Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont blow your truck yet mate ....

We still have
Noah Balta
Callum Coleman-Jones
Patrick Naish

All looking like genuine players at the lower level and the transition for some older players to be seamless
More talking about the fact that Higgins is just one of those blokes that comes along born to play footy, it’s all he’s ever wanted and he will leave no stone unturned.
The public thinks he’s an imbecile yet he’s smarter than most of the population because he knows what he’s good at and will make the most of every single day in it, find ways to get better, stronger, faster, fitter etc.
You see it once in a Blue moon, amazingly we had another one just like it walk through the doors nearly ten years ago, goes alright too.

More talking about the fact that Higgins is just one of those blokes that comes along born to play footy, it’s all he’s ever wanted and he will leave no stone unturned.
The public thinks he’s an imbecile yet he’s smarter than most of the population because he knows what he’s good at and will make the most of every single day in it, find ways to get better, stronger, faster, fitter etc.
You see it once in a Blue moon, amazingly we had another one just like it walk through the doors nearly ten years ago, goes alright too.
I have said it before he was drafted and will say it again , If Higgins was 8-9cm taller he would have been top 2/3 in his draft year

I have said it before he was drafted and will say it again , If Higgins was 8-9cm taller he would have been top 2/3 in his draft year
He would have no doubt. That’s sort of what I’m getting at we had this ridiculous year where we won everything, then with the last first round pick this bloke lands in our laps.

He would have no doubt. That’s sort of what I’m getting at we had this ridiculous year where we won everything, then with the last first round pick this bloke lands in our laps.

A grade talent that dropped because he was 1) so obviously A grade talent and so had 'no development' left, and 2) is short.

Hahaha sucked in. :p:thumbsu::rainbow:

just hope he looks forward to his long term future and chances of being a leader and balances that with his current new kid on the block class clown behavior. Once you get a rep it sticks and takes a lot to get out from under it, if at all. I don't mind different individuals, but this is a professional sport with lots of media scrutiny, so when you have an out there personality it is a thin line between it working for you (as it has so far for snags) and it going against you.

Apart from that amazing goal kick...that reflex interception of an oppo handball was class!
Higgins has got the work ethic, but also got X factor and ability to find the ball in the middle. I hope he doesn’t get the blues. The 2nd year blues. But with Graham not playing Round 1, Caddy in the middle more, among other changes, I think Higgo will thrive.

Higgins has got the work ethic, but also got X factor and ability to find the ball in the middle. I hope he doesn’t get the blues. The 2nd year blues. But with Graham not playing Round 1, Caddy in the middle more, among other changes, I think Higgo will thrive.
Yeah I'm looking forward to watching more of Higgo magic this year...cherry on top of everything else that's happening at Tiger Land this year...

A grade talent that dropped because he was 1) so obviously A grade talent and so had 'no development' left, and 2) is short.

Hahaha sucked in. :p:thumbsu::rainbow:
There was an element of luck too. In that Riolis spot was up for grabs. Higgo takes it and doesn’t let go. The names Naish, CCJ
and Balta have come up. Depth ruckmen at Richmond don’t get many games, Naish has a lot of players ahead of him. Balta has the most chance out of the 3.

There was an element of luck too. In that Riolis spot was up for grabs. Higgo takes it and doesn’t let go. The names Naish, CCJ
and Balta have come up. Depth ruckmen at Richmond don’t get many games, Naish has a lot of players ahead of him. Balta has the most chance out of the 3.
Callum Moore is still a good prospect.

Callum Moore is still a good prospect.

I wouldnt mind seeing Moore playing the 3rd tall - Caddy role at some point this year with Caddy getting more time in the midfield

Moore imo has not been able to play the conventional foward role in the games he has played last year due to our game plan and the requirement for him to play a similar role to Jack Riewoldt in making sure ball comes to ground.

Would like to see him released from this shackles and told to play as the 3rd tall but to make sure the tackle pressure remains and go for his marks and play
as a 3rd tall he could really become a massive headache for other sides.

Just has to make sure he gets his kicking right though

just hope he looks forward to his long term future and chances of being a leader and balances that with his current new kid on the block class clown behavior. Once you get a rep it sticks and takes a lot to get out from under it, if at all. I don't mind different individuals, but this is a professional sport with lots of media scrutiny, so when you have an out there personality it is a thin line between it working for you (as it has so far for snags) and it going against you.
I think he already has a good balance to be honest....

Blokes who get we reputation of being the class clown generally keep it because their actions are mirrored out on the ground. They do stupid things at all the wrong times and give the appearance they dont care (which is normally wrong mind you). But Higgo's on field dedication already as a first year player will mean he is taken seriously, but recognised he can relax and make fun of himself off the field.

I wouldnt mind seeing Moore playing the 3rd tall - Caddy role at some point this year with Caddy getting more time in the midfield

Moore imo has not been able to play the conventional foward role in the games he has played last year due to our game plan and the requirement for him to play a similar role to Jack Riewoldt in making sure ball comes to ground.

Would like to see him released from this shackles and told to play as the 3rd tall but to make sure the tackle pressure remains and go for his marks and play
as a 3rd tall he could really become a massive headache for other sides.

Just has to make sure he gets his kicking right though

So you are saying Dimma will completely move away from the game plan that won you a GF and made you the best team in the H&A season last year.

I get the addition of a quality forward like Lynch, and that the game plan will be slightly tinkered to adjust to this. But are you really saying dimma will add another tall (193cm) forward, tell him to play as a 3rd tall but “make sure the tackle pressure remains”? I really can’t see it happening.

Jack and Lynch are two of the best KPF in the game. Caddy’s best position is as the 3rd, mobile forward.

Moore is depth at this stage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you are saying Dimma will completely move away from the game plan that won you a GF and made you the best team in the H&A season last year.

I get the addition of a quality forward like Lynch, and that the game plan will be slightly tinkered to adjust to this. But are you really saying dimma will add another tall (193cm) forward, tell him to play as a 3rd tall but “make sure the tackle pressure remains”? I really can’t see it happening.

Jack and Lynch are two of the best KPF in the game. Caddy’s best position is as the 3rd, mobile forward.

Moore is depth at this stage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Moore can play the Caddy role , He is faster and bigger than Caddy so nothing really changes the dynamic's of the game plan if Caddy was to play midfield the foward setup will remain the same.

HF: Butler - Riewoldt - Rioli
FF: Moore - Lynch - Higgins/Castagna

Moore into Caddy's role
Lynch into Townsend role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it amazing on social media the scoffs he gets for not finishing school but imo he’s a better role model than most

Ultimate dedication and work ethic

In hindsight finishing vce for myself was a mistake and a waste of two years that I could of used starting my trade qualification earlier than what I did

Doesn't need schooling when he knows exactly what he wants. He'll succeed better than most just on that alone.

Moore can play the Caddy role , He is faster and bigger than Caddy so nothing really changes the dynamic's of the game plan if Caddy was to play midfield the foward setup will remain the same.

Moore into Caddy's role
Lynch into Townsend role
So Dimma will totally move away from his game plan of 2017 and 2018? The one that has been so successful.

Moore and Lynch are nowhere near as mobile as Caddy and Townsend (who was not part of your best 22 last year). They cannot chase, tackle and harass like Caddy and Townsend. I think it would be extremely unlikely that this would happen. Moore would effectively be taking one of Higgins or Castagna's spots, not Townsends.

So Dimma will totally move away from his game plan of 2017 and 2018? The one that has been so successful.

Moore and Lynch are nowhere near as mobile as Caddy and Townsend (who was not part of your best 22 last year). They cannot chase, tackle and harass like Caddy and Townsend. I think it would be extremely unlikely that this would happen. Moore would effectively be taking one of Higgins or Castagna's spots, not Townsends.

Disagree

Moore into Caddy's role
Lynch into Townsend role

Cal is a bit lazy, had a real chance to step up in the finals for our reserves and was disappointing

Cal is a bit lazy, had a real chance to step up in the finals for our reserves and was disappointing
Cal Moore is too good for VFL but just needs to adapt to the speed of AFL and have the confidence to do it at the higher level and feel as though he belongs in the best 22. He is only 22 and for a KPF thats still early

With Callum Moore i just get the feeling at anytime he could break the game open, He has all the Tools (except) kicking accuracy to become a 40 Goal foward

he RAN out of mum's womb...then did a few laps of of the room...then some ropeskipping with his umbilical cord...

When the nurses finally caught him to check his vitals...he said: Easy i'll tell yous...they're going at 1000 mins per second !!!

His fav song is definitely:

Last edited:
I don't know what it is with Caddy, but he certainly gets looked on harshly (by both Richmond fans and oppositions alike). Possibly his on field demeanour which is a little arrogant and "look at me campaigners". But anyone questioning is actual ability and what he has to offer is kidding themselves. He had a very good 2017 and more than did his bit in each final. His 2018 was elite, and I see no reason why he can't transition into more of a mid-forward than a forward-mid. Has been another wonderful trade for us, and a big kudos to our football department for bringing him over.

I don't know what it is with Caddy, but he certainly gets looked on harshly (by both Richmond fans and oppositions alike). Possibly his on field demeanour which is a little arrogant and "look at me campaigners". But anyone questioning is actual ability and what he has to offer is kidding themselves. He had a very good 2017 and more than did his bit in each final. His 2018 was elite, and I see no reason why he can't transition into more of a mid-forward than a forward-mid. Has been another wonderful trade for us, and a big kudos to our football department for bringing him over.

Agreed , Caddy has been a sensational get for the Tigers and couldnt be any happier
I think the knock on him by people is that everybody expects him to take his game to the next level as a big inside midfielder and dominate games in the center to reach the next level which he is yet to do. His work as a foward and part time mid is great but think thats his next step to be recognized as a gun mid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back