Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly the potential to be the biggest club, if they aren't already, still not sure why the new stadium wasn't set at 80k with potential to grow to 100k instead of 60k with expandability to 70k?
You and me both. It's not like Perth's population is diminshing. Complete lack of foresight on this one.

And as posted already, Fremantle FC pushed for the smaller capacity. Obviously don't back themselves to grow much over the next half a century or so.

You and me both. It's not like Perth's population is diminshing. Complete lack of foresight on this one.

And as posted already, Fremantle FC pushed for the smaller capacity. Obviously don't back themselves to grow much over the next half a century or so.
Freo pushing for the smaller capacity sums up their club

Freo pushing for the smaller capacity sums up their club

Rubbish, they were 2nd in, the Eagles had a head start, already won a premiership.

Sure you're not still sooking over having your pants pulled down in a hometown final.
In Ross the boss I have faith.

Half full stadiums make no sense.

The West Coast’s whole existence is about playing interstate clubs. Richmond’s is to firstly beat Carlton and then any other of the big 4 in no particular order.. my preference would be Essendon next and then Collingwood. Nice to beat North Melbourne though. Interstate games are purely for the 4 points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So basically you're saying a lot of Richmond fans show up to a couple of games a year and West Coast fans show up every game?

And you're trying to show that Richmond are the biggest club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically you're saying a lot of Richmond fans show up to a couple of games a year and West Coast fans show up every game?

And you're trying to show that Richmond are the biggest club?

Once a fortnight.

You can go to 12 games next year and I can go to 12 games with out having to watch an interstate side.

You’re part timers there buddy boy.

Last edited:
If West Coast spent a decade out of finals like Richmond did they would probably go bankrupt their precious supporters wouldn't be able to cope

Lol. Bankrupt? Eagles could literally not earn a cent for a decade and still have money in the bank.

You seem to be completely clueless about West Australian footy. WA footy is just as rich as Vic footy and our passions run just as deep. If you really think WA fans would just stop turning up at the footy because our team is losing then your really just being an ignorant fool. The year we won the spoon, fans still couldn't get tickets to games.

Lol. Bankrupt? Eagles could literally not earn a cent for a decade and still have money in the bank.

You seem to be completely clueless about West Australian footy. WA footy is just as rich as Vic footy and our passions run just as deep. If you really think WA fans would just stop turning up at the footy because our team is losing then your really just being an ignorant fool. The year we won the spoon, fans still couldn't get tickets to games.
its not just as rich. You lot follow two corporate made teams that are 20-30 years old in a two corporate team town, mass marketed for consumers who happen to like their team and turn up.

We follow 10 teams which are upto over 120 years old, steeped in deep tradition, with generations of hatred and rivalry. The very same things you all conciously chose to abandoned to jump on the new and shiny.

They are very different. If there was a two team corporate town in Melbourne it would never be as passionately followed as our 10 clubs.

its not just as rich. You lot follow two corporate made teams that are 20-30 years old in a two corporate team town, mass marketed for consumers who happen to like their team and turn up.

We follow 10 teams which are upto over 120 years old, steeped in deep tradition, with generations of hatred and rivalry. The very same things you all conciously chose to abandoned to jump on the new and shiny.

They are very different. If there was a two team corporate town in Melbourne it would never be as passionately followed as our 10 clubs.

Geelong is not in Melbourne. Of the nine, I really see that several are ripe for relocation or amalgamation in the medium to longer term.

Geelong is not in Melbourne. Of the nine, I really see that several are ripe for relocation or amalgamation in the medium to longer term.
'Ripe' for relocation in the medium to long term isnt really 'ripe' in any sense, is a contradiction of words, but thats besides the point. The Perth market and the Melbourne market are very different in the reality of today.

Such a case of projecting

Richmond fans have proven to be massive bandwagoners as shown by their membership numbers over the years.

We finished last and there was sfa difference from wen we came first.

Another thing about the Eagles, is they have a LOT of fair weather/part time fans.
If they ever hit a prolonged run of mediocrity, you watch the attendances and support plummet.

lol, they have a member's waiting list that is years long, my understanding is that they also have a waiting list for sponsors to come on board.

I know this isn't directly for the Eagles but I'd assume that a lot of the purchasers would be Eagles fans. They sold 1,500 stadium memberships at $6,000 per year, they sold out in 2 hours and there is now a huge waiting list for one. They paid the first 5 years in advance.

How many fans in Vic would stump up $30,000 in advance for a stadium membership?

If events such as the Olympics, Commonwealth Games or any other major world sporting event is held there, stadium members are not entitled to anything for them.

The stadium expects to hold around 40 events per year there so that works out to about $150 per event for the membership holders. They automatically get WCE and Freo memberships as part of their yearly membership fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back