Universal Love Welcome back Sam Mitchell! Signs as an assistant coach for three years

Who would have been our conditional past Captain?

If there is a conditional future Captain who will it be?
Would would it be. (it's conditional, so it wuld be base on a certain condition. It would be Joel Selwood, if he played for Hawthorn and everyone else was dead.) Will be is definitive. It will be Cooper Hodge.

startrek[1].jpg

I still feel with the addtion of Wingard and Scully into the team, our midfield is stronger than last year despite losing Mitchell.

That would be a given if Scully was ready to go but atm he’s as much an option as Mitch Is

I was hoping we'd be able to use him more forward to take some pressure of Gunston and Bruest, but alas probably won't happen anymore.
I reckon he'll be better for us as a 60/40 mid/forward, mainly because of how we set up (no big forward) & how we move the ball around the ground.

I don't think his goal per game average will drop that much, despite his playing midfield time, by reasoning of him having a lesser opponent & more opportunity. As a forward, he'd demand the best medium defender, probs even more so than Breust; however, if he plays midfield (maybe 50%-60%), then he can slink forward during play & go to the oppo's rebounding defender (as opposed to a shutdown defender).

A prodigy like Winged God will do very bad things to a makeshift defender waiting to rebound at pace. Alternately, if the oppo gets wise & sends a shut-down defender to him then Wingers can play high, dragging the defender out of position, creating space for Gunners & Brooster & pulling their defensive structure apart. Wingard then still gets the rest he's chasing from the midfield role & creates overlap opportunities for our wingmen in Scully & Smitty, to power past high-half-forward & into the space Wingers has created.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Wingard will be part of our midfield rotation. He will spend as much time as breust in the middle. We will have atleast one of breust or wingard in the middle

Bruest is rather average in the middle, so hopefully he doesn't spend to much time there.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bruest is rather average in the middle, so hopefully he doesn't spend to much time there.
For someone with Bruests skill set it has always puzzled me why he isn't more effective at center bounces.

He has speed, awareness in traffic and a killer don't argue. A great mystery and a rare criticism of a super player.

Last edited:

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For someone with Bruests skill set it has always puzzled me why he isn't more affective at center bounces.

He has speed, awareness in traffic and a killer don't argue. A great mystery and a rare criticism of a super player.

Breust is great at judging the ball in flight, in space and at arriving at the contest at speed - think of his great crumbing goals - most are incredible crumb, then a pretty simple snap. I don't think he is actually that quick, just an expert at manipulating space and timing.

In the middle, there isn't room for him to hit the contest at speed - he's starting from an almost stationery position so cannot 'control' the contest in any way. Think how often you see Breust one out in a marking contest, then recover first to win the loose ball - it's certainly not a feature of his like it was for Rioli (or Wingard).

So playing in the middle takes away one of his elite attributes, and whilst he still possesses the don't argue and evasion - he's no longer trying to hit a fixed target (goals) - instead trying to find a team-mate.

I think that's why he always promises so much, but just tantalises and cannot make the next step.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bruest just lacks the endurance to play midfield, a player like Buyrgoyne who has a similair tank can get way with it due to his elite speed, Mitchell can get away with it due to his incredible endurance, Breust just can't sustain his elite qualities long enough to play full time midfieldto that level. He probably could be B class mdifielder if he was played there full time but as a small forward he's elite.

Bruest just lacks the endurance to play midfield, a player like Buyrgoyne who has a similair tank can get way with it due to his elite speed, Mitchell can get away with it due to his incredible endurance, Breust just can't sustain his elite qualities long enough to play full time midfieldto that level. He probably could be B class mdifielder if he was played there full time but as a small forward he's elite.
People that want Punky to be a full time mid seem to think that 50 goal small forwards grow on trees.

I think he could be better than B grade as a mid but I agree he is elite as a small forward.

Clarkson is about using players as best suits the team

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
People that want Punky to be a full time mid seem to think that 50 goal small forwards grow on trees.

I think he could be better than B grade as a mid but I agree he is elite as a small forward.

Clarkson is about using players as best suits the team
I got a good laugh when the media proposed Dangerfield or Martin ect could kick 100 goals if they played as a forward full time, seemingly with the logic a small forward position is significantly easier, it's not and to have a small forward that can impact week in week out is such a rare commodity they would have to be a dangerfield or an Ablett to be worth playing elsewhere.

Back