2018/19 Lower & Non-League Thread: Now featuring Sunderland AFC

The 13th placed Carlisle came up against the 3rd placed Colchester at Brunton Park and creamed them 4-0, once again frustrating all Cumbrian fans. We have the makings of a pretty good side and should be battling for a promotion spot, but are so inconsistent that we will more than likely finish the season mid table.

The 13th placed Carlisle came up against the 3rd placed Colchester at Brunton Park and creamed them 4-0, once again frustrating all Cumbrian fans. We have the makings of a pretty good side and should be battling for a promotion spot, but are so inconsistent that we will more than likely finish the season mid table.

Have been tracking you guys every time i do my scans of the league tables/scores. Would be verrrry frustrating I'd imagine. Still only 4 points from a playoff spot though, could be worse!

Frustrating isn’t a word I would use.:D
This is a team that earlier in the season went five games without scoring a goal at home, were the first team to lose to Macclesfield, in round 12 IIRC, yet have one of the better away records in the league, including holding league favourites Lincoln City to a draw.
I don’t understand their form line at all and when I read the local match reports and analysis I get the feeling that no one in Carlisle understands it either.
The joys of supporting a lower league team, you never know what’s going to happen next.:)

Carlisle defeated Oldham 6-0 at Brunton Park. It’s the first time since October 2005 we have kicked more than five goals.

After going five home games without a goal earlier in the season we have now scored ten in our last two games. Typical Carlisle, unpredictable.:)

I wonder if Tranmere can nab a play-off spot and somehow get into League 1, they were not even in League 2 last season.
Tranmere are currently a point outside the playoff spots and four points from the automatic spots. Carlisle sit one point behind Tranmere.
L2 is pretty close with at least 14 teams who would think they still have a shot of reaching the playoffs.

Tranmere are currently a point outside the playoff spots and four points from the automatic spots. Carlisle sit one point behind Tranmere.
L2 is pretty close with at least 14 teams who would think they still have a shot of reaching the playoffs.
Didn't Liverpool loan Shamal George to Carlisle last season? So pretty much he's been re-loaned to a side that's 1 position higher haha.

Apparently he really struggled with the 1 or 2 matches he was given and has been riding the bench for the most part. Doesn't look like he's good enough.

Didn't Liverpool loan Shamal George to Carlisle last season? So pretty much he's been re-loaned to a side that's 1 position higher haha.

Apparently he really struggled with the 1 or 2 matches he was given and has been riding the bench for the most part. Doesn't look like he's good enough.
Yes they did, and I think in last years thread I said he is one of the worst goal keepers I’ve seen. Glad he is no longer at Carlisle, hopefully he may improve our chances of making the playoffs (at least) by sabotaging another teams.:)

Yes they did, and I think in last years thread I said he is one of the worst goal keepers I’ve seen. Glad he is no longer at Carlisle, hopefully he may improve our chances of making the playoffs (at least) by sabotaging another teams.:)
He's actually played 1 pre-season game for Liverpool. Klopp brought him on as a striker against Huddersfield 2 years ago.

He's actually played 1 pre-season game for Liverpool. Klopp brought him on as a striker against Huddersfield 2 years ago.
I remember one game last year we defeated Crewe 5-0 yet their goal keeper looked like the more competent, George was fumbling every shot that came his way, he almost knocked two crosses into own net and was punching air on every corner. If Crewe had even a little bit of luck they may have won that game. He is truly terrible, if he is at your club, pray he doesn’t get a game.

I remember one game last year we defeated Crewe 5-0 yet their goal keeper looked like the more competent, George was fumbling every shot that came his way, he almost knocked two crosses into own net and was punching air on every corner. If Crewe had even a little bit of luck they may have won that game. He is truly terrible, if he is at your club, pray he doesn’t get a game.
If he does get re-called he's probably our 3rd best U23s (aka reserves) keeper behind Kelleher and Grabara.

I wonder if Tranmere can nab a play-off spot and somehow get into League 1, they were not even in League 2 last season.
On a similar note, Luton Town are 1 point off top and are also looking to do a double promotion to the Championship. Them, Pompey and the Mackems are providing a pretty tight contest to the top 2, keep in mind Sunderland have two games in hand.

Five straight for Carlisle (2-0 at Morecombe) sees us move into the playoff spots and 3pts from an automatic promotion spot. Very good signs in Cumbria, hopefully we can improve our list in January and make a real push for promotion.

Last edited:
The Cumbrians are on the charge, they defeated Mansfield 3-2 to win their sixth straight game and move up to 5th, only 2pts behind MKD in 2nd.

The day before the Mansfield game, Sheridan resigned as Carlisle manager apparently to takeover the Managerial role at National League strugglers Chesterfield.
This doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me as Carlisle are the form team in the L2, although there have been some reports that the players, including our Captain (Grainger), have been clashing with him over his managerial style and things got a little heated after the 6-0 win over Oldham.

Just when things are looking up at Brunton Park...:(

Last edited:
It's a shame Barnet are such a shambles in the National League but then can rock up and beat Sheffield United in the FA Cup. We're only like 8 points above a second straight relegation :(

Carlisle have appointed Steven Pressley as their new manager, at this stage, only until the end of the season. He began his Managerial career in Falkirk and also Managed at Coventry and Fleetwood.

Carlisle have appointed Steven Pressley as their new manager, at this stage, only until the end of the season. He began his Managerial career in Falkirk and also Managed at Coventry and Fleetwood.

Still sitting pretty in 6th spot though aren't you? Hopefully he can slide you up to auto-promotion or at least hold the fort for playoffs

Still sitting pretty in 6th spot though aren't you? Hopefully he can slide you up to auto-promotion or at least hold the fort for playoffs
We aren't looking too bad, but a couple of the players (Nadesan and Sowerby) that helped us to this position were on loan and have now returned their parent club, and the first game after they left we lose 3-0 at Northampton. My hope is that it was an anomaly after a strong run of results over the festive period. If it isn't then Pressley has a big job ahead of him.

Carlisle Captain was named League Two player of the month for December. One day someone is going to have to create a compilation of his goals from outside the 18 yard box, because he is a freak for the long goal, he hit a couple of classics during the Christmas period.

During the festive season Carlisle played six games and won all six, scoring 20 goals and conceding only five.
During the week the Cumbrians released this little compilation of the 20 goals.
And I think there are some pretty good ones in amongst the 20.

It was Steven Pressley’s First game in charge and the result was a 2-0 win for the Cumbrians that sees us jump up to 4th only a game outside of a automatic promotion spot.

Here’s hoping Pressley has Solskjaer style beginning to his Carlisle Managerial career.

Last edited:
1548020978754.png

We have 4 games in hand but copped an absolute hiding on the weekend. Going a man down 3 minutes in was just brutal :( Now sitting in 16th, 18 points behind a playoff spot. Our hopes of an instant return to the EFL are all but dashed

View attachment 608147

We have 4 games in hand but copped an absolute hiding on the weekend. Going a man down 3 minutes in was just brutal :( Now sitting in 16th, 18 points behind a playoff spot. Our hopes of an instant return to the EFL are all but dashed
Barnet seem to be a bit of a yo-yo club, I think this is their third period in the Conference/National League since the start of the millenium.
They won the Conference title the year Carlisle were also down in the fifth tier, and absolutely pumped us 3-1 at Brunton Park, should have been 6-1 but the Bees hit the crossbar twice and a couple of miraculous saves kept the score respectable.

There were some interesting teams playing in the Conference in 2004/05 besides the Cumbrians and the Bees, Accrington Stanley and Burton Albion who are now in League One and Forest Green Rovers, Crawley Town, Morecombe and Exeter City in League Two. I'm pretty sure Burton actually made to the Championship a season or two ago. Anything is possible.

Lewes looking very good in our first season back in the Premier division of the Isthmian Football League.

Seems harsh there’s only one automatic promotion place...

View attachment 609923

Some ripping names in the lower leagues though. Dorking Wanderers, Brightlingsea Regent and Folkestone Invicta. Love it

Back