Prediction Which of these players will step up and play regularly in 2019

2 votes- Which two players listed here will step up and play most games in 2019.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Houli nank broad graham rioli Deledio Mcintosh yarran Bolton conca Hampson Griffith Drummond Riewoldt have missed big chunks of the past 3 seasons and Martin’s unfortunate injury in the game against Collingwood the Brave . I don’t think we are any luckier than anyone else . That’s what SEN and the essendrug media mafia want you to believe .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
when it comes to injuries we have been kissed on the pecker there is no argument.

Martin has missed 1 game in three yrs
Riewoldt 2
Cotchin 4
Nankervis 1 in his two seasons with us
Rance 2 suspension i think
Astbury 5
Grimes 7 six in 2016
Caddy 5 in his two seasons includes suspension.
Prestia would be the only real important player who has missed a lot of footy . he missed 3 last yr and 11 this yr.

Hampson a spud, Griffiths a spud, Conca ordinary, Deledio we have not had for two seasons. Yarran another soft spud,
Houili/Broad we have an abundance of sml/med defenders rioli we have an abundance of sml fwds

Unfortunately come the PF...
We had Broad coming back from a broken cheekbone...
Butts out with a crook ankle...
Rioli returning with a sore foot/reduced game time/fitness...
Graham playing after his shoulder was dislocated...
Astbury had the squirts and was still playing..
Georgey had some issues...
Yeah those fairies were kissing furiously...
EDIT...Dusty was playing lame...

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be shocked to see Callum Coleman Jones getting a game or two this year if nank gets rested can see him leapfrogging Soldo this year as our preferred ruck backup

As much as I want Soldo to make it. If CCJ is what they reckon then we should give him a game of 2 as 2nd ruck to test out his ability at the AFL level.

Soldo's upper end capability is a solid AFL ruck, but nothing special. CCJ hs so much more talent, and was a great pick. Try to fast track him.

when it comes to injuries we have been kissed on the pecker there is no argument.

Martin has missed 1 game in three yrs
Riewoldt 2
Cotchin 4
Nankervis 1 in his two seasons with us
Rance 2 suspension i think
Astbury 5
Grimes 7 six in 2016
Caddy 5 in his two seasons includes suspension.
Prestia would be the only real important player who has missed a lot of footy . he missed 3 last yr and 11 this yr.

Hampson a spud, Griffiths a spud, Conca ordinary, Deledio we have not had for two seasons. Yarran another soft spud,
Houili/Broad we have an abundance of sml/med defenders rioli we have an abundance of sml fwds

Thanks for the update .
The original statement was about injuries in past 3 seasons. This would include Deledio and Yarran , significant players with significant injuries on any club list . Disagree on Conca , thought he was always a solid contributor and Griffiths at the time was intergral to the game plan ( albeit more in hope he would play his usual one good game in every 8 !!).
But thanks again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately come the PF...
We had Broad coming back from a broken cheekbone...
Butts out with a crook ankle...
Rioli returning with a sore foot/reduced game time/fitness...
Graham playing after his shoulder was dislocated...
Astbury had the squirts and was still playing..
Georgey had some issues...
Yeah those fairies were kissing furiously...

You forgot Dusty's Injury in the prelim

Garth
Ross and RCD both too good not to be playing games this season once fit
Hopefully Balta
Only 3 different players between the end of 2017 and 2018. Out Ellis, Butler Townsend, Ins were Conca, Higgins. Conca’s form dropped heaps as the year progressed. I’m happy he’s gone. We won’t see Townsend back but I think they like Ellis and he will play some senior games this year. Grigg and Houli are the big question marks. They are older and we have players we need to develop in their positions. If Graham misses Round 1, it would be a great chance to play Kmac in his role. Rest Grigg and get a game into any new player that has earned it. Maybe same with Houli. It’s been also looking like no Lynch Round 1. Go small again with just Butler or a game into Moore.

I want a 100 point win in round 1

Get ahead of the pack with percentage and remain there, You need to take your easy kills

I agree with you in theory, however Carlton are never easy kills in Round 1.

They are always looking to start fresh and show their fans something and typically play fairly well against us.

Won't be as easy as we hope / think.

I agree with you in theory, however Carlton are never easy kills in Round 1.

They are always looking to start fresh and show their fans something and typically play fairly well against us.

Won't be as easy as we hope / think.

It's sort of like a final for them. They know it's just about the top of their season. After about 5 rounds they are like prize fighters trying to hang on for a points loss.

But we should be fairly motivated to start well. And given our earlier start we can rest players a bit more than others over the first few rounds. So full strength team going full bore. Don't care if there is some rust. But effort is needed.

People are too bullish about Balta and Markov,players like Baker, Garthwaite, Weller and Jake Aarts are probably ahead.We wouldn't have recruited Weller and Aarts if we didn't plan to play them imo.Balta still doesn't understand the game properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 is one of the easier games of the first 6 weeks. So treat it like an opportunity to blood some players. And bring the Griggs and Houli Graham and Lynch in over the month.Depending on results.

I agree with this.

I want to see the team selected from a pool of 27 or 28 all year. Blood more young 'uns against the spud teams while resting anyone with a niggle, Houli, Grigg and to some extent, Nank. None of those latter 3 can't play 25 great games in a row, IMO. Amazing that we have gotten the past two seasons out of Nank, and I don't want to see yet another ruck lost forever to injury.

On the other side of the equation, we have some players in the VFL who we know go okay at AFL, and a crop of young 'uns that could be better than average. Garth, Moore, Soldo, Baker, Menadue, Markov and Bolton have both shown they can do it, albeit inconsistently. More games isn't going to improve all of them, but we need to find out which are keepers and which aren't. Only Menadue is even approaching the 50 game mark at 33.

And that list of young 'uns doesn't even include Naish, Balta and CCJ, who all show better than average AFL traits.

If we want sustained success, we need to get games into the young 'uns while we have a premiership framework around them.

I agree with this.

I want to see the team selected from a pool of 27 or 28 all year. Blood more young 'uns against the spud teams while resting anyone with a niggle, Houli, Grigg and to some extent, Nank. None of those latter 3 can't play 25 great games in a row, IMO. Amazing that we have gotten the past two seasons out of Nank, and I don't want to see yet another ruck lost forever to injury.

On the other side of the equation, we have some players in the VFL who we know go okay at AFL, and a crop of young 'uns that could be better than average. Garth, Moore, Soldo, Baker, Menadue, Markov and Bolton have both shown they can do it, albeit inconsistently. More games isn't going to improve all of them, but we need to find out which are keepers and which aren't. Only Menadue is even approaching the 50 game mark at 33.

And that list of young 'uns doesn't even include Naish, Balta and CCJ, who all show better than average AFL traits.

If we want sustained success, we need to get games into the young 'uns while we have a premiership framework around them.
Spot on again. the gap in games played from the starting 22 to the seconds side is probably the biggest in the league

Example is say ruck nankervis 59 games but the closest replacement Soldo has just 8 games

This is repeated with tall fwds and tall defenders and inside mids.
There is just three players ? depending on the 22 with more than 50 games and just another two with any sort of substantial amount of games.

Imo we may have numbers but in a big way we still lack depth in key areas despite the numbers.

Last edited:
I don't think Menadue is up to it, he has too much Aaron Fiora about him.

Yeah, of the VFL players, Menadue is probably the one we have seen enough of to make a judgement. I want him to step. I'm cheering for him to step up. Not holding my breath though.

markov and i think mav weller is a big chance to break in
The good thing is that we still have great depth.Markov needs to commit and dedicate himself to AFL.I wouldn't be going to training in shades and silly hats until I'd played 50 games.Watch out for the Cinderella story in Jake Aarts ,he didn't expect to be drafted but could fit in as a small tackling machine.

There are 5 or 6 spots in the 22 that fringe players are competing for. So all players on our list should be thinking about a senior game this year. Townsend Broad and Graham showed there could be a flag on offer too.
A tall and short defender, 2 wings, inside mid, tall fwd, and ruck are spots where a depth player might slot in

Looks like only Balta and Markov the only candidates for round one.Garthwaite will play when fit imo.

Back