The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently naming rights are up for sale.
May be the last season it'll be called The Gabba.
I think most will still refer to it as the Gabba, just as many still call Etihad “Docklands” or Geelong’s ground “Kardinia Park” or WA’s old Subiaco Oval instead of whatever the sponsors name ground it was.

I think most will still refer to it as the Gabba, just as many still call Etihad “Docklands” or Geelong’s ground “Kardinia Park” or WA’s old Subiaco Oval instead of whatever the sponsors name ground it was.

Would be great if we got D.C stadium so we could create a rivalry with Marvel.

So I read their looking at putting in a field level suite if they did that do you think they should do something like the NFL stadiums.

4D199308-AAEF-4C0D-B173-3168F0CAE271.jpeg F52C0886-B505-4C84-851B-8F77106CC432.jpeg

The official name as it is right now is the Brisbane Cricket Ground and we all just call it The Gabba. They'll just stick another name in front of it. The Virgin Australia Gabba or something like that. Anyone who talks about where they're going will still call it The Gabba by default anyway. It's a smart move to generate some much needed funds and upgrades, and I really don't know why they haven't done it sooner.

Last edited:
We pay enough for the rights to reside there.
So it should be the (BBFFC-Gabba)!

It should be called Eric Hipwood's magical funhouse.

Would be great if we got D.C stadium so we could create a rivalry with Marvel.
Sadly, given ownership rights on DC and local attractions it will probably be Warner Brothers Movieworld Gabba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The official name as it is right now is the Brisbane Cricket Ground and we all just The Gabba. They'll just stick another name in front of it. The Virgin Australia Gabba or something like that. Anyone who talks about where they're going will still call it The Gabba by default anyway. It's a smart move to generate some much needed funds and upgrades, and I really don't know why they haven't done it sooner.

True. By the time they do it though it will likely just be making up the $2 million+ shortfall they experience when the Lions leave the joint.

Easy at this stage to say it will still be known as The Gabba, but I know plenty of middle aged rugby league fans, none of whom call Suncorp Stadium Lang Park anymore.
Doesn't really bother me, but I do think it's a shame.
Camperdown Dairy Milk Stadium ;)
You know the Cowboys home ground in Townsville was Dairy Farmers Stadium for 15 years. Now it's called 1300Smiles Stadium. :tongueclosed:

"Cheer the Lions, as they run onto Paddlepop Arena".

Do you seriously think the men’s side would play out at Springfield? No chance the lions leave The Gabba

He might be referring to our admin and other facilities moving to Springfield so they won't be getting the millions we pay in rent.

He might be referring to our admin and other facilities moving to Springfield so they won't be getting the millions we pay in rent.
The majority of the rent the club pays would be for match day leasing. The club would save money but not millions

The majority of the rent the club pays would be for match day leasing. The club would save money but not millions

The overwhelming majority of what we pay the Gabba is for renting the training and admin spaces. The price we pay is obscene. Annual savings will definitely be in the millions when we move to Springfield.

On the Roar Deal podcast Greg Swann talked very briefly about Gabba upgrades and mentioned free wireless as a bit of a priority. Does anyone care about this anymore? I did a couple of years ago but data has become so cheap since then that I don’t really think about it. Standard phone plans usually include 30+ GB of data so there’s not much issue with watching replays or anything similar at the games for me. Any reason this needs to still be a priority issue?

On the Roar Deal podcast Greg Swann talked very briefly about Gabba upgrades and mentioned free wireless as a bit of a priority. Does anyone care about this anymore? I did a couple of years ago but data has become so cheap since then that I don’t really think about it. Standard phone plans usually include 30+ GB of data so there’s not much issue with watching replays or anything similar at the games for me. Any reason this needs to still be a priority issue?

I could be wrong but I think the main reason is because signal can often get very slow there with so many people trying to use it - wifi designed to handle mass pressure would stop that happening.

I could be wrong but I think the main reason is because signal can often get very slow there with so many people trying to use it - wifi designed to handle mass pressure would stop that happening.

Yep could be right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back