Why does Adelaide get such a bad wrap?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Adelaide gets a bad wrap for a number of reasons, broken into good and bad reasons and s**t SA is better at:

Good:
- s**t shopping hours (get better shopping hours in Alice Springs)
- Pissant Town (thats obvious, SAers are quick to kill their own)
- s**t sporting teams (lets be honest, SA teams are always there abouts but rarely win the games that matter, and if they do, they dont make dynasties out of it like others do)
- Airport (what a s**t international airport we have.. and a s**t amount of international flights)
- Development (1 way express way, Hindmarsh is all good, Footy Park is the best stadium, anything over 4 floors is bad)

Bad:
- Plastic Bag ban (if infuriates me when I go to the shops, forget my bag and have to pay 10c for a bloody bag, but the outrage interstate when they tried to move to it last year is mindboggling... respect the environment!)
- Death (so much death happens here by murder... Beaumont, Snowtown, Baby in a Suitcase, Summerton Man etc.)

s**t SA is better at:
- PAFC (nuff said)
- Beaches (SA has some of the best beaches in the world)
- Wine (Ollie, Barossa, McLaren vale, the Hills... say no more)
- Traffic (lived in Alice Springs, Darwin, Melbourne, Jakarta and Adelaide... Melbourne and Jakarta traffic is s**t... Adelaide is good... Alice is best, but like 4 people live there)
- Maslin (great beach to free yourself :straining:)
- Community (Compared to Melbourne at least, SA is a much better community environment)

Unfortunately though SA is the murder capital of Australia which has a s**t airport so no way to escape, and since you are stuck here you are forced to support sports teams who are all s**t and if they start to do well the pissant nature of SA will bring them back down and ruin any chance they had to win anything.

Personally I do not mind the plastic bag ban. I have no trouble and I also like the 10 cent container deposit on bottles and cans. I note that an increasing number of businesses have gone back to using paper straws South Australia has lead the way on these issues and they have not worried me at all.

That one way expressway is also now two way. The only trouble atm is getting onto it and off of it. Congestion at the Old Noarlunga end in the mornings and roadworks at the Darlington end. That Darlington hang up will sort iteself out when the new roadway is completed but the Aldinga to Old Noarlunga congestion is another story.

Adelaide Airport is not the biggest but it is far from the worst in Australia. Try transiting from an international to a domestic flight in Sydney sometime. The last time I tried it took me 90 minutes and that was with a Qantas Business Class fast track pass. After collecting baggage and clearing customs and immigration I had to catch a bus from the International Terminal to the Domestic Terminal and the bus had to wait while planes landed before it could proceed across the airport. Sydneysiders do not want a second airport for no reason.

Adelaide Oval is much better placed than most other Capital City sporting venues and the atmosphere is great. It is a pity that the game day experience is spoiled by a bunch of money grabbing sharks. That is not the ground's fault though and it has to be a plus in terms of proximity to trains, trams, accommodation and the CBD. If the light rail to the Airport ever gets built it could be possible to get from the Airport to a seat at the Adelaide Oval in 40-50 minutes and that is not too bad.

Slowly sucessive State Governments are realising that extending tram services is worth the effort. Trams are free within the CBD but alas there are not enough of them. Hopefully the tram service to Port Adelaide/ Semaphore will be constructed in the next decade although it is to be hoped it tracks down the middle of the Port Road and not along the Outer Harbour Train line as proposed by the previous Government. In addition trams to the Airport, The Parade at Norwood and O'Connell St North Adelaide will also hopefully come quickly. The rail spur from Alberton to the Port Dock Station is planned but again work is still to be started. Sadly South Aussies will not be encouraged by Minister Knoll's handling of the tram right turn at North Terrace. Prior to the 2018 election the Liberals were railing (excuse the pun) for a right turn. They were told not feasible as it will cause too much delay for traffic. So what happens? they win Government, spend 300k of taxpayers money on a feasibility study only to be told it cannot be done.

Truly on the debit side is Adelaide's inadequate road network. Adelaide used to be a '20 minute city' as it was possible to get from the CBD to the outer suburbs in twenty minutes. In the past twenty years that has changed as traffic congestion has risen rapidly. Clearly the road and public transport have not kept pace with a society in which every one feels it is their right to have a car and drive it to work and back every day. Thirty or so years ago few households had more then two cars but now a days Adelaide families have four or maybe more and most of them cannot spell 'car pool' let alone know what it means. The result is more cars on the roads providing you can actually get onto them. A constant stream (pardon a second pun) of bursting water mains means arteries to and from the city are frequently closed or restricted. Case in point there have been two burst mains on the South Road in the past two weeks resulting in lengthy delays.

Get hit crossing the road in the Adelaide CBD and it may only take ten or so minutes to get you to hospital as it is a shiny new one on North Tce. The only problem is you may spent eight hours in the ambulance while they find you a bed. Ramping was something the Marshall Government was going to fix but so far it has got worse on Minister Wade's watch.

Adelaide is like most cities plenty knock if you look hard enough but also plenty to like.

I really like the idea of opening the Port Dock railway station again. Good for the Port redevelopment
If only we could run that line over the top of the Port so it could follow the Port River expressway, then follow the South Road extension through the salt pans and out to developing northeastern suburbs, it would add to the credibility of re-establishment.
Be terrific if it were electrified too.
The benefit would clearly reside with utilising unestablished land for the rail link.
Maybe even out to the Barossa Valley again?
I cant stop thinking that running a tram down to the Port is over-servicing though.

Personally I do not mind the plastic bag ban. I have no trouble and I also like the 10 cent container deposit on bottles and cans. I note that an increasing number of businesses have gone back to using paper straws South Australia has lead the way on these issues and they have not worried me at all.

That one way expressway is also now two way. The only trouble atm is getting onto it and off of it. Congestion at the Old Noarlunga end in the mornings and roadworks at the Darlington end. That Darlington hang up will sort iteself out when the new roadway is completed but the Aldinga to Old Noarlunga congestion is another story.

Adelaide Airport is not the biggest but it is far from the worst in Australia. Try transiting from an international to a domestic flight in Sydney sometime. The last time I tried it took me 90 minutes and that was with a Qantas Business Class fast track pass. After collecting baggage and clearing customs and immigration I had to catch a bus from the International Terminal to the Domestic Terminal and the bus had to wait while planes landed before it could proceed across the airport. Sydneysiders do not want a second airport for no reason.

Adelaide Oval is much better placed than most other Capital City sporting venues and the atmosphere is great. It is a pity that the game day experience is spoiled by a bunch of money grabbing sharks. That is not the ground's fault though and it has to be a plus in terms of proximity to trains, trams, accommodation and the CBD. If the light rail to the Airport ever gets built it could be possible to get from the Airport to a seat at the Adelaide Oval in 40-50 minutes and that is not too bad.

Slowly sucessive State Governments are realising that extending tram services is worth the effort. Trams are free within the CBD but alas there are not enough of them. Hopefully the tram service to Port Adelaide/ Semaphore will be constructed in the next decade although it is to be hoped it tracks down the middle of the Port Road and not along the Outer Harbour Train line as proposed by the previous Government. In addition trams to the Airport, The Parade at Norwood and O'Connell St North Adelaide will also hopefully come quickly. The rail spur from Alberton to the Port Dock Station is planned but again work is still to be started. Sadly South Aussies will not be encouraged by Minister Knoll's handling of the tram right turn at North Terrace. Prior to the 2018 election the Liberals were railing (excuse the pun) for a right turn. They were told not feasible as it will cause too much delay for traffic. So what happens? they win Government, spend 300k of taxpayers money on a feasibility study only to be told it cannot be done.

Truly on the debit side is Adelaide's inadequate road network. Adelaide used to be a '20 minute city' as it was possible to get from the CBD to the outer suburbs in twenty minutes. In the past twenty years that has changed as traffic congestion has risen rapidly. Clearly the road and public transport have not kept pace with a society in which every one feels it is their right to have a car and drive it to work and back every day. Thirty or so years ago few households had more then two cars but now a days Adelaide families have four or maybe more and most of them cannot spell 'car pool' let alone know what it means. The result is more cars on the roads providing you can actually get onto them. A constant stream (pardon a second pun) of bursting water mains means arteries to and from the city are frequently closed or restricted. Case in point there have been two burst mains on the South Road in the past two weeks resulting in lengthy delays.

Get hit crossing the road in the Adelaide CBD and it may only take ten or so minutes to get you to hospital as it is a shiny new one on North Tce. The only problem is you may spent eight hours in the ambulance while they find you a bed. Ramping was something the Marshall Government was going to fix but so far it has got worse on Minister Wade's watch.

Adelaide is like most cities plenty knock if you look hard enough but also plenty to like.

When I listen to the traffic updates on ABC news radio in the mornings, nearly every day Adelaide has at least one burst water main. Maybe the other cities do too, but they also have real bad traffic to report on ;)

When I listen to the traffic updates on ABC news radio in the mornings, nearly every day Adelaide has at least one burst water main. Maybe the other cities do too, but they also have real bad traffic to report on ;)

Adelaide has some pretty reactive soil particularly out around the north eastern suburbs. This soil is clay and quite plastic. It expands and contracts with dry and wet weather and this summer has been very dry. Suburbs like Campbelltown, Windsor Gardens and Newton seem to have regular pipe bursts. That said just lately the southern and beachside suburbs have been getting hit. A couple of years back the Wetherill Government was talking about investing in robot technology so they could inspect pipes regularly but as far as I know nothing has come of it.

So much this. Traffic and congestion has become so much worse in recent years, exacerbated by a public transport system that's a bit s**t. But as you point out, a big problem is that everybody in Adelaide feels entitled to drive everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've caught the bus to work for the last 15 years - just saying.
More exercise, more social, podcasts for entertainment, cheaper and one less car on the road.

Hope you all caught Travel Guides this week, apparently we are the city to get naked in lol.

Adelaide could improve in a few key areas, but overall we are very lucky to be here.

Apparently a Monopoly Times poll has found that 60% of South Australians are opposed to oil drilling in the Bight. So where do South Australians think the money will come from when the defence contracts have gone? Off shore drilling has not worried most other countries whose ecomomies have benefited from the results. Drilling does not automatically mean oil or gas but surely in a depressed economy you have to give it a go?

In case that majority have missed it Holden and Mitsubishi have closed their doors as have many of the component manufacturers that supplied them. In addition we have lost white goods manufacturers and Clipsal. Is it any wonder that such a conservative State spawns the likes of poor picked on Sarah Hansen-Young? Hansen-Young and her loonie Greens oppose anything that might force the State to prosper in spite of itself.

If you want to know why South Australia gets such a bad wrap you need only look at that poll result.

Apparently a Monopoly Times poll has found that 60% of South Australians are opposed to oil drilling in the Bight. So where do South Australians think the money will come from when the defence contracts have gone? Off shore drilling has not worried most other countries whose ecomomies have benefited from the results. Drilling does not automatically mean oil or gas but surely in a depressed economy you have to give it a go?

In case that majority have missed it Holden and Mitsubishi have closed their doors as have many of the component manufacturers that supplied them. In addition we have lost white goods manufacturers and Clipsal. Is it any wonder that such a conservative State spawns the likes of poor picked on Sarah Hansen-Young? Hansen-Young and her loonie Greens oppose anything that might force the State to prosper in spite of itself.

If you want to know why South Australia gets such a bad wrap you need only look at that poll result.

I'm not either for or against the drilling but everyone is looking on the "what-ifs" they always look back at the Deepwater Horizon incident acting like its a mere inevitability that the same will happen in the bight.

Its the same with any talks about nuclear energy, the same people will alway spew the same answers of Chernobyl and Fukushima.

where do you think the wealth is gonna go if they do drill in the bight? we'll see a tiny portion of it at the cost of (at best) trashing our clean green reputation and at worst an environmental catastrophe.

it's a s**t idea. surely we can do better than sticking with 19th century ideas about exploiting finite resources.

Noticed a couple of things happening around Adelaide - one good one bad.
First the good
The number of electric bicycles floating around has exploded. I see a big future for lowering congestion with this trend. Imagine coupling this mode of transport with a suitable public transport system, which allows you to get out of a train 10km from the city, and then electric bike it into your office or workplace at 20-25kph. Right to the destination door. In this regard governments, while favouring the development of electric cars, need to think more about such singular favouritism. I see people keeping their hybrid petrol/battery driven vehicles for longer journeys, while using this alternative for workday travel. Lower congestion and reduced emissions. Electric bikes these days can have a range of up to 90km. There is obviously a benefit in having electric vehicles, but range puts in doubt this mode of transport as a sole transportation mode.
The bad:
Riding around on my bike I have noticed a disturbing increase in public phone booths being installed on main roads, and in positions where it would be difficult to hear any phone conversation. It doesnt make sense. Of course this is a cynical rort. The real intent lies with the advertising billboards that accompany these phones. They wouldn't site the phone around the corner, just off the main road to minimise visual pollution now, would they? And to make it easier to conduct a conversation, as well?

Noticed a couple of things happening around Adelaide - one good one bad.
First the good
The number of electric bicycles floating around has exploded. I see a big future for lowering congestion with this trend. Imagine coupling this mode of transport with a suitable public transport system, which allows you to get out of a train 10km from the city, and then electric bike it into your office or workplace at 20-25kph. Right to the destination door. In this regard governments, while favouring the development of electric cars, need to think more about such singular favouritism. I see people keeping their hybrid petrol/battery driven vehicles for longer journeys, while using this alternative for workday travel. Lower congestion and reduced emissions. Electric bikes these days can have a range of up to 90km. There is obviously a benefit in having electric vehicles, but range puts in doubt this mode of transport as a sole transportation mode.
The bad:
Riding around on my bike I have noticed a disturbing increase in public phone booths being installed on main roads, and in positions where it would be difficult to hear any phone conversation. It doesnt make sense. Of course this is a cynical rort. The real intent lies with the advertising billboards that accompany these phones. They wouldn't site the phone around the corner, just off the main road to minimise visual pollution now, would they? And to make it easier to conduct a conversation, as well?

Who the * uses a phone booth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back