Discussion Top 10 Pound for pound UFC/Pride fighters of all time? Who is the Greatest Pound for Pound of all Time?

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Who are yours? I'm not asking weight divisions. Just what you think are your best 10. So hypothetical if that means 10 middleweights for example, so be it.

For me, perhaps the greatest of all time is GSP. Anderson Silva has to be up there too, if not the best. Certainly during his peak.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Guys like Belfort, Penn, Chuck when they were in their prime were dynamite. They fought on too long though. That's why I wouldn't put them in my top 10.

Prime, they could easily be there. At least in the discussion obviously.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeh this is tough. I think you have to account for the following

Record, Quality of opponents, titles, X factor.

Obvious ones would be Silva, Fedor, Gracie, GSP, Jones and Cormier.

That next peg down Penn, Couture, Lidell, Ortiz, Gracie, Aldo, Rousey, Belfort, Werdum, Nunes, Edgar, Hendo, Hughes, DJ, Khabib.

Guys like Frye, Arlovski, Cruz, Sylvia, Mir you could argue for too.

I think the top line is about as close as undisputed as you can get. Next line down a bunch could be top line but have an asterisk (Penn fought too long, Coutures record isn’t great, Rousey got starched in her last two fights).

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
How can you guys have Rousey up there?
She got found out massively against high quality opposition.
Rousey was a big fish in a small pond once Womens fighting started to grow and we got some real beasts she got destroyed... twice.

No plan B. Definitely not in the top 10.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rousey was a big fish in a small pond once Womens fighting started to grow and we got some real beasts she got destroyed... twice.

It’s super tough to rank fighters when the sport is so young.

When current fighters are seen as the in the best, you don’t know how they’re career finishes. Maybe Khabib loses his next two and finishes, he will be seen massively different. Fighters have peaks.

Although her losses I think Ronda still should be ranked amongst the best.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

I’ve got her in the band just under the top 10 but an argument can be made for her on legacy alone, the speed with which she dispatched most of her opponents, women in the ufc is almost entirely on her back.

I agree with you but it’s not ridiculous to suggest she’s amongst the greats.

Did fedors legacy take a shot on the weekend? Less than a minute loss to Ryan Bader is a tough one.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I judge them as to how far above their peers they are at the time, so Rousey definitely belongs in the conversation for mine.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve got her in the band just under the top 10 but an argument can be made for her on legacy alone, the speed with which she dispatched most of her opponents, women in the ufc is almost entirely on her back.

I agree with you but it’s not ridiculous to suggest she’s amongst the greats.

Did fedors legacy take a shot on the weekend? Less than a minute loss to Ryan Bader is a tough one.

Fedor is about 30% of the fighter he was so I don't think anyone he does changes his legacy.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
No. It just shows how far Bellator is behind the ufc that they have blokes like fedor & sonnen still fighting .... and for titles.

That's fair, while I loved the fact Fedor was in the final it did speak a bit to the standard of that tournament, maybe moreso than Fedor's ability to still be competing despite being basically finished.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s really hard to gage the older guys. On the one hand it’s oretty sad watching Chuck get starched from a slap or seeing Fedor lose to Bader but on the other hand it is their livelihood and passion.

I have no issue with guys who want to still compete, good luck to them. From a fan's selfish perspective you want to remember them at their best but they're competitive animals and want to bang bro. Though you hope they have a realistic team around them that prevent them from putting themselves in danger like Chuck did vs Tito.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
so where to know from this seems like thay had this great tourney with some pretty big star power, but feels like they havnt grabbed any momentum from it. might just be me sitting back here in australia with no real coverage but i dont get that feeling that they are going foward. I feel OneFC moving foward

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace

Anderson Silvia
Fedor
GSP
Matt Hughes
Mighty Mouse
Jon Jones
Gracie
Penn
Lidell
Couture

And thats rough on guys like Aldo, Wanderlai, Cyborg and my boy Cain, Who i would of put as top 10 if was about whos the best at their peak

Guys like McGregor/Rousey im not sure. Rousey did some massive things for the sport and in general female athletes. One trick pony however she just bullied people untill she was exposed. Mcgregor as well drew so much attention. Then also took a giant s**t on the sport.

W/Fedor, He's 42 years old and was done when he was 35. He already looked like he had started to slow down when he finally got done by Werdum. I dont think his recent losses takes away from his streak from 2000-2009

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't stand Matt Hughes that corn bread eating mother *er

I can't stand Matt Hughes that corn bread eating mother ******

Should watch his short docco on fight pass (not sure if it's on Youtube) his accident has really humbled him, to the point he's a different person. His wife and even himself admitted pre-accident he was a completely selfish campaigner and horrible family man.

The amount of recovery he achieved from the accident is almost if not more impressive than what he did in the cage, can't recommend the docco enough.

Back