Local Queensland Womens Footy - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2020 AFLW Suns are getting organised with North Queensland with talent programs, matches etc.
This extract from the article sums the Womens game up there overall correctly.
"Female participation in Queensland is thriving … and we're excited to enter the AFLW competition in 2020 at a time when the code is at such a strong level."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-18/aflw-suns-aim-for-more-northern-exposure

Last edited:

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...s/news-story/244d7c2921886e5fe071c87aef4fc28c

An AFL field is being considered for the inside of Albion Park Racecourse in Brisbane. Its genesis is the big increase in female AF, causing shortages of AF ovals

Similar conversions are being considered at Sydney & Melb racecourses, due to the AF GR boom. Also, conversion of redundant golf courses to AF ovals.
The Randwick Racecourse deal has been done and it was very necessary because the Sports Ground (Allianz) next to the SCG is now being redeveloped, and the Swans badly needed another training centre, and that situation in turn was one of the reasons why Swans AFLW team was put on hold. Also grassroots junior footy is booming in the areas around that part of Sydney.
Where abouts were the other Race courses being mooted for footy.

That situation in Brisbane is classic your the no 4 footy code up here politics - Mind your place in the footy hierarchy.
However they cannot ignore the Womens footy numbers you would think over time, lets hope it gets over the line.

The Randwick Racecourse deal has been done and it was very necessary because the Sports Ground (Allianz) next to the SCG is now being redeveloped, and the Swans badly needed another training centre, and that situation in turn was one of the reasons why Swans AFLW team was put on hold. Also grassroots junior footy is booming in the areas around that part of Sydney.
Where abouts were the other Race courses being mooted for footy.

That situation in Brisbane is classic your the no 4 footy code up here politics - Mind your place in the footy hierarchy.
However they cannot ignore the Womens footy numbers you would think over time, lets hope it gets over the line.
Rosehill Racecourse interior in Sydney was also being examined for AF ovals - I posted info. on this earlier this year (NSW Womens Footy tab?)

Also, there have been discussions about using the inside of Caulfield Racecourse, Melb. (when there are no racedays).

Last edited:
Caulfield Racecourse parkland is being fought between AFL/Cricket and Soccer. The council only recently got the land re-opened as a public park for certain hours of the day but they want sportsgrounds there too, I figure it'll be 1 oval and 1 soccer pitch instead of 2 ovals or 3-4 soccer pitches.

Caulfield Racecourse parkland is being fought between AFL/Cricket and Soccer. The council only recently got the land re-opened as a public park for certain hours of the day but they want sportsgrounds there too, I figure it'll be 1 oval and 1 soccer pitch instead of 2 ovals or 3-4 soccer pitches.
Given that, if the Caulfield interior is configured into 2 ovals, it can be used 12 months of the year (unlike soccer), will this favour AF/cricket?
Also, female AF is very strong in the South -will this favour ovals being built?

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20180820215033525

This article provides an inkling into the extraordinary growth of regd. AF female nos. in Qld. -only 2nd to Vic. (recently, they had more regd. female nos.!)

AF has obtained a foothold in many govt. & private schools in Qld. It should be remembered that AF has little historical/cultural relevance for a big majority of Queenslanders -so alove of AF is not "passed-on" automatically by family members to their kids. For the majority, the first AF "awakening/exposure" comes from school phys.ed programs around AF skills.
The question is still not solved, however, as to why so many Qld. phys.ed teachers believed it was a good idea to introduce AF programs to their male & female students? Admittedly, the Gold Coast area has had a fairly large influx of people from Vic., SA & Tas. over the last 40 years.

Last edited:
http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20180820215033525

This article provides an inkling into the exraordinary growth of regd. AF female nos. in Qld. -only 2nd to Vic. (recently, they had more regd. female nos.!)

AF has obtained a foothold in many govt. & private schools in Qld. It should be remembered that AF has little historical/cultural relevance for a big majority of Queenslanders -so alove of AF is not "passed-on" automatically by family members to their kids. For the majority, the first AF "awakening/exposure" comes from school phys.ed programs around AF skills.
The question is still not solved, however, as to why so many Qld. phys.ed teachers believed it was a good idea to introduce AF programs to their male & female students? Admittedly, the Gold Coast area has had a fairly large influx of people from Vic., SA & Tas. over the last 40 years.
I remember in school sessions of Lacrosse, Rugby Union (which I had never seen played in the outer suburbs of Perth), Ultimate, golf, canooing and others, none of which had any real local resonance.

Schools need to find varied sporting content. The support AFL Queensland gives schools, the school comps that have been set up, the state schoolboys and girls programs, national junior titles all mean footy is now a natural component of a schools sporting calendar.

AFLQ have switched it from, 'why provide footy', to ',why not provide footy'.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The support AFL Queensland gives schools, the school comps that have been set up, the state schoolboys and girls programs, national junior titles all mean footy is now a natural component of a schools sporting calendar.
The difficulty with this theory (ie local AF organisation simply providing support to schools) is why didn't NSW also have this school female AF boom? They are both strong RL states. Why were Qld. phys.ed teachers & schools (& their students!) so receptive to introduce female AF?

In fact, go further.
Why didn't WA & SA also have school female comp. booms?
(Actually, I think I know. WAFC, SANFL did not atttempt to promote school female AF...sigh)

Last edited:
The difficulty with this theory (ie local AF organisation simply providing support to schools) is why didn't NSW also have this school female AF boom? They are both strong RL states. Why were Qld. phys.ed teachers & schools (& their students!) so receptive to introduce female AF?

In fact, go further.
Why didn't WA & SA also have a school female comp. booms?
(Actually, I think I know. WAFC, SANFL did not atttempt to promote school female AF...sigh)
I think the difference is AFLQ. I dont think AFL NSW, or the WAFC or SANFL have been as proactive as Qld over the last 5+ years. They may be playing catch up now, but they are a long way behind.

A trivial example, the @AFQschoolfooty twitter feed has 7500 posts. Its constantly active. WA has no equivalent that I can tell. AFLQ did a promotional program for its schools football program several years ago that was huge. They kept a running update of all the schools enrolled, tweeted welcome on board messages to each one. Its hard to even find what schools are involved in WA. They might post a message about the finals and who won, but not much more than that.

In terms of marketing to schools, and also to women, AFLQ is seriously slick and switched on, massively more so than WA, and I assume SA. Maybe its that feeling of being a minority sport, where AFLQ feels it has to really work hard, where its sort of expected to just happen in WA.

There is a reason Qld girls state footy teams have basically reached parity with WA. As Starcevich has been at pains to point out several times this year, they consider that they have the best womens football league outside Vic. They may have the best schools leagues (in terms of organisation, not necessarily footy quality) full stop.

Just did a quick count.

Seems to be 55 teams in the senior female schools comp in WA, and 82 in the Queensland one. Noted that Qld has more schools than WA, but its still impressive. I think Qld has more female teams than male, so its likely to be the reverse in the boys, but I have done enough counting.

Just did a quick count.

Seems to be 55 teams in the senior female schools comp in WA, and 82 in the Queensland one. Noted that Qld has more schools than WA, but its still impressive. I think Qld has more female teams than male [? whoaaa!], so its likely to be the reverse in the boys, but I have done enough counting.
Are you saying Qld. has more female, primary school AF teams than male Qld. primary school AF teams? And/or more female secondary school AF teams than male Qld. secondary school AF teams?
Wow! If accurate, good find! I cannot recall ever reading this. And you have made the "Qld. female AF phenomenon" even more of an enigma!

I do recall reading in 2017 that Byron Bay AF Club (Nth.NSW, plays in Gold Coast comps.) was close to having more female participants (including Auskick) than male.

Excluding old VWFL clubs (eg Melb. Uni Mugars), Fitzroy (both the jnr. & snr Clubs) have the biggest minority of female participants (inc. Auskick) that I am aware of- but it is affiliated with the Australian Catholic University (& its huge & very respected nursing degrees' Faculty -many females at ACU).
Fitzroy's Brunswick St Oval may be obtaining c. $6,5000,000 from the State govt. for an upgrade. The genesis of this (& another example of the benefits of female AF for GR AF) is the "...growing number of women and girls' teams at Fitzroy Football Club". In 2018, their senior women's teams had to stop taking any more registrations after they reached 70.

https://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/latest...t-home-for-fitzroy-s-community-sporting-clubs

I have also wondered whether Qld. female GR AF has benefited by having huge nos. (80,000+, very big in schools) of females playing non-contact touch/tag rugby in Qld. Was this experience, in playing field games with oval balls, an "entree" for female AF?
(But the similar female situation in NSW didn't help female NSW GR AF)

Incidentally, GR AF (for females & males) is only strong in SE Qld., & the Cairns area. Away from these areas, in their well populated regional/rural areas, GR AF is weak.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying Qld. has more female, primary school AF teams than male Qld. primary school AF teams? And/or more female secondary school AF teams than male Qld. secondary school AF teams?
Wow! If accurate, good find! I cannot recall ever reading this. And you have made the "Qld. female AF phenomenon" even more of an enigma!

I do recall reading in 2017 that Byron Bay AF Club (Nth.NSW, plays in Gold Coast comps.) was close to having more female participants (including Auskick) than male.

Excluding old VWFL clubs (eg Melb. Uni Mugars), Fitzroy (both the jnr. & snr Clubs) have the biggest minority of female participants (inc. Auskick) that I am aware of- but it is affiliated with the Australian Catholic University (& its huge & very respected nursing degrees -many females at ACU).
Fitzroy's Brunswick St Oval may be obtaining c. $6,5000,000 from the State govt. for an upgrade. The genesis of this (& another example of the benefits of female AF for GR AF) is the "...growing number of women and girls' teams at Fitzroy Football Club". In 2018, their senior women's teams had to stop taking any more registrations after they reached 70.

https://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/latest...t-home-for-fitzroy-s-community-sporting-clubs

I have also wondered whether Qld. female GR AF has benefited by having huge nos. (80,000+, very big in schools) of females playing non-contact touch/tag rugby in Qld. Was this experience, in playing field games, with oval balls an "entree" for female AF?
(But the similar female situation in NSW didn't help female NSW GR AF)

Incidentally, GR AF (for females & males) is only strong in SE Qld., & the Cairns area. Away from these areas, in their well populated regional/rural areas, GR AF is weak.
Link to the website is https://www.aflq.com.au/aflqsc/

Down the bottom is a link to a PDF of 2018 nominations to date. I just counted down the list. By my count it was 78 senior boys to 82 senior girls. Didnt count the juniors.

Link to the website is https://www.aflq.com.au/aflqsc/

Down the bottom is a link to a PDF of 2018 nominations to date. I just counted down the list. By my count it was 78 senior boys to 82 senior girls. Didnt count the juniors.

Qualifier here is that there are 18 (plus 7 I/C) for the boys teams and 16 (plus 4 I/C) for the girls

Seems like there are a few more male junior teams

All that aside, I would doubt any other state is close to that gender ratio

A good call by AFLQ to restructure the comp into this format. Player and team numbers will support this next year based on a possible 10 more new clubs getting over the line. There are some challenges though. No player movement between QAFLW clubs and other competitions. Many young, capable players will have to make the call as to whether to stay loyal to the club they have grown with and play (say) Div 2 or give themselves a shot to play QAFLW or at least get on a list. The rules set out in the article don't allow for a compromise.

Player and team numbers will support this next year based on a possible 10 more new clubs getting over the line.
Are you suggesting in 2019 there will be about 10 clubs in SE Qld., who did not have an adult female team in 2018, but will in 2019?
Or are you suggesting 10 new additional adult female teams will be added in 2019, from clubs who already had a female team in 2018?
Source of information?

Are you suggesting in 2019 there will be about 10 clubs in SE Qld., who did not have an adult female team in 2018, but will in 2019?
Or are you suggesting 10 new additional adult female teams will be added in 2019, from clubs who already had a female team in 2018?
Source of information?
I need to be more careful with my words. It's looking to be a mix of new teams and new clubs. Source re numbers was Dean Warren with Barry Gibson on stage at the AFLQ Community Football awards night talking female football. I understand somewhere around 20 expressions of interest originally received but about 10 look like they can come to fruition. Examples (this bit is rumour and/or based on Facebook stalking) include Redcliffe as a new side and a second side for Jindalee? The number may include some regional teams as well.

In any case, the numbers continue to grow. I know it is a target of AFLQ to have a state based competition that sits only behind the VFLW in terms of quality. Source same as above. This new structure needs to work well in order to achieve that.

I understand somewhere around 20 expressions of interest originally received but about 10 look like they can come to fruition. In any case, the numbers continue to grow. I know it is a target of AFLQ to have a state based competition that sits only behind the VFLW[!] in terms of quality.
Qld. is, obviously, a state where RL is the dominant male sport.

Would you like to share with us your views on:-
. how & why Qld. has so many female AF players (until 2017, it had more regd. females than Vic.!)?

.why has it performed so much better (in terms of nos.) than NSW female AF participants?

.The NRL in 2018 started to heavily promote GR female contact RL, with great success (particularly in Sydney -Penrith District in 2018 started a comp., has c.1,000 femal club contact RL players!).
A prediction on how much will this RL growth reduce female AF nos in Qld., & reasons?

Last edited:
Qld. is, obviously, a state where RL is the dominant male sport.

Would you like to share with us your views on:-
. how & why Qld. has so many female AF players (until 2017, it had more regd. females than Vic.!)?

.why has it performed so much better (in terms of nos.) than NSW female AF participants?

.The NRL in 2018 started to heavily promote GR female contact RL, with great success (particularly in Sydney -Penrith District in 2018 started a comp., has c.1,000 female contact RL players).
A prediction on how much will this RL growth reduce female AF nos in Qld., & reasons?
Wow. Many questions. I'll try to keep it short.

The RL dominant sport reference is a pretty general statement. The dominant junior/youth sport here may well be soccer. It is in most states. Our code battles with it as the biggest competitor for participants. Similar with females along with the traditional netball female pastime.

Participant numbers can be misleading. I'm no expert on the data so may be wrong. School and Auskick participants may be a part of this data. AFLQ is doing a great job in those spaces and is probably leading the non-AFL states with the programs. We've struggled to translate school players to club players though. Still do to a reasonable extent. That tide is turning. The demarcation lines don't necessarily show in the stats. The team number growth rates (%) look great coming off a low base. Still much work to do here. It is being done largely at club (volunteer) level. AFLQ could probably up the ante here with assistance but are running hard already with the resources they have. More regional collaboration is required.

As a cover all statement the climate up here is much more conducive to winter sport participation. All sports benefit from that. We find we often have females playing AFL and still their original sport given the favourable conditions. I think that helps immensely with numbers.

Some of our Councils also throw a lot of support our way through programs and infrastructure. In the Moreton Bay Council area more than $40M has been spent in the last 6-8 years on facilities. "Build it and they will come" has certainly been the case in our region.

Re the new RL surge, I don't think the RL v AFL competition for players will cross over much. Like men's competitions they have different offerings and will be attractive to different demographics.

I could chat about this for hours but I won't get any work done. Brief thoughts instead!!

Last edited:
Some news items from QLD.

It will be interesting to watch if the women do better in competition than the mens team.

https://www.aflq.com.au/gold-coast-suns-begin-aflw-build/

Check out the roof of the grandstand at Hickey Park. Needs some money spent on it, but the AFLW up there are happy to get access to the ground.

https://www.aflq.com.au/lions-aflw-footprint-increases-with-hickey-park-investment/

That’s not Hickey Park. It has no grandstand and is frankly a very poor choice of venue. It would be lucky to rank in the top five venues in and around Brisbane.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back