Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

North v Geelong 1997 qualifying final on fox footy 5pm and 11pm tonight on fox footy.
If I remember correctly Ben Graham ga e an interview during the week before tha game stating he knew how to play and beat Carey (he beat Carey during the year when Wayne had just come back from shoulder reconstruction and basically had one arm).
Carey had a radio show at the time with Jason Dunstal and James hird, and they played Graham’s interview during the show and were laughing and geeing up Carey.
I remember Carey saying ‘he said that did he’, and Dunstall saying ‘if you could see Carey right now he has that look in his eyes’.
Never pook the bear
In 1997 my younger brother had his blue & white North footy confiscated by a teacher for playing kick to kick when he should have been in class, where the teacher told him he could get it back at the end of term. Come the end of term, the footy wasn't in the teachers office.
Pre game qualifying final 1997 a guy few seats down and a row back leans over to me "didn't you used to go to the school I teach at?"
I look and it's him, with his 2 kids are playing with a footy that looked awful familiar - "yeah, aren't you the teacher who took my little brothers footy?"
He went red "ah, I don't think so", to which I replied "bullshit, I can see where his name was on it!"
After several stern looks from fellow north members, I got the footy handed over. And we won. An evening of many redemptions.

In 1997 my younger brother had his blue & white North footy confiscated by a teacher for playing kick to kick when he should have been in class, where the teacher told him he could get it back at the end of term. Come the end of term, the footy wasn't in the teachers office.
Pre game qualifying final 1997 a guy few seats down and a row back leans over to me "didn't you used to go to the school I teach at?"
I look and it's him, with his 2 kids are playing with a footy that looked awful familiar - "yeah, aren't you the teacher who took my little brothers footy?"
He went red "ah, I don't think so", to which I replied "bullshit, I can see where his name was on it!"
After several stern looks from fellow north members, I got the footy handed over. And we won. An evening of many redemptions.

That story should be in the Gillette ad.

Stealing a kid's footy = toxic masculinity.

Lol. This is classic.

I went to the (horrible) '07 final against Geelong at the G. Was pretty warm that day and was in the city end stand at the bar before the game trying to calm my nerves with a beer. Get back to my seat for the first quarter and realise I've taken off my sunnies and left them (I thought) at the bar. I run back but they're nowhere to be found and the bar staff haven't been handed anything. :thumbsdown:

I head back after the first quarter for another beer and end up next to a Geelong supporter at the bar. He has a pair of sunnies on that look remarkably similar to mine.

Me: "Reckon they'd be my sunnies"
Him (sheepishly): "Yeah"

What sort of a flog runs off with someone's glasses and returns to the scene of the crime to order beers? Bloody Geelong supporters.

Lol. This is classic.

I went to the (horrible) '07 final against Geelong at the G. Was pretty warm that day and was in the city end stand at the bar before the game trying to calm my nerves with a beer. Get back to my seat for the first quarter and realise I've taken off my sunnies and left them (I thought) at the bar. I run back but they're nowhere to be found and the bar staff haven't been handed anything. :thumbsdown:

I head back after the first quarter for another beer and end up next to a Geelong supporter at the bar. He has a pair of sunnies on that look remarkably similar to mine.

Me: "Reckon they'd be my sunnies"
Him (sheepishly): "Yeah"

What sort of a flog runs off with someone's glasses and returns to the scene of the crime to order beers? Bloody Geelong supporters.

Was this him?

IMG_4275.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah this bloke.. the Cats colours are a dead give away..

View attachment 605863
I loved his song about the trade of Carl Steinfort from Geelong to Collingwood in 2000:

They said, get back, honky cat
Better get back to the woods
Well, I quit those days and my redneck ways
And, oh oh oh oh, oh, change is gonna do me good

Nek minnit:

Reporter: You're playing well Ben, happy with your form?

Ben: I just got to keep doing my job for the team and earn the respect of the senior players so I'm taking it one week at a time.

The difference is, that he worked his arse off on the court and didn't put up the crap performances these guys have.
Both of these guys have spent most of their careers ranked around the 20 mark and have win multiple tournaments. Tomic has a 17-4 record in Davis Cup, Kyrgios won a Hopman Cup.

Tomic is making his way back after injury amd mental health issues, and has done it by going through qualifying and playing Challenger tournaments, ie the hard way. Kyrgios has had a dodgy hip and it affected his ranking, but he still went into this week about 50th.

We want our sports stars to be humble suburban boys and keep a low profile, and these guys don't want to do that so they get treated horribly by the media that instead do a group wank over heroic losses by battlers.

Both of these guys have spent most of their careers ranked around the 20 mark and have win multiple tournaments. Tomic has a 17-4 record in Davis Cup, Kyrgios won a Hopman Cup.

Tomic is making his way back after injury amd mental health issues, and has done it by going through qualifying and playing Challenger tournaments, ie the hard way. Kyrgios has had a dodgy hip and it affected his ranking, but he still went into this week about 50th.

We want our sports stars to be humble suburban boys and keep a low profile, and these guys don't want to do that so they get treated horribly by the media that instead do a group wank over heroic losses by battlers.

They have consistently been pains in the Tennis elbow whether st the top at or at the bottom

I've lightened up on Tomic ever since his I'm A Celebrity stint but as tennis players on home soil they (and Gavrilova) might as well have stayed home.

The difference is, that he worked his arse off on the court and didn't put up the crap performances these guys have.

Agree. A bit like Boomer in that he did everything in his power to not only overcome deficiencies but to be the absolute best player he could be. Nothing but admiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back