Society/Culture Feminism - 2017 Thread - Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why you should be smart about things as a worker. Of course if something serious has happened you need to report it, but for your own good and future (if you really care about that job) you shouldn't be so righteous.

Our CEO proudly tells us how proud he is of our speak up culture. If I could, I would tell him that might be fine in the cities in the offices, but if you stick your head up on site, it will more often than not get knocked off. You pick your fights and hold your tongue if you know what's good for you, managers tend to have good memories and will use s**t against you, either covertly or overtly.

The good thing about this new Gillette ad is it brought back memories of the one from the 80s, which was boss.

When I saw that as a kid I wanted to become a man just so I could shave.

Yeah me too. I grew up loving that ad, seemed very inspirational.

I think that is the problem with the new one. The overall message is good but it is not inspirational. It is condescending.

What the people trying to get this message across need to know is that the idea that men or masculinity has a widespread fundamental problem, or is toxic, is wrong.

I grew up Catholic. I grew up with the idea that by default I'm bad and should feel guilty. It's not until later in life how i see that held me back. That I was actually a pretty good person and deserved to strive for better and not feel guilty about it.

This ad and similar communications remind me of that. It skews the frame from the outset and from there is just hard to get people to buy in.

Are young feminists and self professed strong, empowered women such as Cyrus, Grande, Perry etc actually some of the most exploited women in the entertainment industry?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it's feminism's fault?
Or feminism is important to help these women who are being expollited?

Feminism has let them down IMO. If I was a veteran in the feminism movement I would take them aside and tell them there's nothing strong or empowering about how they have been told to look and act. In fact they are being exploited by the industry.

Feminism has let them down IMO. If I was a veteran in the feminism movement I would take them aside and tell them there's nothing strong or empowering about how they have been told to look and act. In fact they are being exploited by the industry.
Lots of feminists do argue this.

Generally speaking, more of the older school loosley Marxist feminists will argue the sex and entertainment industries are exploitative.

But plenty of post structural feminists think choices are made in a vacuum and are representative of agency.

Feminism has let them down IMO.
I would take them aside and tell them there's nothing strong or empowering about how they have been told to look and act. In fact they are being exploited by the industry.
How should they look and act?
What do you think mate? Do you argue for the sake of it.
Can any of you make a point in good faith?... How am I the bully for asking you to explain/justify your position?
If you're not able to logically understand of explain your position... maybe your position should be reconsidered.

But plenty of post structural feminists think choices are made in a vacuum and are representative of agency.

Different branches of feminism - great! Is it the structurals who say to young girls go ahead throw on a backpack and travel through Africa - you will be fine. You're a strong, empowered woman.

Unicorns and rainbows.

Can any of you make a point in good faith?... How am I the bully for asking you to explain/justify your position?
If you're not able to logically understand of explain your position... maybe your position should be reconsidered.

No one said anything about bullying. Do you think they are being exploited? Maybe we need to look at their parents before the industry.

No one said anything about bullying. Do you think they are being exploited? Maybe we need to look at their parents before the industry.
Yeah many are being exploited.
Do you think the people trying to exploit them would want them to do something which would destroy their playform to a major market? Or do you think it might be them rebelling against that control?

I assume you're against the metoo movement, for whatever reason.

Yeah many are being exploited.
Do you think the people trying to exploit them would want them to do something which would destroy their playform to a major market? Or do you think it might be them rebelling against that control?

I assume you're against the metoo movement, for whatever reason.

Nope. I support the metoo movement provided its message doesn't get destroyed by the crazies and hypocrites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back