Channel 9 Australian Open Television Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty harsh when it comes to the coverage but I'm willing to give Nine a chance to rectify any problems or issues they've had this year for the following years, so I'm not going to be harsh this year.

Easy to forget how unbearable it was with Bruce, Hamish and Basil on 7.

Agree with others that Courier is preferable to McEnroe.

It has been about what I expected so far but it was always going to take time. I'd hope next year the non tennis people (like Madden) will feel more comfortable hosting.

It is a no win job picking the games to show and when to swap. I know they stream games but I think three Channels works best for the first four days of the tournament. One showing each of the main three courts with an option to cut to an outside court.

Last edited:

Not digging the commentary so far. Lack of chemistry between everyone... Groth likes to talk way too much and his voice doesn't mesh well with Courier. Please get Courier to do on court interviews as well, he is by far the best option. IMO the best commentary team I've heard in the last few years was Hewitt, Courier and Woodbridge - Woodbridge was a good 'host commentator' but also obviously has the tennis knowledge to mesh with Courier and Hewitt.

I'm pretty harsh when it comes to the coverage but I'm willing to give Nine a chance to rectify any problems or issues they've had this year for the following years, so I'm not going to be harsh this year.

Easy to forget how unbearable it was with Bruce, Hamish and Basil on 7.

Agree with others that Courier is preferable to McEnroe.

enjoyed maccas coverage of the kyriogos match. didn't tip toe around s**t.

anything is better than hamish and basil

What's with the front view camera angles at the net? When they play a great point, instead of getting a replay, you get this. You don't even see the ball, nor the opposing player. It's ******* annoying.

The desire for 9 to be different under the guise of innovation when it is nothing more than distracting to the viewer

enjoyed maccas coverage of the kyriogos match. didn't tip toe around s**t.

anything is better than hamish and basil

Except the fact that John McEnroe is the last person in tennis to ever criticize another player's behaviour.

Kyrgios is the Australian "John McEnroe" with the Grand Slams to show for it.

Having McEnroe criticise any player on behaviour is akin to if Serena Williams criticised another player for bagging an umpire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have seen a number of raw stats but is anyone able to summerise the ratings so far for Nine. Good, bad, average?

all channels on nine are showing barty - sharapova thats it!? no coverage for dimitrov match?

straight garbage by channel 9

all channels on nine are showing barty - sharapova thats it!? no coverage for dimitrov match?

straight garbage by channel 9

You mean on the app/9NOW? This happened to me the other night when I wanted to watch a doubles match, when you clicked on the match it just showed the RLA match :mad:

They must have some bizarre contractual obligations we are not aware of, there is no other reason why they would:

1. Dump the second station so soon
2. Show a boring match when there is an epic on another court.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back