Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Was pretty piss weak compared to how blokes used to rough house each other. Michael Voss used to actually try and kill Brett back in the day
Really didn't know that.
Actually I recall a sledge by Michael voss to brett my dad had sex with your mum last night as one of the funniest sledges of all time.
Topkent wants players to belt each other - someone call the media! ;)

But yeah, a healthy amount of family competition going on there, should be a bit of fun to watch for the next few years ... until Andrew comes back to Melbourne to play with his brother that is :devil:
damn man no belting Andrew he went through that this year poor soul.
Also imagine if we lured gus to play for freo:D, he supported them in childhood and he could follow his mate jesse.:devil:
how do you like them apples.
I feel like a keyboard warrior after that.
This has become a ramble but really liked angus on afl exchange this year.

Really didn't know that.
Actually I recall a sledge by Michael voss to brett my dad had sex with your mum last night as one of the funniest sledges of all time.

damn man no belting Andrew he went through that this year poor soul.
Also imagine if we lured gus to play for freo:D, he supported them in childhood and he could follow his mate jesse.:devil:
how do you like them apples.
I feel like a keyboard warrior after that.
This has become a ramble but really liked angus on afl exchange this year.
Well thats true ... and as we all know, almost all players go on to play for the teams they supported as kids ... just ask our club legends, Chris Judd and Scott Pendlebury ...

Well thats true ... and as we all know, almost all players go on to play for the teams they supported as kids ... just ask our club legends, Chris Judd and Scott Pendlebury ...
love the sarcasm
But being associated with judd in anyway is just the worst. I think your club logo of demons earned itself tenfold with that name.

Also I actually reckon angus will win a brownlow at some stage.

All this talk of 'Gus and 'Drew, I guess we figure Hamish will never see the light of day.

Don't forget Andrew Gaff and our star forward Buddy Franklin

All this talk of 'Gus and 'Drew, I guess we figure Hamish will never see the light of day.

Don't forget Andrew Gaff and our star forward Buddy Franklin
Buddy was a Dees man? Jesus ... I've never heard that!

As for Hamish ... he's probably not really at the club to be breaking into the 22 as a late pick, if he doesn't make it at West Coast tho, perhaps we could bring him back to Casey, Corey Wagner style.

Buddy was a Dees man? Jesus ... I've never heard that!

As for Hamish ... he's probably not really at the club to be breaking into the 22 as a late pick, if he doesn't make it at West Coast tho, perhaps we could bring him back to Casey, Corey Wagner style.
I remember hearing Buddy was, and so was Nic Nat from memory

Bloody hell ... oh well, on the bright side, because we were so bad for so long, we should be right at the start of a sweet spot where literally no one drafted will have been a fan.
The only reason i remember was when we were getting pumped by West Coast in Roosy's second game and Bruce going on and listing all the players who where dees fans and saying 'it's a shame you can't recruit off the beanie'

Topkent wants players to belt each other - someone call the media! ;)

But yeah, a healthy amount of family competition going on there, should be a bit of fun to watch for the next few years ... until Andrew comes back to Melbourne to play with his brother that is :devil:
I for one won't be satisfied until the Brayshaws fight to the death in a state-mandated battle royale. * it, get the military brother and James in there too.

Last edited:
In hindsight I was really happy with the year Gus had, yes I am still critical of his ball use at times but he is such a good all round player.

Tough - tick
Kicks on both feet - tick
Footy IQ - tick
Tackling - tick
Attitude - tick

Spreads better than any of our other premium mids (Oliver/Viney/Harmes) too, which helped our balance in there a lot.

Needs to be way less casual on the opposite if he's going to go with it when he doesn't need to. It's a great weapon in congestion but he's overused the left.

Bloody oath he does. Too often he is in space and will still kick it on the left just cause he can when he should straighten on the right. His left isn't as good as he thinks it is

Needs to be way less casual on the opposite if he's going to go with it when he doesn't need to. It's a great weapon in congestion but he's overused the left.
Bloody oath he does. Too often he is in space and will still kick it on the left just cause he can when he should straighten on the right. His left isn't as good as he thinks it is
Yeah agree with the both of you. Not saying he doesn't have a left and he can kick on it. But gee he likes to go for show off points if you ask me, going on his opposite when the right is an easier kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - but on the flip side by testing his left in pressure moments maybe it improves.

Wouldn't see too many players that are better off their opposite foot after 60 games. Just needs more experience. His clearance game improved out of sight in the last few months even, was on a bit of a rapid curve there.

Alternatively he stagnates this year, and breaks his navicular.

Correct - 28.16 I think.
There ya go, Brayshaw coming 3rd was a * up of the system not a reflection of his relative place amongst the games midfielders.

I'd be over the moon if he can replicate the form of the back half of the year for a full season let alone kick 37 goals

There ya go, Brayshaw coming 3rd was a **** up of the system not a reflection of his relative place amongst the games midfielders.

I'd be over the moon if he can replicate the form of the back half of the year for a full season let alone kick 37 goals
I wouldn't say it was a * up of the system, so much as it's just the system we have, which is unique to most sports, in that it's decided by impartial officials from the thick of the action, which would almost certainly provide a difference of opinion than watching from a far with an extensive stats sheet at your disposal.

Not saying it's right or wrong, and I'm certainly not arguing Brayshaw is the 3rd best midfielder in the comp - nor would I argue that Sidebottom is the 2nd best for that matter - but both are just the results the system can provide.

I wouldn't say it was a **** up of the system, so much as it's just the system we have, which is unique to most sports, in that it's decided by impartial officials from the thick of the action, which would almost certainly provide a difference of opinion than watching from a far with an extensive stats sheet at your disposal.

Not saying it's right or wrong, and I'm certainly not arguing Brayshaw is the 3rd best midfielder in the comp - nor would I argue that Sidebottom is the 2nd best for that matter - but both are just the results the system can provide.

Didn't feature in the coaches voted highly which is a much more important award without the glitz. It's a clear * up of the system when someone like Carey/Franklin/AblettSnr etc never won one.

the umpires absolutely love the mids who can win it at the coalface, but also find the space to win it on the outside by being a bit less accountable than their team mates. Mitchell, Martin and Sidebottom all do this, and Gus is our man for the job.

P.S. don't forget this when thinking about a having a Brownlow bet in future :thumbsu:

Didn't feature in the coaches voted highly which is a much more important award without the glitz. It's a clear **** up of the system when someone like Carey/Franklin/AblettSnr etc never won one.
We're pretty much arguing the same thing here, but I'm saying it's part and parcel with an award that is voted on in such unique circumstances. You've mentioned players over a 30 year span there, I'd think that proves my point ;)

the umpires absolutely love the mids who can win it at the coalface, but also find the space to win it on the outside by being a bit less accountable than their team mates. Mitchell, Martin and Sidebottom all do this, and Gus is our man for the job.

P.S. don't forget this when thinking about a having a Brownlow bet in future :thumbsu:
It's just a s**t job ... managing 36 players playing a 360deg game, on a massive playing surface, adjudicating rules of a heavily interpretational nature for about 2 hours while running 12-15kms, and after that you need to decide who the 3 best players were. But if months later, those players don't match up with the match stats which you weren't allowed to see, look out.

We're pretty much arguing the same thing here, but I'm saying it's part and parcel with an award that is voted on in such unique circumstances. You've mentioned players over a 30 year span there, I'd think that proves my point ;)

It's just a s**t job ... managing 36 players playing a 360deg game, on a massive playing surface, adjudicating rules of a heavily interpretational nature for about 2 hours while running 12-15kms, and after that you need to decide who the 3 best players were. But if months later, those players don't match up with the match stats which you weren't allowed to see, look out.

If they took it off the umps and gave it to a rotating panel of say ex players an respected media types would anyone notice after a year? My bet is no way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back