How many chances does Finch get???

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Indians have found him out. Now needs a completely remodelled technique if he's to save his career. Is a walking wicket (bowled) and the last place he should go is England against a swinging ball. Langer is wrong to persist he needs to cut now or our World Cup is toast.

This would suggest otherwise:

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
The other thing with the captaincy is this series is trying people out, he is probably under instructions to bowl certain bowlers at the death to see how they handle it as it’s an area Australia has struggled with for years. Hell Australia made over 90 runs from their last 10 today!
So like his own bad form with the bat it's Langer's fault again.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Certainly way out of form right now.

However, he is still ranked in the Top 20 ODI Batsmen (based on the past 4 or so years). Still ranked higher than Smith or Marsh - he's ranked below Warner.

Now, I'm not a fan of rankings in general, and as I have said, Finch is wa-a-a-a-a-y out of form right now. But, if he gets back into form, he's better than any other ODI opener we have (other than Warner - and who knows how good he will be with a year's break).

So, we (meaning the coaching panel available to CA) need to get him back in form by the World Cup in June.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos

How does that suggest otherwise? It proves that he once was good and is now out of form. India has found his weakness and every team in the WC will be following the blueprint on how to get him out. Seaming English pitches are only going to make things worse for him unless they've suddenly adopted drop in pitches.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How does that suggest otherwise? It proves that he once was good and is now out of form. India has found his weakness and every team in the WC will be following the blueprint on how to get him out. Seaming English pitches are only going to make things worse for him unless they've suddenly adopted drop in pitches.

He scored that in England. I'm not saying he isn't out of form, he clearly is and I would drop him too but let's not act like he's been found out. He's a bloke out of form, it happens.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
He scored that in England. I'm not saying he isn't out of form, he clearly is and I would drop him too but let's not act like he's been found out. He's a bloke out of form, it happens.

He has had a" lot of cricket" in all forms of cricket and captain of the 1 day side plus T20 side is a big ask in a side that is not traveling well is a big ask.Extra pressure opening for the test side which I do not agree has made it harder for him.NEEDS a rest but stick with him.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
He has had a" lot of cricket" in all forms of cricket and captain of the 1 day side plus T20 side is a big ask in a side that is not traveling well is a big ask.Extra pressure opening for the test side which I do not agree has made it harder for him.NEEDS a rest but stick with him.
I don't want him dropped, he has enough credits in the bank to stay for a while to regain form but geez this post is full of excuses.

One of the greatest odi innnings of all time,sorry t20 innings which makes it all the more amazing.

Wow,Australia 220 plus in the 17th over ,we struggle to make that in tests these days.

Last edited:
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Except it is a T20 innings.

Not many people realise he actually beat his own record fo the highest T20I innings about 6 months ago in Zimbabwe (172). Australia actually has the 3 highest individual T20I innings (Maxwell has the 3rd best ever - and Watto the 5th!). For a side that is pretty poor at T20, when we click, we have pretty good bats. Add Short, Lynn and Warner, and we're pretty dangerous.

Anyway - it just shows what Finch is capable of. In form, he's a lock for our ODI and T20I team.He also seems the best bet for skipper.

He's been tried at tests - eeehhhh - not the worst, but we should be able to do better.

He definitely goes to England for the WC.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Words no pictures. .the man knows how to play..give him kudos for an apache romp ad with 'his' bowlers'
He has the batsman's arms and the well toned traveling legs...
Renegade unite!!!

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He's absolutely cooked. Not just out of from, he has forgotten how to bat entirely. If he wasn't Finch he'd have been given a spell before the team went to India. I'd rather open with Khawaja in the ODI's coming up than be starting the innings one down.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think he gets 2/3 of the ODIs and if he fails in those, we should look past him perhaps. Whether or not that happens, who knows?

Obviously not ideal to replace a captain and top order batsman this close to the World Cup - hope he comes good but he has been horribly out of form for a while now.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Australia coach Justin Langer is confident runs are just around the corner for out-of-form captain Aaron Finch.

Finch was dismissed for eight in the historic seven-wicket T20I win over India in the early hours of Thursday morning, Australian time, to extend his lean trot to 19 innings without a half-century in national colours across 50- and 20-over formats

The 32-year-old has admitted how challenging his first summer as a three-format international player has been but Langer says he has the backing from everybody in the Australian setup.

"He's such a good player, such a good person, captain of the team, we know he'll come good," Langer said in Bengaluru on Thursday.
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aar...australia-india-odi-series-captain/2019-02-28

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
finch.png

A lot apparently, last 20 white ball knocks above.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Langer says he’s working hard and a good bloke so leave him alone everyone.

On a serious note, he’s earned the right to be stuck with for a prolonged period. He will come good, hopefully before or during the World Cup or his papers will be stamped.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Played a whole 2 series since his last ODI century, which may be a long time but then you consider no one else in the team today has scored a century in over 2 years. Finch scored more centuries last year than the entire team has managed in their careers. That’s why they stick with him
So at what point from here do you drop him? If he fails this series do you give Short a chance v Pakistan in preparation for the WC? If not and Finch fails v Paks do we go to the WC with a massively out of form opener and skipper? When is enough enough?

So at what point from here do you drop him? If he fails this series do you give Short a chance v Pakistan in preparation for the WC? If not and Finch fails v Paks do we go to the WC with a massively out of form opener and skipper? When is enough enough?

They won’t go back to Short yet. Short should demonstrate he can dominate a T20 International before they go back there.

The obvious option is Warner. Khawaja has probably done just enough. They might look at Khawaja/Warner opening

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
They won’t go back to Short yet. Short should demonstrate he can dominate a T20 International before they go back there.

The obvious option is Warner. Khawaja has probably done just enough. They might look at Khawaja/Warner opening
Khawaja has been meh at best, can't rotate the strike and is a garbage fieldsman.

Back