Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I disagree, and the argument can't go far from here between us because we'll just sling back and forward. But i enjoy AFLW, and it's not going to be a fad, but i think it can be viable.

From a simple stand point, if we're going to expand the league teams should play each other once

Yah I don't agree but we've made our points.
As an aside, Essendon came out and said they felt their bid would make a profit in year 1 with free attendance.

I think there’s an underestimation of just how much merchandise and how many memberships are being sold due to the AFLW.

Those figures would have been manipulated, there is no way they are including total running costs separate.
They don’t exist, expansion of sales of AFL memberships covering costs I believe

Lol

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Yah I don't agree but we've made our points.

Those figures would have been manipulated, there is no way they are including total running costs separate.

Lol
They do have to be manipulated, because if they aren't, that wouldn't support your argument, what more proof is required?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
They do have to be manipulated, because if they aren't, that wouldn't support your argument, what more proof is required?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Are you actually suggesting an AFLW team could be sustained entirely by merchandising? If you believe that, you've no place making sarcastic comments on any topic.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Are you actually suggesting an AFLW team could be sustained entirely by merchandising? If you believe that, you've no place making sarcastic comments on any topic.
Merchandising? Lol, No. You think thats the only way a club like Essendon can monetise womens footy?

The implication that Essendon is lying, or incompetent. Given its hard to see a reason to lie, if you don't think its going to make money, just don't comment, that must mean they are incompetent, no?

So, do you think they are lying, or do you think they are incompetent? Why?

Can you give a reason other than, it doesn't fit with your internal model of womens football?

As a ps, I have followed womens football closely, and I always suspected that some clubs were making a profit from it. This is after the AFL has covered some of the costs. I don't think they would be making a profit if that wasn't the case, but it does mean that at the moment, if the AFL pulled the subsidies, clubs wouldn't incur large losses. As another aside, my local footy comp started a womens league 2 years ago, thats making money as well.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Merchandising? Lol, No. You think thats the only way a club like Essendon can monetise womens footy?

The implication that Essendon is lying, or incompetent. Given its hard to see a reason to lie, if you don't think its going to make money, just don't comment, that must mean they are incompetent, no?

So, do you think they are lying, or do you think they are incompetent? Why?

Can you give a reason other than, it doesn't fit with your internal model of womens football?

As a ps, I have followed womens football closely, and I always suspected that some clubs were making a profit from it. This is after the AFL has covered some of the costs. I don't think they would be making a profit if that wasn't the case, but it does mean that at the moment, if the AFL pulled the subsidies, clubs wouldn't incur large losses. As another aside, my local footy comp started a womens league 2 years ago, thats making money as well.

Incompetent will do. What's the profit margin on free tickets? How are Essendon monetizing a team they don't have? Actually, scratch that, I'm sure you could sell just as much merchandise without an AFLW team. Their pitch was obviously viewed favourably by the AFL given they didn't win themselves a license, so what does that tell you about their proposal? Maybe I've got it wrong and AFLW is a tax write-off.

Is your local women's footy league professional? Or do they pay their rates and fees like everyone else?

All the rofling, lawling and guffawing is great, but will any of you address the core points here that the women's competition is being saddled with bupkiss of the expense of a professional league and benefiting from the shared marketing and sponsorship of the AFL, and they're still not going to make any money? Yet reading this thread, apparently the AFL is taking advantage of women's football somehow...

Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Women's empowerment is a MASSIVE zeitgeist right now. Women's footy has corporate sponsorship absolutely flooding in from every angle.

You blokes that think ten bucks for entry fees or $50 for a jumper are going to be the difference in a profitability study have got your heads in a completely different stratosphere to the numbers the bigwigs are looking at.

Why do you think the clubs are desperate to get involved? You think they WANT a parasitic entity hanging off the side of their organisation, costing them time, money and resources, with no benefit coming back...? Seriously, ask yourself why basically every club has been jostling to get involved. What's their incentive?

Money.

Women's footy brings mega corporate sponsorship. It. Makes. Money. (Especially because it currently costs three fifths of SFA to run a team since the players get paid squat).

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Women's empowerment is a MASSIVE zeitgeist right now.

Would certainly agree with that.

Women's footy has corporate sponsorship absolutely flooding in from every angle.

You blokes that think ten bucks for entry fees or $50 for a jumper are going to be the difference in a profitability study have got your heads in a completely different stratosphere to the numbers the bigwigs are looking at.

Why do you think the clubs are desperate to get involved? You think they WANT a parasitic entity hanging off the side of their organisation, costing them time, money and resources, with no benefit coming back...? Seriously, ask yourself why basically every club has been jostling to get involved. What's their incentive?

Money.

Women's footy brings mega corporate sponsorship. It. Makes. Money. (Especially because it currently costs three fifths of SFA to run a team since the players get paid squat).

You're on the money here to a point, but it's not womens' footy itself that is bringing in the sponsorship, it is the package deal with the AFL. No one would be pouring money into womens' football if it was just womens' football. From a sponsorship point of view, I can see the package deals with sponsors where the womens' competition is essentially an extended advertising campaign that'll sell shoes and happy meals for another 6-8 weeks of the year. Whatever gets them on TV.

Same story again though, the only way a competition is run for SFA is if the upkeep, administration, logistics, equipment, etc etc are covered elsewhere... ie the mens' competition.

Another thing that'll be interesting to watch is how long the interest lasts. Will crowds taper off once the novelty dies off? As you say, clubs and sponsors are in it for purely financial reasons, so they're banking on building up that following.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Melbourne's VFLW team (the Casey Demons) will be on the radio today. They're taking on Geelong at Casey Fields. Broadcast starts 12pm, first bounce at 1pm.

Via RSN Carnival (if you have digital radio) or stream it via rsn.net.au/digital-radio (then click Carnival).

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Congrats to daisy and all but... does anyone find it all a bit weird? I mean that's our captain and best player just casually dropping the news that they have elected to sit out the entire season. A season I thought could have been THE one for our women's team.. oh well

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Congrats to daisy and all but... does anyone find it all a bit weird? I mean that's our captain and best player just casually dropping the news that they have elected to sit out the entire season. A season I thought could have been THE one for our women's team.. oh well

At the end of the day it's no different to being pregnant for any other job. Just means different management and time out in this case. It happens.

From the AFL Website
IN: Tyla Hanks (pick 6, Gippsland Power/Carlton VFLW VIC), Madeline Brancatisano (15, Northern Knights/Carlton VFLW VIC), Jordann Hickey (31, NT Thunder NT), Shelley Heath (44, Dandenong Stingrays/Southern Saints VIC), passed pick 52

Melbourne had a smaller draft haul for the second consecutive year, but picked up some elite young talent with its early picks.

Tyla Hanks will be a long-term player for the Demons, the competitive midfielder has a good burst of speed away from stoppages and loves to win clearances, but is expected to line up forward to begin her AFLW career.

Madeline Brancatisano is a pacey inside midfielder whose strength is her clearance work. Both Hanks and Brancatisano captained their respective TAC Cup sides.

Tall forward Jordann Hickey will make the big move from Alice Springs, having had a strong VFLW season in an NT Thunder packed with AFLW players.

One of the strong young crop coming out of the Dandenong Stingrays and Southern Saints, Shelley Heath is a small capable of playing up forward or on the wing and a fierce tackler.

A free agent is on the horizon for the Dees, having passed on their final pick.

Would have liked to have picked up Beccy Webster. Having seen her play at the Benalla Saints she'll be a very handy player for Geelong

Bump. Practice match v North today, we lead at HT but North smacked us in Q3.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Bump. Practice match v North today, we lead at HT but North smacked us in Q3.
22 point loss in the end ... a 5 goal to 2 behind 3rd obviously the difference ... it would be very Melbourne to finish 3rd in the first two seasons when it was just a Top 2 comp, and then fall in a hole when they bring in a Top 4.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we don't make the granny this year then stinear must be sacked.

How we didn't at least make it in the last 2 seasons with the list we had, is beyond me.

Back