Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 4

Athlete ? She is just a very powerful gifted slob who has played in an era where Womens tennis has been junk. Steffi Graf was an Athlete. Can't judge players from different eras they say but Graf's forehand was a sledgehammer that she bludgeoned to all parts of the court, down the line, off forehand, cross court take your pick. She would have Williams off the bit inside 6 games.

FFS I thought you were a reasonable poster.

Yeah she can match her.
Will the match be postponed if it can't be started before midnight in Melbourne?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kerber or Muguruza vs Serena would be epic. Alternatively Kerber and Muguruza would be an awesome match-up as the two best players of the last several years not named Serena Williams. Is a Kerber vs Mug match-up even possible with the draw?

That's a load of crap. Serena has the greatest female serve of all time. That alone would have won her sets off graf.

Go watch Serena from the London olympics in 2012. Phenomenonal tennis. She was simply amazing.
Jelena Janković#18 W 6–3, 6–1
Urszula Radwańska #45 W 6–2, 6–3
Vera Zvonareva #13 Win 6–1, 6–0
QF Caroline Wozniacki#8 W 6–0, 6–3
SF Victoria Azarenka# 1 W 6 –1, 6–2
G Maria Sharapova# 3 Win 6–0, 6–1

Yep not only is she the best power player I've seen in my life, she's also the best precision player I've seen in my life, and the most athletic. It's a lethal cocktail that I think truly can't be stopped when it all comes together. Whether it ever does again though is the great unknown. Even so far in the tournament, she's been totally dominant, and her shot-making and movement looks better than it has in ages, but that powerful serve has been awry thus far. And even in the AO in 2017, before her lay-off, her powerful serve was totally on point and saved her points that she otherwise may have lost given her movement that tournament wasn't great. I think 2012-2014 was the last time all three of her great qualities came together at once.

Amazing that Konta plays superbly for that whole set and then Garbi just ends her in 2 points

Could say the same thing about the 2nd set. Muguruza was on top the entire set, played a couple of poor points in the TB.

stoisle

Team Captain
Jul 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I know these late day session finishes are rare but I have always thought that an 11am start was too late. Every court should start at 10am.

4 players and thousands of spectators greatly inconvenienced. Djokovic might not get on until 11:30pm.
Back in the 90's only RLA started at 11am all others were at 10am. You could watch a Show Court before heading into RLA.

I remember Hingis complaining one year about being Number 1 and starting at 10.

I know these late day session finishes are rare but I have always thought that an 11am start was too late. Every court should start at 10am.

4 players and thousands of spectators greatly inconvenienced. Djokovic might not get on until 11:30pm.
Previous 2 days (Tuesday and Wednesday), the day session at Rod Laver finished at 4pm. Move the starting time back an hour and they would have finished just after lunch!

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Day 4 Seeds Out

(7) Dominic Theim - 4095 - Defending 180 - Loses 135 - New Points: 3960
(23) Carla Suarez Navarro - 2153 - Defending 430 - Loses 360 - New Points: 1793
(24) Hyeon Chung - 1585 - Defending 720 - Loses 675 - New Points: 910
(29) Gilles Simon - 1280 - Defending 45 - Loses 0 - New Points: 1280
(32) Philipp Kohlschreiber - Defending 1215 - Gains 35 - New Points: 1250

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
That's a load of crap. Serena has the greatest female serve of all time. That alone would have won her sets off graf.

Go watch Serena from the London olympics in 2012. Phenomenonal tennis. She was simply amazing.
Jelena Janković#18 W 6–3, 6–1
Urszula Radwańska #45 W 6–2, 6–3
Vera Zvonareva #13 Win 6–1, 6–0
QF Caroline Wozniacki#8 W 6–0, 6–3
SF Victoria Azarenka# 1 W 6 –1, 6–2
G Maria Sharapova# 3 Win 6–0, 6–1

In your opinion. I'll stand by mine. Graf would towel her. Btw The Olympics Tennis ? LMFAO.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep not only is she the best power player I've seen in my life, she's also the best precision player I've seen in my life, and the most athletic. It's a lethal cocktail that I think truly can't be stopped when it all comes together. Whether it ever does again though is the great unknown. Even so far in the tournament, she's been totally dominant, and her shot-making and movement looks better than it has in ages, but that powerful serve has been awry thus far. And even in the AO in 2017, before her lay-off, her powerful serve was totally on point and saved her points that she otherwise may have lost given her movement that tournament wasn't great. I think 2012-2014 was the last time all three of her great qualities came together at once.

I thought you were a reasonable poster. The highlighted shows you have not seen much tennis over your life time.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
In your opinion. I'll stand by mine. Graf would towel her. Btw The Olympics Tennis ? LMFAO.
Please don't just ignore my facts with a baseless comment on olympics. The london olympics was thr most regarded opympic tennis tournament in history, due to its location. Look at her opponents in that tournament, look at the scoreline. She beat grand slam champions, finalists, 4 ex #1 players in the world in sensational fashion. I bet you haven't seen any of her play from that tournament. If you had, there is no way you can say graf would have beaten her comfortably or serena wouldn't win 6 games. You are wrong.

At their best, Serena would have won matches and steffi would have won matches. You claiming graf is that fsr ahead of her is wrong, based on my experience of having watched both of them play.

They played twice in 1999, steffi being 30 and serena 17. Both matches ended 7-5 in the third set. Serena won a match and steffi won a match. But go on, stand by your comment that steffi would towel her.

Last edited:

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Please don't just ignore my facts with a baseless comment on olympics. The london olympics was thr most regarded opympic tennis tournament in history, due to its location. Look at her opponents in that tournament, look at the scoreline. She beat grand slam champions, finalists, 4 ex #1 players in the world in sensational fashion. I bet you haven't seen any of her play from that tournament. If you had, there is no way you can say graf would have beaten her comfortably or serena wouldn't win 6 games. You are wrong.

At their best, Serena would have won matches and steffi would have won matches. You claiming graf is that fsr ahead of her is wrong, based on my experience of having watched both of them play.

They played twice in 1999, steffi being 30 and serena 17. Both matches ended 7-5 in the third set. Serena won a match and steffi won a match. But go on, stand by your comment that steffi would towel her.

I will.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Personal attack when proven wrong? Nice.

You have trouble differentiating between a personal attack and advice ? This conjecture started over me responding to somebody stating Williams is an Athlete. In my opinion she is not she is about as much an Athlete as David Boon was when batting for Australia or Greg Ritchie or John Daley waddling around a golf course take your pick. She is the best player of her era which imo has been largely substandard and inconsistent for competition. Graf was the best of her era and what you would accurately call an Athlete. You obviously are a huge Fan so I won't spoil your adulation any further.

Back