AFL TAB Refuse to Pay out $150k pay-out to Maths Wiz Uni Student who out-smarted their system

Remove this Banner Ad

I would suggest that the bet sould be voided (money back) or just pay out the slater-martin combo at $34 or however much it was.

It's the same with bank accounts, if they accidentally put a 100k in your account, it doesn't mean it's yours.

The kid knew what he was doing. Geez we've probably all tried s**t like that at some point.

True but at the end of the day thier machine took the bet they need to pay it... yes he took advantage of a flaw and won, they make that 150k in an hour easily just pay it and avoid the negative press.

I would suggest that the bet sould be voided (money back) or just pay out the slater-martin combo at $34 or however much it was.

It's the same with bank accounts, if they accidentally put a 100k in your account, it doesn't mean it's yours.

The kid knew what he was doing. Geez we've probably all tried s**t like that at some point.

Would take the 5k they offered amd run though

True but at the end of the day thier machine took the bet they need to pay it... yes he took advantage of a flaw and won, they make that 150k in an hour easily just pay it and avoid the negative press.
The TAB doesn’t easily make 150k an hour, and they have strict T&C’s which comply within the laws that state they do not have to honor bets on clear and obvious errors, which this definitely is.

There are hundreds of people each year that threaten/actually do take bookmakers to the commission over stupid complaints like this and none of them win. This one obviously just got picked up on a slow news day at the right time of year.

Time these agencies were told **** your present T&Cs as they stand. You make **** ups, you pay for those mistakes.

Get onto it Governments.
So if instead of $36 down on an obvious mistake he puts down $20K or more as a serious punter might do if they had the odds in their favour massively. You ok with a betting agency going broke over a coding error?

What if it was a restaurant and their point of sale system glitched and didn’t charge you the whole price? When they call you to chase the rest of the money after you’ve paid the bill and left, do you say “* you, get better software?”

So if instead of $36 down on an obvious mistake he puts down $20K or more as a serious punter might do if they had the odds in their favour massively. You ok with a betting agency going broke over a coding error?

* yes I'm ok with that. They shouldn't have some rubbish out to protect themselves from their own incompetency.

**** yes I'm ok with that. They shouldn't have some rubbish out to protect themselves from their own incompetency.
So everytime an organisation or business makes an innocent mistake then they have no recourse despite the fact that customers enter into an agreement via terms and conditions?

So a bank accidentally transfers me $10m I get to keep it because they "shouldn't have some rubbish out to protect themselves from their own incompetency"?

**** yes I'm ok with that. They shouldn't have some rubbish out to protect themselves from their own incompetency.

Come off it. You know when the punters are so vehemently in support of the bookmaker that something has to be pretty extraordinary. I have no problem with the TAB's T's and C's covering their arses for a situation that is so unique.

Come off it. You know when the punters are so vehemently in support of the bookmaker that something has to be pretty extraordinary. I have no problem with the TAB's T's and C's covering their arses for a situation that is so unique.
I haven't worked for a while, but when you are in middle management you realise just how many mistakes businesses make. Just human nature. If businesses had no recourse for every obvious error they made it would be a disaster. Just because TAB is a bookmaker shouldn't mean they aren't subject to the laws that other businesses do.

I bet on GC vs Freo as I couldn't believe the odds. Found out later it was a GC "home game" in Perth. Called up Crown and had the bet reversed. Innocent mistake was rectified so ideally it works both ways.

I once got a Qantas flight that I booked online for $94.90 from ADL to HKG return instead of $949.00 due to a clerical error and Qantas honoured the error fare!

I once got a Qantas flight that I booked online for $94.90 from ADL to HKG return instead of $949.00 due to a clerical error and Qantas honoured the error fare!
You're right. Because of this personal experience in the travel industry Bookmakers should also ignore their industry and corporate t&cs and instead honour all bets.

Take 1 leg off and its under 5k

TAB still paying him overs, he is just a little sook who played the system and lost

These betting agencies have soo many loopholes to cover themselves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't worked for a while, but when you are in middle management you realise just how many mistakes businesses make. Just human nature. If businesses had no recourse for every obvious error they made it would be a disaster. Just because TAB is a bookmaker shouldn't mean they aren't subject to the laws that other businesses do.

I bet on GC vs Freo as I couldn't believe the odds. Found out later it was a GC "home game" in Perth. Called up Crown and had the bet reversed. Innocent mistake was rectified so ideally it works both ways.
Does this also work for horses I thought were faster?

Typical of betting agency promotions, put your money in, win too much you're gone
The Gambling industry should have to mandatorily report annually how many winning bets were declined and how many customers were banned or blocked from winning after they had successfully won. The argument that they have the right to decide who they will and will not allow to bet is flawed unless they can show cause for their decision.

The Gambling industry should have to mandatorily report annually how many winning bets were declined and how many customers were banned or blocked from winning after they had successfully won. The argument that they have the right to decide who they will and will not allow to bet is flawed unless they can show cause for their decision.

No its not - they don't need cause to deny you service as long as it isn't discriminatory.

No its not - they don't need cause to deny you service as long as it isn't discriminatory.

My point is that it should be legislated that they need to show cause, before they can ban someone. I know a few people who have been banned after winning 5 or 10K from Sportsbet. Should not be allowed to occur, and there should be hefty penalties in place, if they do.

My point is that it should be legislated that they need to show cause, before they can ban someone. I know a few people who have been banned after winning 5 or 10K from Sportsbet. Should not be allowed to occur, and there should be hefty penalties in place, if they do.

Why? They are a private business they can serve who they want.

No, they have rules to follow like everyone else. When gambling companies are making money they are happy. As soon as someone starts to win they become selective. Sorry can't have it both ways. You are in the industry, then you take risks like Insurance companies and Banks have to every day.

No, they have rules to follow like everyone else. When gambling companies are making money they are happy. As soon as someone starts to win they become selective. Sorry can't have it both ways.

Yes they can - what rules stop them from denying service to customers they don't want to.

No, they have rules to follow like everyone else. When gambling companies are making money they are happy. As soon as someone starts to win they become selective. Sorry can't have it both ways. You are in the industry, then you take risks like Insurance companies and Banks have to every day.

Laat time I checked insurers can refuse to insure you and banks can refuse to lend you money

Let's end this discussion once and for all.

Do bookmakers have to offer you a service?
No they don't.

Should bookmakers be allowed to have discretion when choosing who to offer a service to?
Well, that's debatable. I wish the answer was no, but unfortunately it's probably "yes".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back