Grand Slam Australian Open 2019

Who will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There was one year (from memory 98) where it ran into the first week of school. I was mega annoyed as I enjoy the second week of the grand slam and I missed most of it that year. I also didn't see the womens final LIVE for the first time. Too busy playing Red Alert on playstation with friends.
Same thing happened to me in 2009 with school starting in the second week of the tournament.

I've looked back at the dates for the Australian Open.

1982 - moved from late December to late November
1986 - not held
1987 - moved from late November to mid January
1988 - moved from Kooyong to Melbourne Park

1987 - started January 12
1988 - started January 11
ever since, has always started between January 13 and January 19, except for 1997 (Jan 20).
2020 - will start on either January 13 or 20.

Some extra trivia
1988 - singles draw went from 96 to 128 players
1983 - singles draw went from 64 to 96 players
1982 - 3rd and 4th rounds (men) was best-of-3 sets, other rounds were best-of-5.

Last edited:
There was one year (from memory 98) where it ran into the first week of school. I was mega annoyed as I enjoy the second week of the grand slam and I missed most of it that year. I also didn't see the womens final LIVE for the first time. Too busy playing Red Alert on playstation with friends.
Yeah that sucked. That was the first one I was obsessed about from R1 onwards, remember thinking about Korda, Kucera, etc. in class. The same thing might have possibly happened in '99 as well, as I seem to remember thinking about the Davenport-Mauresmo SF match in class as well.

A few other good matches that were not on RLA or shown on the main ch9 network:

Kei v Busta - dramatic!
Cilic v Agut
Coric v Pouille
Tiafoe v Dimitrov
Cilic v Verdasco

in other news:

A report from American media claims Tennis Australia and Australian Open officials have already begun planning to allow coaching at the 2020 Open — making this year’s event the last one where all forms of coaching are banned once players have stepped out onto court.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tenni...n/news-story/86c5459d0f32cdcc124b694d51c69672

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have no problem with coaching being allowed. Has always been ridiculous that the player is penalised rather than the coach.

But I want strict controls on time between points. If your 25 seconds has elapsed, it should be loss of first serve.

I would have no problem with coaching being allowed. Has always been ridiculous that the player is penalised rather than the coach.

But I want strict controls on time between points. If your 25 seconds has elapsed, it should be loss of first serve.

I'd actually be happy with allowing coaches to come onto the court after sets similar to what they do in WTA. It would eliminate so much of the coaching from the stands.

Agreed on the 25 seconds, should be a loss of serves and then point penalties thereafter.

I noticed a small overdue scheduling change for the Aus Open 2020.

The mens doubles and mixed doubles finals have been swapped. So the mens doubles will be played on the Sunday afternoon before the mens singles. The mixed will be played after the Womans singles on the Saturday night.

Back