Opinion North Board-Media & Entertainment

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Halfway through. Geez he is good.

He’s the GOAT of podcasting. Have you tried History on Fire? Another history podcast that I really liked was Fear and loathing in Journalism in the Martyr made podcast. The bloke who made it gets a lot of flak because he comes across as far right on Twitter but it doesn’t come out at all in his podcast.

Last edited:

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s the GOAT of podcasting. Have you tried History on Fire? Another history podcast that I really liked was Fear and loathing in Journalism in the Martyr made podcast. The bloke who made it gets a lot of flak because he comes across as far right on Twitter but it doesn’t come out at all in his podcast.
Nah man. Will check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m a sucker for history podcasts. History of Rome, Emperors of Rome, Tides of History, Revolutions, Hardcore History, History on Fire

It’s a sickness lol

I’m a sucker for history podcasts. History of Rome, Emperors of Rome, Tides of History, Revolutions, Hardcore History, History on Fire

It’s a sickness lol
As a historian myself, Carlin’s attention to detail is excellent and he’s a joy to listen to.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a historian myself, Carlin’s attention to detail is excellent and he’s a joy to listen to.

His ability to get the listener humanise and relate to people who lived hundreds of years ago is unparalleled.

He’s not always the most accurate historically (though he always uses credible sources), which he admits himself, his main objective is to try and make people realise that the things we read about, or in this case hear about are experienced by people who feel the same way we do. It’s easy to read about atrocities and dehumanise the people who experienced them, Carlin does a great job of getting his audience to identify with the people who are living through the events as fellow humans.

His ability to get the listener humanise and relate to people who lived hundreds of years ago is unparalleled.

He’s not always the most accurate historically (though he always uses credible sources), which he admits himself, his main objective is to try and make people realise that the things we read about, or in this case hear about are experienced by people who feel the same way we do. It’s easy to read about atrocities and dehumanise the people who experienced them, Carlin does a great job of getting his audience to identify with the people who are living through the events as fellow humans.
He does get caught up with over-using his favourite historians and he does have his bias towards entertaining, but not necessarily 100% accurate, sources, but he does that to humanise history as well as generate more entertaining story-telling. He was able to humanise the great Assyrian Empire, which takes a huge effort, and he has a good knack for calling out those that are unfairly treated by history.

My favourite was his piece on the First World War in describing how efficient and machine-like the Imperial German Army was. His work on the ancient Persians was excellent, especially the way he treated Herodotus perfectly as a semi-reliable historian, who wanted to entertain his audience.

So finally got to see ‘They shall not grow old’ today

Outstanding

The last 5 minutes put a different spin on what you might expect about the return to Civilian life from the mouthes of the men themselves when compared to how it is viewed today
As a bit of a fan of the German military, I did like this part.

I should watch the rest of it. The first thing I always think about First World documentaries is the returning soldiers and the PTSD they had to put up. That is not even including countries that lost the war and those soldiers that had to return their home defeated, feelings of deep shame and scarred for life. Or even the poor Russians returning to a civil war and 70 years of communist rule.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He does get caught up with over-using his favourite historians and he does have his bias towards entertaining, but not necessarily 100% accurate, sources, but he does that to humanise history as well as generate more entertaining story-telling. He was able to humanise the great Assyrian Empire, which takes a huge effort, and he has a good knack for calling out those that are unfairly treated by history.

My favourite was his piece on the First World War in describing how efficient and machine-like the Imperial German Army was. His work on the ancient Persians was excellent, especially the way he treated Herodotus perfectly as a semi-reliable historian, who wanted to entertain his audience.

That king of kings series was awesome. Brutal but awesome. Two things stay in my head the most about that is how the Assyrian king had a carving of him keeping the head of a concurred king on a pike and the queen as a sex slave. Also making all the nobles hand over their children to be executed. Brutal.

Right now, We’re probably living in the best time to be alive in human history. Even that depends on where you’re born

That king of kings series was awesome. Brutal but awesome. Two things stay in my head the most about that is how the Assyrian king had a carving of him keeping the head of a concurred king on a pike and the queen as a sex slave. Also making all the nobles hand over their children to be executed. Brutal.

Right now, We’re probably living in the best time to be alive in human history. Even that depends on where you’re born
Even the comments regarding the silver slipper of hard people’s becoming soft from decades and centuries of rule is spot on. The (ill)tolerance of violence of a specific civilisation over time, re current men not being able to survive as well as WW1 era men.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even the comments regarding the silver slipper of hard people’s becoming soft from decades and centuries of rule is spot on. The (ill)tolerance of violence of a specific civilisation over time, re current men not being able to survive as well as WW1 era men.

Absolutely. I can’t remember exactly but it was something like walking up the stairs in heavy boots but walking down in silk moccasins.

Just finished part II of Hardcore History’s Supernova in the East. Brilliant as always.

No one does it like Dan Carlin

Slightl tangent - damn you VK, I followed your recommendation to GreatBradScott of Emperors of Rome a few weeks ago. Before I realised it, I'm 55 episodes in, the rest of my podcast backlog is suffering, I've developed an unseemly crush on Rhiannon Evans, I'm neglecting my family and friends ... it's just a bad situation and I blame you.

(also, has Carlin gotten better over the last half dozen years? I found him a bit of a pompous blowhard when I last listened, but everyone seems to love him.)

It’s a sickness lol
If you've got the bandwidth for a loooooong backlog, the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps is very good.

And I really enjoyed Last Stop To Nowhere while it was running. There is an incomplete archive that has resurfaced at http://laststoptonowhere.com/. Not that I've anything against Mike Duncan et al - History of Rome and Revolutions are great - but I really enjoy the different dynamic of two people talking about a history topic compared to a single author reading a script.

There's also Kick To Kick, a year by year history of the VFL/AFL that's currently up to about 1921. For 3 random dudes with not much listenership they've done a good job of bringing the early years to life.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Slightl tangent - damn you VK, I followed your recommendation to GreatBradScott of Emperors of Rome a few weeks ago. Before I realised it, I'm 55 episodes in, the rest of my podcast backlog is suffering, I've developed an unseemly crush on Rhiannon Evans, I'm neglecting my family and friends ... it's just a bad situation and I blame you.

(also, has Carlin gotten better over the last half dozen years? I found him a bit of a pompous blowhard when I last listened, but everyone seems to love him.)

Haha. Love it! Your not on your own about Dr Evans she’s very likeable. I want to go to one of her lectures. Have you tried When in Rome?

Regarding Carlin, I think he does a great job of helping you put yourself in the moment he’s describing. Sometimes history podcasters can be a bit dry, unfortunately they’re usually the ones that are the most accurate.

If you've got the bandwidth for a loooooong backlog, the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps is very good.

And I really enjoyed Last Stop To Nowhere while it was running. There is an incomplete archive that has resurfaced at http://laststoptonowhere.com/. Not that I've anything against Mike Duncan et al - History of Rome and Revolutions are great - but I really enjoy the different dynamic of two people talking about a history topic compared to a single author reading a script.

There's also Kick To Kick, a year by year history of the VFL/AFL that's currently up to about 1921. For 3 random dudes with not much listenership they've done a good job of bringing the early years to life.

I’ll give History of Philosophy a go. I don’t haven’t listened to a heap of sport podcasts. I listened to a bit of the 93 season one (can’t remember what it was called) but never finished it. I’ll try Kick to Kick

Haha. Love it! Your not on your own about Dr Evans she’s very likeable. I want to go to one of her lectures. Have you tried When in Rome?
I have the unfortunate habit of being a bit of a completionist, and only the latest half dozen episodes are in the When In Rome feed. So I've backed the S4 kickstarter to get the backlog. Ask me again at about the byes.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have the unfortunate habit of being a bit of a completionist, and only the latest half dozen episodes are in the When In Rome feed. So I've backed the S4 kickstarter to get the backlog. Ask me again at about the byes.

I like your style, I’ll give it a go means helping funding it. I saw your interaction with Matt Smith on Twitter. At this rate you’re going to finish the lot before I get to my next episode. I’m swapping between that and the history of Rome. I was going to try and match up the periods of each podcast.

Hey, do you know where there are any decent podcasts about Carthage? Or even the Ottoman Empire?

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know Darryl Cooper (The Martyrmade Podcast) cops a lot of flack for being far right on social media, but I think his 6 part, 30 hour series on the conflict between Israel & Palestine is an absolute masterpiece.

Whatever his personal polictal opinions are he does an excellent job on trying to explain how it started to the way it is now, and he’s balanced on both sides.

I know Darryl Cooper (The Martyrmade Podcast) cops a lot of flack for being far right on social media, but I think his 6 part, 30 hour series on the conflict between Israel & Palestine is an absolute masterpiece.

Whatever his personal polictal opinions are he does an excellent job on trying to explain how it started to the way it is now, and he’s balanced on both sides.
There’s only one side who’s been hard done by here.
And it ain’t Israel

Back