Cummins Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Hazlewood has a test average of 26.7

If he maintained that he would be one of Australia's all time greats.
Last calendar year is 33 without a 4-for. He's not been great for a while.

He's an absolute gun and I have no doubt in his long term selection and you'd be ballsy to bet against him reaching 300 test wickets but might need a little kick up the bum to get him going again.

His returns in this series have been good but doesn't feel like he has got the same threatening vibe of years gone past *. It will come back.

*I'm going purely off daily highlights in this series due to ****ed timezone.

**Not saying I would definitely drop him. Just food for thought. It would be a tough call to make.

He's an absolute gun and I have no doubt in his long term selection and you'd be ballsy to bet against him reaching 300 test wickets but might need a little kick up the bum to get him going again.

His returns in this series have been good but doesn't feel like he has got the same threatening vibe of years gone past *. It will come back.

*I'm going purely off daily highlights in this series due to ****** timezone.

**Not saying I would definitely drop him. Just food for thought. It would be a tough call to make.

Fair enough, I can't see the selectors doing it because even if someone comes in an takes a 5fa, Haze is still the first bowler selected in the next match.

*I'm going purely off daily highlights in this series due to ****** timezone.

Starc and Cummins are better at the tail than than he is, that's probably why he's not collecting the four and fiverfors.

With an 18 year old Cummins and an early 20s Pattinson (both were miles ahead of Starc as test bowlers) both bowling brilliantly in their early games I thought we were on the verge of witnessing one of the all time great fast bowling duo's. Sadly both have been absolutely smashed by injury.

Cummins doesn't look as good as he does but with a few more injury free series' hopefully he can get more confidence in his body and return to his best.

This.
I was excited to see two genuine 150 kmhr bowlers.
Sadly it didnt pan out then.
Still pretty good attack and perhaps you pattinson will join the attack

In his 19th Test 88 wickets at an average of under 23 #overrated

Sri Lanka is basically the first mug team he has got to play at home as well so it is not as if he has had the chance to take a lot of cheapies either.

SA away x 2
India home and away
England home
Bangladesh away

I've posted about it before but the thing I remember most about Patty was the fourth morning of the third test against South Africa in Cape Town- aka; the morning after the Ball Tampering Scandal broke.

Cummins was the only player who showed any heart or interest in being on the field. He bowled brilliantly that morning and was the only player making any noise on the field. It was true leadership from one of the youngest players on the field. He charged in over after over (with no support at the other end or from his team-mates) and prevented the morning from becoming even more of a farce than it already was.

Whether the setbacks he faced early in his career means that he makes the most of every moment he has on the field, I'm not sure- but it was something that I'll never forget and showed the class and talent he possesses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just a magnificent cricketer.

Probably my favourite international player outside of India, just seems to give his 100% no matter the state of the game and is also a very likeable character on and off the field.

I think he is someone that has serious leadership credentials, but not sure if Australia would ever opt for a fast bowling captain. Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure if he would have ever allowed the sandpaper gate to happen if he had been the captain. Australia uses the "play hard but fair" cliche to death but if there's one player that is an embodiment of that tagline, it's probably Cummins. But anyway, having leadership credentials is one thing, but you also need to be tactically good to be the captain and not sure if he has any captaincy experience before.

I've posted about it before but the thing I remember most about Patty was the fourth morning of the third test against South Africa in Cape Town- aka; the morning after the Ball Tampering Scandal broke.

Cummins was the only player who showed any heart or interest in being on the field. He bowled brilliantly that morning and was the only player making any noise on the field. It was true leadership from one of the youngest players on the field. He charged in over after over (with no support at the other end or from his team-mates) and prevented the morning from becoming even more of a farce than it already was.

Whether the setbacks he faced early in his career means that he makes the most of every moment he has on the field, I'm not sure- but it was something that I'll never forget and showed the class and talent he possesses.

The huy's got a great temperament for the pressure of international level sport. I wish it could rub off on some of the others, but you either have that or you don't.

Sids has an excellent temperament but he's not got the talent Cummins has.

With his test series to date being:

South Africa (Away)
India (Away)
England (Home)
South Africa (Away)
Bangladesh (Away)
India (Home)
Sri Lanka (Home)

He's played 80% of his tests against the top 2 ranked test nations and 21% of his total tests on subcontinent pitches.

Cummins has 76 wickets @ 20.72, SR 42.3 in 15 test matches on western pitches.

That's putting him right in Steyn/Rabada territory.

Rabada has played 7% of his tests on subcontinent pitches.

Rabada has 158 wickets @ 22.25, SR 39.92 in 32 test matches on western pitches.

Steyn has 318 wickets @ 22.97, SR 42.62 in 65 test matches on western pitches.

Last edited:
You must have been the world's best player the way you criticise great players
Where can we find you on Cricinfo? I'll bet your stats are insane
Why is it so controversial to want to wait until he’s played abroad more before deciding? He has 14 wickets outside SA and Aus, which are similar style wickets suited to him.

Why is it so wrong to wait?
Why is that deserving of scorn?

He’s a good bowler. Relax.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back