Fox Cricket commentary and coverage 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

If any of us performed this unprofessionally or with this level of narcissism on our jobs, we would be rightly fired.

Love this from Gideon Haigh on Warnie: https://outline.com/ExpYt2

"Fox Sports, meanwhile, showcases Warne, as great a name as the game has known, also these days reaching more than three million Twitter followers and nearly a million Instagram followers at the touch of a button. Their opinions, moreover, are not simply views but news — indeed, quoting excerpts of commentary has stealthily become a feature of the game’s print coverage, as though we’re no longer covering cricket so much as reporting television.

Like so much, this is driven in part by social media, where Warne seems to pick an Australian team on Twitter every other day based on who he has just seen on television, with places reserved for Marcus Stoinis, who has not scored a Sheffield Shield hundred since November 2015, and D’Arcy Short, who has made two Sheffield Shield fifties, interspersed with lamentations that “unfortunately Sheffield Shield cricket is not what it once was” and “hopefully CA change their attitude and make Shield cricket important again!” — look out for the MSCIA trucker cap at some stage.

It’s entertaining, of course — Warne is never otherwise. What it isn’t, really, is a coherent critique. Last week, for example, Warne inflicted whiplash on Twitter by demanding that “these ridiculous selections must stop in all forms of Australian cricket” then quickly agreeing with his old mucker Mark Waugh that it was an “easy excuse to blame the selectors when individuals and the team is not performing”.''

The best was in the space of literally 30 seconds he went from essentially “The Hurricanes won’t be beaten by anybody except maybe the Strikers” to “On their day any team can beat anyone in Twenty 20 cricket”.

This incessant promotion of Stoinis for the Test team is wearing a bit thin. He was a bit like a rambling drunk with that s**t about whether the bat was grounded last night in the ODI as well. He can be actually quite insightful at time but he talks a hell of a lot of s**t as well. I guess we should be thankful that we've been spared from hearing about his favourite kind of pizza this year (dirty rotten pineapple).
Producer should be telling him to shut up. Probably scared to, because he's a legend.

Warnie would be better if the commentators weren't told to fill every second with talk. With that, they end up talking for the sake of it and invariably some rubbish leaves the mouths of the commentators.

The annoying thing is that he's mostly perfectly fine when he has been on overseas stations where I guess they have the courage to actually tell him not to lay on all the bullshit.
I’ve noticed on more than one occasion Gower getting annoyed and essentially telling Warne to shut up on air when he’s labouriously repeating one point.

Quite amusing but only Ponting or Lawry would do that over here unfortunately. Maybe Glenn Maxwell.

The best was in the space of literally 30 seconds he went from essentially “The Hurricanes won’t be beaten by anybody except maybe the Strikers” to “On their day any team can beat anyone in Twenty 20 cricket”.

I think someone got in his ear and told him "we want people to watch the rest of the tournament dickhead, don't tell them it's all over!"

This incessant promotion of Stoinis for the Test team is wearing a bit thin. He was a bit like a rambling drunk with that s**t about whether the bat was grounded last night in the ODI as well. He can be actually quite insightful at time but he talks a hell of a lot of s**t as well. I guess we should be thankful that we've been spared from hearing about his favourite kind of pizza this year (dirty rotten pineapple).
What the hell is it about Warney and Stoinis? Are they engaged yet FFS??

Warnie would be better if the commentators weren't told to fill every second with talk. With that, they end up talking for the sake of it and invariably some rubbish leaves the mouths of the commentators.
He tends to but in on his fellow commentators as well. Like a little kid who has a cool story to tell and just can't be patient

Never a truer word spoken. I've never understood why you need 3 commentators when 2 is more than plenty. And why they think we need to hear never-ending chatter all the time I'll never understand. It seems the one thing the world has no tolerance for these days is silence.

Never a truer word spoken. I've never understood why you need 3 commentators when 2 is more than plenty. And why they think we need to hear never-ending chatter all the time I'll never understand. It seems the one thing the world has no tolerance for these days is silence.
Cricket broadcasting in this country seems to have gone the way of the kiwis in recent years. In that they are terrified of being discriminatory so have a female in place with two men more often than not, sometimes two women one guy in bbl. I'd rather just see two competent and erudite commentators get on with the job regardless of gender. For mine that's punter and Isa guha. Or Mick Vaughan and Lisa . Or mark Waugh and Huss. Warnie and Howie his little kiss ar*e can do meaningless bbl games where two clowns can liven up a dull match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cricket broadcasting in this country seems to have gone the way of the kiwis in recent years. In that they are terrified of being discriminatory so have a female in place with two men more often than not, sometimes two women one guy in bbl. I'd rather just see two competent and erudite commentators get on with the job regardless of gender. For mine that's punter and Isa guha. Or Mick Vaughan and Lisa . Or mark Waugh and Huss. Warnie and Howie his little kiss ar*e can do meaningless bbl games where two clowns can liven up a dull match.

It was inevitable. If you watch ESPN sports, every panel in American sports is headed up by a woman, flanked by former players (men). I've never really understood why because they add little and rely upon the former players to keep the conversation going. Eventually we copy everything the USA does.

It was inevitable. If you watch ESPN sports, every panel in American sports is headed up by a woman, flanked by former players (men). I've never really understood why because they add little and rely upon the former players to keep the conversation going. Eventually we copy everything the USA does.
Yea it's a terrible affirmative action type of reverse discrimination. Where the best commentators of all backgrounds colours genders etc hardly get a look in. #fansdeservebetter

The annoying thing is that he's mostly perfectly fine when he has been on overseas stations where I guess they have the courage to actually tell him not to lay on all the bullshit.
Yea I thought so too. He's very very good when he puts his mind to it. Always ahead of the game. Total opposite on our local stations

I was watching a bit of the cricket tragic and Megan Barnard seemed either to take the table tennis somewhat seriously or she's actually pretty good at table tennis.

I thought one of the blessings of this change of rights holders was getting rid of Ian Healy. Haven't had to listen to him all summer, but now he's doing a marathon stint in the Fox box for the first session today. Please tell me this is just a Gabba only type deal? Horrible stuff.

I thought one of the blessings of this change of rights holders was getting rid of Ian Healy. Haven't had to listen to him all summer, but now he's doing a marathon stint in the Fox box for the first session today. Please tell me this is just a Gabba only type deal? Horrible stuff.

Thought the exact same thing.

We’d finally exorcised the demon after years of suffering.

I’m hoping he’s just filling in for Waugh and Warne.

He wasn’t involved in the Indian series which is probably telling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back