Prediction Where will we finish this year?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We already have.

The 2016 haul was an absolute ripper, and we didn't have a first round pick that year.

National Draft
Pick 26 - Brandan Parfitt
Pick 40 - Tom Stewart
Pick 43 - Esava Ratugolea
Pick 60 - Quinton Narkle
Pick 69 - Ryan Abbott

Rookie Draft
Pick 16 - Jack Henry
Pick 33 - Zach Guthrie
Pick 48 - Jamaine Jones
Pick 53 - Sam Simpson
Wow hadn't realized that. It is quite a list. Nothing wrong with the recruitment now for the development.

We have no forwards. We have resorted to players who should be defenders in the forward line.
I agree that this is the most pressing list issue. I'm hopeful that someone from this year's crop will prove a goalkicking forward - Kreuger, Tarca, Jarvis. But none of those would be very high chances of becoming the player we need.

I agree that this is the most pressing list issue. I'm hopeful that someone from this year's crop will prove a goalkicking forward - Kreuger, Tarca, Jarvis. But none of those would be very high chances of becoming the player we need.

I'm not sure of his likelihood of 'making it'.

But I actually think Krueger is just the sort of forward we need, provided Toma and Esava stay fit.

If he can get up and down the ground providing a mobile marking option to link up play (a la the Craas incarnation of Tom Lynch), I think it would improve our forward line 'unpredictability' immensely. Which could really bring crumbers and smaller forwards (Dahl, Narkle, JJ etc.) into the play.

I agree it's our weakest area on the ground. But the Tiges and Dogs forward groups of recent premiership fame were hardly stellar. And the Pies nearly won it last year with an injury-ravaged bunch.

In my opinion, if we get the other elements right, we could still go a long way in '19 with the forward line options currently on our list.

But I actually think Krueger is just the sort of forward we need, provided Toma and Esava stay fit.

If he can get up and down the ground providing a mobile marking option to link up play (a la the Craas incarnation of Tom Lynch), I think it would improve our forward line 'unpredictability' immensely. Which could really bring crumbers and smaller forwards (Dahl, Narkle, JJ etc.) into the play.

I agree it's our weakest area on the ground. But the Tiges and Dogs forward groups of recent premiership fame were hardly stellar. And the Pies nearly won it last year with an injury-ravaged bunch.

In my opinion, if we get the other elements right, we could still go a long way in '19 with the forward line options currently on our list.

Jack Gunston was a Hawk recruiting master stroke imo.
A fast agile tall marking target out on a flank can be a match winner and very difficult to contain as he’s proven to be.
I thought Kreuger was a selection chance in 2017 for that very purpose, hopefully he can force his way in and give us a multi dimensional attack.
Probably a bit much to ask but he may surprise early.

Jack Gunston was a Hawk recruiting master stroke imo.
A fast agile tall marking target out on a flank can be a match winner and very difficult to contain as he’s proven to be.
I thought Kreuger was a selection chance in 2017 for that very purpose, hopefully he can force his way in and give us a multi dimensional attack.
Probably a bit much to ask but he may surprise early.

You are so right about Gunston. Has added such an extra dimension to the Hawks' potency over so many years. And now showing his versatility in different roles as well.

For pick 24 and a couple of minimal later donwgrades, he was a huge bargain for the Hawkers.

Still, as we now know so well, who would realistically want to stay and play with the Craas?

;)

Last edited:
Hawkins could also finish with more games as a forward for the Cats than all them combined.
True, but it's what we have to work with.
Hawk is a one-off who would have been taken in the top 10.
It will be while before we have access to such a player in the draft again.
I wouldn't write SavRat off yet. Let's see how he progresses this year.

My love for the #Landshark Kreuger runs deep. His ability to transition rapidly between competing for aerial and ground balls to me makes him that perfect versatile forward with height.

I'm just hesitant to go too far at this stage, he's still at the beginning of his journey.

2016 offseason we also signed Mark O'Connor as a Cat B rookie.

Our 2017 rookie list was those guys + Parsons, a very impressive group of rookie listed players to have together at the same time. Plenty of those guys have their critics, but considering the expectations normally placed on rookies I think it was a superb group.
Given our first pick that year was midway through the second round, that is an incredible list.

Long-term injury notwithstanding, I'd have at least six of those players (Parf, Stewart, Rata, Narkle, Henry and Zuth) already pegged as 100-gamers for the GFC.

And, as Landgraft pointed out, MOC was a Cat-B acquisition in that draft as well.

Thanks guys, I knew I was missing someone.

However, I deliberately left out Timm House, as he is the only player from our 2016 draft haul who hasn't made the cut.

Thanks guys, I knew I was missing someone.

However, I deliberately left out Timm House, as he is the only player from our 2016 draft haul who hasn't made the cut.

Didn't think of House, so thanks for that.

Still a formidable strike rate for mine, even with him included.

Forgot to mention - the Tim Kelly factor is the truly great unknown for 2019.

They are all professionals, but it could seriously derail the season in a major way if it's not handled properly.

Which kind of reminds me how important Tom Harley was when he was captain.
I can't recall any similar situation that Harley or Ling would have had to encounter re Tim Kelly.
But spot on, Harley was and is a beauty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will realistically finish somewhere between 1st and 18th :p

In all seriousness, I actually have absolutely no idea to be honest. A part of me hopes we can finish top 2 / top 4 and that we can turn around our poor finals showings and give it a good shake. This could of course be wishful thinking. Our ruck depth is as good as it has been for years and we have addressed some forward issues and recruited pressure players in Dahl and Rohan, perfect for the modern game providing Rohan can stay healthy which has proved to be a challenge for him.

Our backline is very solid and dependable. What we really need to address is our game plan and tactics on the MCG, this needs to be an absolute priority imo. Ablett needs to spend a lot more time up forward, he's still a ball magnet but his impact as a midfielder is on the wane which is to be expected. Danger appears to be back to full fitness but he needs to slow it down, lower his eyes and hit up leading forward targets more. Too often he bombs it in there blindly and this is quite predictable from an opposition perspective. Just need more composure from the superstar.

But the real key for me is the continued development of Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty, Cockatoo etc - our success this year depends on their progression and their output as we know what we'll get from our A-graders. It certainly is an interesting year, one that is hard to predict, but is very exciting all the same.

The Ablett up forward calls surprise me. Maybe people are relying on the heights of his namesake but reality suggests it won't work given he can't really mark overhead these days given his shoulder issues.

Ablett is better served as an outside player who can create and distribute. I'd be playing him on a wing.

The Ablett up forward calls surprise me. Maybe people are relying on the heights of his namesake but reality suggests it won't work given he can't really mark overhead these days given his shoulder issues.

Ablett is better served as an outside player who can create and distribute. I'd be playing him on a wing.

Fair point re his shoulders but the thought of him on a wing with his lack of defensive capabilities scares me. He could get burned big time going the other way.

Fair point re his shoulders but the thought of him on a wing with his lack of defensive capabilities scares me. He could get burned big time going the other way.
Dustin Martin hasn't got a defensive bone in his body either.

Dustin Martin hasn't got a defensive bone in his body either.

That's true but I don't think Ablett has the pace anymore so he'd struggle on the wing. I'm not sure he'd hurt teams enough in an attacking sense given his lack of speed and his lack of defensive game could see us get exposed when the opposition team has it. It's a bit of a tough scenario with Ablett, he can still contribute well at times but his weaknesses and limitations will get exposed wherever he is played. I guess that's to be expected given his age..

That's true but I don't think Ablett has the pace anymore so he'd struggle on the wing. I'm not sure he'd hurt teams enough in an attacking sense given his lack of speed and his lack of defensive game could see us get exposed when the opposition team has it. It's a bit of a tough scenario with Ablett, he can still contribute well at times but his weaknesses and limitations will get exposed wherever he is played. I guess that's to be expected given his age..
You're underselling him a bit. I think people expect to still see the 2007-2014 Ablett and expect miracles. He's still a fantastic player and polled 14 brownlow votes last year. He still has a lot to offer as a very, very good mid. Just not as good as the performances that have made him the best midfielder the game has seen.

Lower your expectations on his brilliant years and you'll still see a fantastic contributor.

You're underselling him a bit. I think people expect to still see the 2007-2014 Ablett and expect miracles. He's still a fantastic player and polled 14 brownlow votes last year. He still has a lot to offer as a very, very good mid. Just not as good as the performances that have made him the best midfielder the game has seen.

Lower your expectations on his brilliant years and you'll still see a fantastic contributor.

I certainly have lowered my expectations. I'm not in that category of people you're referring to who still expect performances from his 07-14 years. I've never expected him to be the Ablett of old but I do expect a reasonable level of defensive pressure. The modern game demands that. That's why Menzel was let go.

I do agree that he can still be a good contributor but it's up to the coaches to maximise his strengths and minimise his weaknesses. I'm not sure that was done as good as it could of been last year.

I'm with the anything can happen group. So I'm saying 1st to 12th. Why 12th? I think people have to remember how hard you have to work to finish lower than 12th these days :)

I thought Ablett's contribution last year was outstanding considering his prior few years of injury issues.
I had concerns like many to begin with but he quickly proved to me he's still a ball magnet and great distributor of the pill.
Any candidate for his midfield role has pretty big shoes to fill and l doubt if any of the current group of kids can.
They're a long way off his numbers going on last years stats, he still rates very high across the competition.

Back