Mega Thread 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
In the past Conor thrived on the biggest challenge available, like that was the main motivation. Outside of Khabib, ending Ferguson’s streak is clearly the biggest thing at LW. Stylistically he’s a perfect opponent for Conor and a win like that would not only add to the legacy but is also the fastest way to get back contender status.

Cerrone is a popular journeyman with a modest record, it’s going to be a fun fight and make a lot of money but that’s about it. Maybe it’s about selling Proper 12 and cashing in on money fights from here on out?

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
In the past Conor thrived on the biggest challenge available, like that was the main motivation. Outside of Khabib, ending Ferguson’s streak is clearly the biggest thing at LW. Stylistically he’s a perfect opponent for Conor and a win like that would not only add to the legacy but is also the fastest way to get back contender status.

Cerrone is a popular journeyman with a modest record, it’s going to be a fun fight and make a lot of money but that’s about it. Maybe it’s about selling Proper 12 and cashing in on money fights from here on out?
Let's not forget Conon was once the most active fighter in the UFC (probably behind cerrone actually) there's no reaosn he can't knock out cerrone and then go on to fight tony ferguson two months later. That approach will do more to rebuilding his hype which is better for the UFC than just trying to continue to live off Conor's former successes which are relatively distant at this point.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Outside of Khabib, ending Ferguson’s streak is clearly the biggest thing at LW. Stylistically he’s a perfect opponent for Conor and a win like that would not only add to the legacy but is also the fastest way to get back contender status.

How is Ferguson stylistically perfect for anyone? He's an unorthodox and creative striker, a great wrestler and submission grappler. That's without mentioning his chin and cardio which are both top shelf.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
How is Ferguson stylistically perfect for anyone? He's an unorthodox and creative striker, a great wrestler and submission grappler. That's without mentioning his chin and cardio which are both top shelf.

It’s likely to stay standing and Conor is IMO the best striker in the feather/light weight divisions.

A bit chinny on his last couple fights.

Everything else I agree.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
It’s likely to stay standing and Conor is IMO the best striker in the feather/light weight divisions.

Both points there are debatable. However it goes down, it's not an easy fight for either man. Tony has the ability to fight at an absurd pace and if he can avoid Conor's early power he could have an easy night. He does have a habit of getting hit though which could be his undoing.

A bit chinny on his last couple fights.

Everything else I agree.

The Lando fight is the only time I can remember thinking he was in danger. Pettis cracked him with a couple of good shots too but in both fights he was able to recover and break his opponent. Having a good chin doesn't mean you never get hurt or rocked, it's just as much about how you recover after getting hit.

By the same logic you could say Conor's been a bit chinny in his last few fights too. Got dropped by Khabib and finished by a much smaller Mayweather.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

He wants the biggest challenge (Khabib again) but he’s not valid for that opportunity yet.

So this is somewhat of a path to that opportunity.

Tony shouldn’t be fighting anyone unless it’s for the undisputed title.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The more I think about it the more I think there are two fights here

Poirer is the ranking and “deserved” match up (even though it’s a rematch)

Cerrone is the “money fight” that’s justifiable as a “one win short of a title shot”

I can’t think of too many fights Conor has had in his career where he fought a lower ranked opponent (maybe Siver way back when). So I lean into Cerrone (2 v 9 while 1 v champ is being looked at) also because it seems to be what Conor wants (social media etc).

If he gets Poirer the winner likely gets next title shot. If he gets Cerrone then Conor probably get a title shot if Ferguson holds the belt and maybe if Khabib holds the belt. Cerrone probably gets a title eliminator against Poirer or something.

Another loss for Connor would be catastrophic. His whole image is being king s**t. Losing 3 fights in a row would not be good.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The division is in a tricky spot for Poirier and Ferguson (and others), both very worthy of the title shot (Furguson the most worthy).
Khabib on the sidelines sucks. I hope he can fight again very soon (against Furguson), then the top end of this division can get moving again with clearer paths.
If I was Poirier or Ferguson I wouldn't want to risk my shot by fighting and possibly losing to each other or someone else. It would have to be for a massive payday if they did fight before a title shot.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The division is in a tricky spot for Poirier and Ferguson (and others), both very worthy of the title shot (Furguson the most worthy).
Khabib on the sidelines sucks. I hope he can fight again very soon (against Furguson), then the top end of this division can get moving again with clearer paths.
If I was Poirier or Ferguson I wouldn't want to risk my shot by fighting and possibly losing to each other or someone else. It would have to be for a massive payday if they did fight before a title shot.

100%

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

Yep. Ferguson is the path to get back up quickly. Cerrone fight is not not much to be gained but likely entertaining. Ferguson is the fight he needs most to get back on the horse for mine.

Even if he loses his next one he'd still be a massive draw I reckon. He could keep losing and still pull some of the biggest numbers in the ufc.

No doubt he's a draw, but he can't continue the character, surely?

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t reallt understand the calls about Cerrone not really making sense. He’s ranked 9th on MMAfighting.com (ufc ranking weren’t available when I looked) has name value. 2 v 9 isn’t unheard of, especially when 9 is a name fighter. There seems to be this view that guys in the top 4 should only ever fight each other, if Cerrone doesn’t get a higher ranked opponent (or anyone outside the 4) how do they break in.

Khabib and Ferg are on a set path, there is no reason to think Conor gets an immediate rematch given how he lost. Poirer v Conor for the next shot probably makes sense but if that leads to Conor v Khabib 2 is that really the best next title fight (after tony and Khabib)?

If Cowboy v Conor results in a Conor win then he can either get his rematch or fight Tony, he can still fight Poirer. If cowboy wins he’s in the top 5 and probably has Poirer, Iaquinta or becomes an alternate for a title fight (knowing he will step in at a moments notice).

Will he even fight again? Word is he's in big trouble behind the scenes... Big trouble.

While his missus is giving birth he's running around high as a kite and now on potential rape charges.
Dead rumour from 4 days ago. Only a couple of mma YouTube channels mentioned it. If there was any truth to it.....mainstream mma media would be all over it.

Anything regarding McGregor sells

Last edited:
May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Dead rumour from 4 days ago. Only a couple of mma YouTube channels mentioned it. If their was any truth to it.....mainstream mma media would be all over it.

Anything regarding McGregor sells
s**t didnt even hear that, we shall see when everything gets anounced I guess. at the end of the day he will always sell a fight its his name, antics the freakin Irish supporters, as for legacy dont think he was every going to be considered goat in any division, but his legacy will be how he turned the sport on its head and helped them move out of a tough period.

Will he even fight again? Word is he's in big trouble behind the scenes... Big trouble.

While his missus is giving birth he's running around high as a kite and now on potential rape charges.

Apparently
I've followed this quite closely
everything is pointing to it's him
Even the Irish articles are hinting very well that it's him

There's a tiny chance it's crap but gee it doesn't look good at all

Back