The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

BoshtrichBurger you heard this?

Random NZ dude and he absolutely killed it with his debut solo album. Just when I thought Australia was building a solid scene he puts us to shame. Wowee.

Last edited:
Parrafin is definitely a top 10 album for me this year, though admittedly I tend to be a billy woods fanboi.
He's arguably the best lyricist around right now. If not he would go bloody close. God damn History Will Absolve Me is a great album.

New Aesop Rock album is top notch.

The storytelling on Acid King - oof. Great album though. Aesop's lyricism and TOBACCO's futuristic production are a match made in heaven.

The storytelling on Acid King - oof. Great album though. Aesop's lyricism and TOBACCO's futuristic production are a match made in heaven.

Yup. It's also really unfair for any other album to come out this year seeing it's my favourite rapper over a beat style that I love.

Acid King is pretty damn dark.

Anyone hear Benny The Butcher's album from late last year?

Great production from Alchemist, and really solid performance from Benny, even if some of the themes are pretty stock-standard hardcore hip-hop.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Anyone hear Benny The Butcher's album from late last year?

Great production from Alchemist, and really solid performance from Benny, even if some of the themes are pretty stock-standard hardcore hip-hop.

A lot of good s**t coming out of West New York at the moment.

Also digging this album I stumbled across on Bandcamp last month:

Nice. I'll check out some more of his stuff. I've been diggin a few more obscure guys on Bandcamp recently. I'll post some of the stuff I like tomorrow.

Some real madvilliany type vibes with these tracks. Some may not dig the super relaxed flows but there are times where I think this perfectly fits the kind of mood I'm in at the time.

SSwans2011

anyway...

These EPs only go for less than 20mins so make for a very easy listen

Loving the new Danny Brown stuff. I think this is the sound he's searching for.
It seems like he's trying to earn the respect of the classic hip-hop community, which meant I was unlikely to enjoy it, but it's too hard not to with his charisma. No Atrocity Exhibition or XXX, but still a damn good record.

Unintentional triple post, but also want to shout-out the new Westside Gunn album which I think is highly underrated. Some of the skits are a bit much, but I like pretty much all his verses, and his adlibs have to be my favourites of anyone in the game right now:

Back