Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone ever notice how much Avatar looks like Dustin Martin?

a8sv2drcithudsjmy7wz.jpg

Even when he's not the Avatar he's got his hair cut..

avatar-sam-worthington-arrested.jpg

Dustin Martin ready to roar for Richmond as he bonds with a tiger

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin struggled with motivation last year but says he is “ready to attack” 2019 after learning a lot about himself.

Martin felt “weird” last year after a blockbuster 2017, which included winning the premiership and the Brownlow Medal.

“You live and you learn,” Martin said, as he revealed his new campaign for Bonds.

75734323a78058d7fb4aa175194d3c49

Richmond champion Dustin Martin and the tiger in his Bonds campaign. Picture: Bonds/supplied

7870262fef9ac24096ff493fc0fb3b74

Dustin Martin and Pi the tiger behind the scenes for the Bonds campaign. Picture: Facebook

“You spend your whole life trying to achieve all your dreams and I was fortunate enough to win the premiership and have some individual success.

“2018 was a weird feeling (for me). Early in the year. I was like, ‘I don’t know what is next’.”

Martin said he had realised what was truly important in life.

“You think you can win all these things and it is going to make you happy, but the reality is the things that make you happy are your friends and your family and all those kind of things.

“Don’t get me wrong, it is cool to win those things, but it does not have a lot of meaning. “Relationships with my friends and family is what you realise are the most important.

“I am always a pretty motivated person, but subconsciously you might kind of go through the motions a little bit.”

ac63554c9c6eb049b781ea972b1f5f76

Dustin Martin handballs during the AFL preliminary final match last year against Collingwood. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Martin made the comments as he revealed his new — and most dangerous — campaign for Bonds in which he faces off, wearing only jungle print undies, with a fully grown Tiger.
“Not many people can say they stood next to a tiger in their undies,” he said.
“I was lucky enough to get out of there unscathed.”

The Tigers champion spent much of the AFL off-season travelling, starting with a Las Vegas adventure with former Collingwood star Dane Swan, followed by a trip with mates to South America.

46b846f3b8b678c9992182fe9cbe2ec3

Dustin Martin training with the Bali Geckos football club. Picture: Facebook/Bali Geckos

b862e1d8605d92fd5e6bdae0db430d58

Dustin Martin on his Christmas break in Bali. Picture: Instagram/@dustinlmartin

“I spent some time in Colombia, then New Zealand with Dad, and I’ve just been to Bali over Christmas. I trained with a local side the Bali Geckos.
The 27-year-old said he was keen to do his bit for the Tigers in 2019 and felt fighting fit.

“Team success is number one for me and I just want to do my bit for the side and play consistent footy at a high level for the season and help my teammates around me,’’ he said.

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin struggled with motivation last year but says he is “ready to attack” 2019 after learning a lot about himself.

Martin felt “weird” last year after a blockbuster 2017, which included winning the premiership and the Brownlow Medal.

“You live and you learn,” Martin said, as he revealed his new campaign for Bonds.

Richmond champion Dustin Martin and the tiger in his Bonds campaign. Picture: Bonds/supplied

Dustin Martin and Pi the tiger behind the scenes for the Bonds campaign. Picture: Facebook

“You spend your whole life trying to achieve all your dreams and I was fortunate enough to win the premiership and have some individual success.

“2018 was a weird feeling (for me). Early in the year. I was like, ‘I don’t know what is next’.”

Martin said he had realised what was truly important in life.

“You think you can win all these things and it is going to make you happy, but the reality is the things that make you happy are your friends and your family and all those kind of things.

“Don’t get me wrong, it is cool to win those things, but it does not have a lot of meaning. “Relationships with my friends and family is what you realise are the most important.

“I am always a pretty motivated person, but subconsciously you might kind of go through the motions a little bit.”

Dustin Martin handballs during the AFL preliminary final match last year against Collingwood. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Martin made the comments as he revealed his new — and most dangerous — campaign for Bonds in which he faces off, wearing only jungle print undies, with a fully grown Tiger.
“Not many people can say they stood next to a tiger in their undies,” he said.
“I was lucky enough to get out of there unscathed.”

The Tigers champion spent much of the AFL off-season travelling, starting with a Las Vegas adventure with former Collingwood star Dane Swan, followed by a trip with mates to South America.

Dustin Martin training with the Bali Geckos football club. Picture: Facebook/Bali Geckos

Dustin Martin on his Christmas break in Bali. Picture: Instagram/@dustinlmartin

“I spent some time in Colombia, then New Zealand with Dad, and I’ve just been to Bali over Christmas. I trained with a local side the Bali Geckos.
The 27-year-old said he was keen to do his bit for the Tigers in 2019 and felt fighting fit.

“Team success is number one for me and I just want to do my bit for the side and play consistent footy at a high level for the season and help my teammates around me,’’ he said.

Think we are going to see a new dusty this year not in terms of playing ability but maturity and leadership

Imagine being Bali Gecko player and Dusty rocks up to train with you.

Good luck to the poor bloke that copped him in match simulation drills!

What I loved was seeing the caption attached to the photo of Dusty and Christian Petracca

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twenty-seven years of age sounds a lot older than 26, although it is only one year.
In time, Dustin can pass on his expertise and experience to a new generation.
The greatness of our club will be marked by not having to rely too heavily on Dustin, that he is one of several greats.
I remember seeing Dustin at the first pre-season match, we were both sitting in the stands at Optus Oval, it was versus the Collingwood Camiras, he had a quiet intensity.

Is it just me or does other feel the same way about Dusty's durability and his frame

I personally believe that he could play until he is 35/36 which would be awesome having him for another 8/9 years and play 350 games
Reckon the team and team mates will go a long way in bringing his best out for a further 9 years.

Twenty-seven years of age sounds a lot older than 26, although it is only one year.
In time, Dustin can pass on his expertise and experience to a new generation.
The greatness of our club will be marked by not having to rely too heavily on Dustin, that he is one of several greats.
I remember seeing Dustin at the first pre-season match, we were both sitting in the stands at Optus Oval, it was versus the Collingwood Camiras, he had a quiet intensity.

As someone who is turning 27 in the next few months I can vouch for that haha

“I spent some time in Colombia,

just hope he didn't pay 'homage' to Pablo Escobar while he was there...

He’s in fit form but other teams are learning how to stop him and tag him better. If he can’t tweak that then he’ll still be our best but not sure he will outplay them to win the Brownlow

He’s in fit form but other teams are learning how to stop him and tag him better. If he can’t tweak that then he’ll still be our best but not sure he will outplay them to win the Brownlow
The good thing about this is that they have to dedicate their resources into stopping Dusty... leaving nothing to stop Cotch from dominating a la vs #lolninf last year

The good thing about this is that they have to dedicate their resources into stopping Dusty... leaving nothing to stop Cotch from dominating a la vs #lolninf last year

Then deep forward will be an even bigger worry this year.
Lynch leads one way...Jack to the other flank...
Dusty stands in the square with who?? The midfielder (tagger) or 3rd tall defender??

Then deep forward will be an even bigger worry this year.
Lynch leads one way...Jack to the other flank...
Dusty stands in the square with who?? The midfielder (tagger) or 3rd tall defender??
Might as well be no one, because neither of them will stop him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back