NFL 2018 NFC Championship game - Los Angeles Rams at New Orleans

NFC CG Options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how Saints fans and neutrals are kicking up a stink about the missed PI, which I admit was bad, and that it definitely cost them the game. Firstly, who is not to say they ran it the next play and fumbled it? And lastly, what about the missed facemask the drive before that would have put the Rams on the goal line, likely TD and a four point lead they may not have let up?

There is a meme going around that I cannot find atm, that shows plenty of what the Saints got away with. But everyone is only focusing on the one play because of how bad it was and like it was the Saints who were the only team screwed.

The Saints had plenty of opportunity to win the game after taking the lead back. Letting the Rams move down the field with less than two minutes remaining to send it into overtime, and turning it over when they had the advantage of first possession in OT. Rams played well for most parts of the game and deserved a SB trip just as much.

I love how Saints fans and neutrals are kicking up a stink about the missed PI, which I admit was bad, and that it definitely cost them the game. Firstly, who is not to say they ran it the next play and fumbled it? And lastly, what about the missed facemask the drive before that would have put the Rams on the goal line, likely TD and a four point lead they may not have let up?

There is a meme going around that I cannot find atm, that shows plenty of what the Saints got away with. But everyone is only focusing on the one play because of how bad it was and like it was the Saints who were the only team screwed.

The Saints had plenty of opportunity to win the game after taking the lead back. Letting the Rams move down the field with less than two minutes remaining to send it into overtime, and turning it over when they had the advantage of first possession in OT. Rams played well for most parts of the game and deserved a SB trip just as much.
That face mask at the goal line would have taken them from the 2 yard line to the one yard line, where they were still unable to score from. I agree that they had their chances to win regardless but comparing those two calls is apples and oranges.

One interesting story line / narrative for this week and the season at large is the idea that defence wins championships, which I feel is generally overstated but remains an interesting debate point.

This season has been interesting given the start saw O dominating D (particularly passing games) week after week, then towards back end D started to take control, before what I feel was a shift of power back to the O side (particularly running games) in time for the playoffs.

In the NFC
Top 5 offensive teams by DVOA

1. LAR - Super Bowl
  2. NO - lose CG
  3. GB - missed playoffs
  4. Atlanta - missed playoffs
  5. Seattle - lose WC round

Top 5 defensive teams by DVOA

1. Chicago - lose WC round
  2. Minnesota - missed playoffs
  3. Dallas - lose Div round
  4. NO - lose CG
  5. Seattle - lose WC round

More balanced in the NFC than the AFC which showed a clear trend toward O being more important.

Have done same for AFC in other thread.

That face mask at the goal line would have taken them from the 2 yard line to the one yard line, where they were still unable to score from. I agree that they had their chances to win regardless but comparing those two calls is apples and oranges.

Would have gotten extra shots at it, so you never know. Would have backed CJ to run three times at get one in from that distance. Plus Saints had plenty of trips to the redzone and failed to convert them into TD's, so can't say they would have been more sure to score than the Ramss would have if they got a penalty, so its fair to say you can compare them in terms of impact, the only difference being how bad one call was missed given its obvious nature. Both calls being picked up would have likely put the game away for either team. So its balanced out in my opinion.

The Rams conceded more penalties than the Saints all game, and had a few missed in their favor, so calling it rigged against the Saints is a stretch. Besides the Saints have gotten away with a few questionable calls in playoffs over the years, their fans should be the last to cry about it. Eventually you end up on the opposite end of the stick one day.

Last edited:
Is there any footage that shows whether the ball was tipped or not?

Wasn't tipped at all. Was no hands near it for miles on release, and it still had a perfect spiral the whole way through, where most tipped balls cause it to wobble. Either Coleman made it up, or the ref did indeed say it was tipped, if so then I seriously have doubts about his ability to officiate ever again.

This loss is on the Saints' coaching staff. They basically stuffed up after Ted Ginn's catch at the 2 minute warning.

They should have run the ball 3 times and kicked a FG to leave the Rams 1 minute to drive about 40 yards with no time outs left.

Instead the Rams had 1.45 to do the same with 1 TO - big difference in such a hostile environment.

Even with the game going to OT, it still took the first OT INT of Drew Brees' career to give the Rams a chance.

That's just the usual bullshit excuse people who justify competition rigging push to deny what's blatantly obvious.

The entire game the refs let s**t go - when players were competing for the ball.

I could just as easily put together a tape of holds the Rams got away with all game. The one on Ginn was a typical example.

The call that kept the Rams in the contest was the most blatant DPI you'll ever see. Even the player admitted he intentionally interfered so he wouldn't give up a TD. He was beaten. In fact had he caught it, it should have been a PF for taking out a defenseless receiver!

The officiating crew made a judgment call on a play that required none. Why would they do that other than allowing factors outside of the play to determine the call?

This loss is on the Saints' coaching staff. They basically stuffed up after Ted Ginn's catch at the 2 minute warning.

They should have run the ball 3 times and kicked a FG to leave the Rams 1 minute to drive about 40 yards with no time outs left.

Instead the Rams had 1.45 to do the same with 1 TO - big difference in such a hostile environment.

Even with the game going to OT, it still took the first OT INT of Drew Brees' career to give the Rams a chance.
I agree with that.

Payton has been terrible calling plays these playoffs.

But having said that, they still did enough to win & would have if not for one of the most questionable calls you're ever likely to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clear and obvious PI.
Shocking call.
If that was a Pats DB instead of a Rams DB, people would be spewing vomit for years over it.....well, it's true that for decades now they HAVE been getting so many dodgy calls their way.....but, yeah, this would've been lynching material if that were the Pats getting that.

Annotation 2019-01-21 225334.jpg

The non call will be the story, but the Saints had the Rams on the ropes, but tried to be too clever.
Congrats to the Rams for making the big dance, but the Saints let it get away.

Agreed, no doubt it was missed but did that really cost NO the game?

One play isn't the whole game; they could have stopped the Rams FG drive; they could have won in OT etc etc.

The picture doing the rounds. The referees were terrible all game for both teams. Every call affects the whole game, not just plays inside the final two minutes. If I was playing football and missed a goal on the siren and lost, people would say I cost us the game, what about the few goals my team mates missed in the first quarter? Everything adds up as a collective and affects the whole game, yet people seem obsessed only with the things that happen late in games.

Some of the earlier ones could have cost a first down, or been the difference between a field goal and a touchdown. Like I said, the missed face mask in the drive before the missed PI would have put the Rams on the 1, with four new downs, whilst there is no guarantees in football, you'd think they'd be able to have punch one of those in. Suddenly they have a four point lead and the Saints are chasing a TD with less than 5 mins to go, and given they haven't looked like scoring a TD for most of the game, one would have backed the Rams to make the most of that winning position. Both plays missed penalties that cost good field position, both missed penalties cost a potential TD, both missed penalties cost the teams a potential match winning position. Evens out. People are just more angry about one because of how obvious and bad it was, and that the missed facemask is okay because it was probably hard for the referees to see. In the end, Saints have had their fair share of controversial calls in games over time, eventually one will bite you on the ass. Rams played better for most parts of the game and deserved to be in the Superbowl, despite many feeling they don't deserve to be there, they are just ignorant to the other missed calls.

DxaO5MfWwAcLgba.jpg

Is there any footage that shows whether the ball was tipped or not?
It was nowhere near anyone that could have tipped it...
Wasn't tipped at all. Was no hands near it for miles on release, and it still had a perfect spiral the whole way through, where most tipped balls cause it to wobble. Either Coleman made it up, or the ref did indeed say it was tipped, if so then I seriously have doubts about his ability to officiate ever again.

Sorry JD but you let them back in the game. 2 TDs up at home, the result should never have been dictated by 1 referee decision. They were simply the better team after the 1st quarter.

Agreed, no doubt it was missed but did that really cost NO the game?

One play isn't the whole game; they could have stopped the Rams FG drive; they could have won in OT etc etc.

Yep.
Get the penalty and Brees kneels to sub 10 seconds, score a FG to go 23-20 up.
LA don't get a chance.
It 100% cost us the game.
And the above pics of some "maybe there" calls, they went uncalled all game for both sides, the non-call that decided the game wasn't a maybe there or maybe not, even the NFL officials themselves said there were 100% 2 penalties on that play and it cost us the game.

Yep.
Get the penalty and Brees kneels to sub 10 seconds, score a FG to go 23-20 up.
LA don't get a chance.
It 100% cost us the game.
And the above pics of some "maybe there" calls, they went uncalled all game for both sides, the non-call that decided the game wasn't a maybe there or maybe not, even the NFL officials themselves said there were 100% 2 penalties on that play and it cost us the game.

It may have cost NO the chance to win 23-20 in regulation but that's not the same thing as costing them the game. They had chances before and after that.

Yep, I dont think the call made a difference to the game

NoFlag.gif
That is THE worst non call I’ve ever seen.
-PI
-Helmet to helmet
-Defenceless reciever

Take your pick refs

1548091478053.gif 1548091478053.gif

It may have cost NO the chance to win 23-20 in regulation but that's not the same thing as costing them the game. They had chances before and after that.

I think the fact that it was a 100% absolute no doubt obvious missed call in what would have been the final three plays of the game is what is hard to take if you’re a fan.

Game was over if that had been called assuming chip kick was good.

It’s like your team is a few points down in GF and in last seconds of the game your full forward gets blatant round neck or push in back in goal square and not paid.

You wouldn’t console yourself with oh well we had our chances earlier.

Back