NFL 2018 AFC Championship Game - New England at Kansas City

AFC CG Options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Would a defensive score (ie pick 6 or safety) end the game on the 1st drive? I assume yes but is that fair if both teams are defensive powerhouses?

Not arguing for the current rules as such just playing devils advocate
With the right of reply rule, yes a defensive pick 6 would end the game, because the first team has had the opportunity to possess the ball, and they have turned it over, thus the next team's offence is defunct because they have already scored, all they would need to do is kneel it out as they already have the lead. It's an interesting point though, but I think common sense prevails, the right of reply is dictated by scoring, if you turn it over and opposition scores, that's their right of reply.

What happens if the game is outdoors, howling wind favouring one end. Should they have 2x OT periods so each team gets an equal chance with the wind (as in AFL)?
This is just random conditions, completely different to a pre-set written rule. Also, this isn't a golden point scenario, this is an extra time scenario, that is also an option that could be explored. Instead of 1 possession each, just play 2 x 6 minute halves, not my preferred method but could be explored as this is still fair as long as both teams get to receive in one of the halves.

No need to reward teams who can't play defense, already doing that enough in the league

Besides, teams who get the ball first only win 50% of the time

It does reward teams that can't play defence, far more than playing both ways does.

Currently a team can win without defending at all. They couldnt if they played both ways. I.e. a team with a terrible defence has a chance to win that they wouldnt have if they played both ways.

It does reward teams that can't play defence, far more than playing both ways does.

Currently a team can win without defending at all. They couldnt if they played both ways. I.e. a team with a terrible defence has a chance to win that they wouldnt have if they played both ways.
This. Great point.
How some people can criticise a team for losing because if they can't defend one drive they don't deserve to win, yet one defence doesn't even need to defend at all? Doesn't add up to me.

Would a defensive score (ie pick 6 or safety) end the game on the 1st drive? I assume yes but is that fair if both teams are defensive powerhouses?

Not arguing for the current rules as such just playing devils advocate
If my defence scored
Then I had 2nd possession to give d chance to match
Id punt it on 1st down
Drive over
Win

A journo made a good point. In these days when rules favour offence, both teams should have a chance to put their O out there.
It's strange how people only seem to complain about the rules when it involves the Patriots. Had the Chiefs been in the same position, it would be passing of the torch, the evil empire is dead, long live the new NFL.

Everyone (apart from John Harbaugh) knows the rules going into games.

Last edited:
It's strange how people only seem to complain about the rules when it involves the Patriots. Had the Chiefs been in the same position, it would be passing of the torch, the evil empire is dead, long live the new NFL.

Everyone (apart from John Harbaugh) knows the rules going into games.

Makes no difference if it was Pats or Browns. People are complaining about Saints non-decision, explain that one?

Given the original point relates to OT and possessing the ball...

Not sure your point, again it has nothing to do with Pats. Touch of arrogance methinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back