myself? I've thought he was overrated for years. But if I'm trying to sell something I'm getting as much for it as I can, not trying to is idiotic

Are you taking the piss? Hardly sooking by any stretch. Saying we got a better deal than expected that Im happy about, while also hoping Melbourne does well from the deal and its a win/win situation. The definition of bizzare is your view that anyone thought they had any say in trade negotiation by posting on here. Of course they didnt. They went to a footy forum to discuss what they thought in the same way you're discussing how Hogan is overrated. Pretty sure logic isnt your thing.

Last edited:

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Hmmm...hope he gets it together.
Great to watch when on song.

You’d think if you were getting paid $900k for your job you wouldn’t be out on the juice the sat night before your first game with your new club though.
Yeah if he's that desperate for a drink have it at home

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/cc99e4e77f91a90416866414c2498d25

Hmmm...hope he gets it together.
Great to watch when on song.

You’d think if you were getting paid $900k for your job you wouldn’t be out on the juice the sat night before your first game with your new club though.

Always thought Melbourne were winners in this trade given the certain 'baggage'/uncertainty around him.
IMO he hasn't even really developed much from his 1st year of footy when he won the rising star...hasn't really improved.

And then being able to, in part, turn him into May and more was a big win.

Freo have an unbalanced list...too many key forwards now and not enough mids.

Back