Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

However female cricketers are becoming more aesthetically pleasing regarding techniques both batting and bowling.

The AFLW should aspire to become more of how female cricket is being played currently. It is entertaining and actually is skilled.

Compared to AFLW where it looks unskilled and another form of welfare for semi-athletic women.

Don't even get me started on AFLW. Country footy sides would beat them

I've been surprised by the quality of women's cricket. I also have a daughter and appreciate that she will be able to watch it if so inclined. But let's not pretend it makes up in any way for removing the pinnacle of 50-over cricket.

An women or men should be able to watch it if they want, but let's be clear that it's a separate product.

Without a backlash against this communications Minister nothing changes. I'd urge everyone to contact their local member to complain. There's nothing stopping him from "asking" channel seven to simulcast.

Without a backlash against this communications Minister nothing changes. I'd urge everyone to contact their local member to complain. There's nothing stopping him from "asking" channel seven to simulcast.
It's too late to change. Reversing the decision would cause a financial disadvantage to Fox, which means they could probably sue. Any and all complaints should be directed to CA, pointing out that you won't be buying Fox and they have potentially killed international ODIs and T20s for a few bucks.

What would channel 10 have had the rights to if their bid was accepted by CA?

Everything, tests, ODIs, T20s, BBL, WBBL and even Sheffield Shield. They would have used all of their 3 channels to show them.

CA thought Ten were too low rent even though they had turned the BBL into a ratings winner, better to go with Ch7 who are experts at shafting the public with their AFL coverage by on selling rights to Foxtel, why not let them do the same with cricket.

Everything, tests, ODIs, T20s, BBL, WBBL and even Sheffield Shield. They would have used all of their 3 channels to show them.

CA thought Ten were too low rent even though they had turned the BBL into a ratings winner, better to go with Ch7 who are experts at shafting the public with their AFL coverage by on selling rights to Foxtel, why not let them do the same with cricket.

And is it true 10 were like $20m short of securing the rights?

About $200m short but they weren't given a chance to re-negotiate as the deadline was when Ch10's CBS bosses in the US were still asleep.

CA had no real interest in dealing with Ch10 though, or a combined Ch10/Ch9 deal, they wanted to get into bed with a Ch7/Foxtel deal like the AFL.

I've got no doubt Sutherland was bribed by Foxtel to make that deal, he was on the way out anyway so decided to take another golden handshake.

He looked guilty as hell when he tried to sell that deal, he knew he was selling out the public for his own personal gain, he should be ashamed of himself.

What's wrong with foxtel. It's great. Skull gets to tell his decades old jokes and 1960's cringe worthy racism. Gilly's ears get to broadcast each game. Allan border gets the gig of a lifetime by being paid to virtually fall asleep on air and say ten sentences a day. Mark Waugh gets to tease BJ about his skinny frame by joking he's got tapeworms in him (deadset he said that tonight in the sixers game) Brett Lee gets paid to look pretty and say nothing of substance ever, mark Howard gets to explain how his nose was once white but when he met Shane warne in the comm box it went brown fairly quickly. Shane warne gets to talk utter shite game in game out, Michael Vaughan is a young Geoffrey boycott in the making full of snarky passive aggressive comments and the wisdom of Ricky ponting is nowhere to be found. What's not to like?

If I recall, they were $40m short if the magic $1b figure but would have shown everything. When it was agreed that Foxtel would be a partner, 10 were $2m less than 7, but CA basically didn’t want them. Fox were never going to allow it to be 10 after CBS snatched 10 from under Lachlan Murdoch’s nose. CA and Fox were in bed together early to screw the average fan over.

I've got no doubt Sutherland was bribed by Foxtel to make that deal, he was on the way out anyway so decided to take another golden handshake.

I don't think anyone at CA was bribed. They cared more about their short term bonuses than what cricket will be like in 15 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone at CA was bribed. They cared more about their short term bonuses than what cricket will be like in 15 years.
It's also a function of the corporatised board. If it was full of state association reps as it was previously, they'd have been more interested in what happens at ground level, whereas the board members now have no skin in the game - they take their directors fees and free tickets and ride off into the sunset once they're done.

shocked that CA AREN'T trying to make some coin off their archives. That's so unlike them.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...es-trip-down-memory-lane-20190117-p50rwh.html

Last year I did some research on what was playing on Melbourne TV in 1970. One thing I noticed that whilst expected, the ABC covered much of the Sheffield Shield, Channel 7 were actually covering Vic grade cricket on weekends, often with Bill Lawry commentating! I would highly doubt if any of these live broadcasts were kept for posterity, but it goes to show how much potentially could have been saved but never was.

You were the one that suggested their pricing was related to the cost of the sports. I simply pointed out that it can't be used as a justification because Netflix spends as much or more ($6.3 billion on original content in 2017 alone, the cricket rights cost Fox $1b over six years, shared with 7). Criticism of its pricing model is entirely justified.
Netflix is probably paying scratch all for some of their content. Some of the stuff that ends up on their service will be tied to much higher quality productions in bundles, I'd imagine.
Netflix is actually burning through a lot of cash and are in a massive amount of debt, I assume that they offer the product cheaply trying to corner the market with more and more subscribers and then eventually raise prices to help make it up.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/18/investing/netflix-cash-burn-stock/index.html

Netflix is actually burning through a lot of cash and are in a massive amount of debt, I assume that they offer the product cheaply trying to corner the market with more and more subscribers and then eventually raise prices to help make it up.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/18/investing/netflix-cash-burn-stock/index.html
Netflix's issue is its overspending rather than its pricing. A quick look around shows their price is comparable to other services like Stan, Amazon Prime etc. But Netflix are chasing both credibility and market dominance, which is why it's spending upwards of $100m on individual films. At some point, it will start to chase cheaper content, it's already dipping its toe into reality TV, sports docos etc. It may even decide that spending money on sports is as valuable as spending $100m on a film.

It certainly does have an interesting cash flow/debt structure, and prices will rise, but I doubt it will ever hit Foxtel numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back