Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not the 90s anymore, the half bank flank is now the least accountable role you can have.

Every team has a defensive zone that they play now, so instead of following around a man all day most clubs will allow one of their flankers to roam freely to hurt the opposition as much as they can. Blokes like Rory Laird, Jayden Short, Jake Lloyd and Zac Williams are all allowed the freedom to do whatever they want, because their structure has them with little to no defensive responsibility.

Hall would be more likely to have a man playing on him than the other way around.

Last edited:
Is that you brad??
Time to burn any natural attacking flair left out of his game?
In the last four seasons North Melbourne have scored better than their respective end of H&A season position 3 times with the other season being a tie. This suggests an attacking game plan.

2018: Points scored rank - 7th. Ladder position - 9th.
2017: 9th - 15th
2016: 8th - 8th
2015: 5th - 8th

He's not perfect but he's no Ross Lyon/Paul Roos.

In the last four seasons North Melbourne have scored better than their respective end of H&A season position 3 times with the other season being a tie. This suggests an attacking game plan.

2018: Points scored rank - 7th. Ladder position - 9th.
2017: 9th - 15th
2016: 8th - 8th
2015: 5th - 8th

He's not perfect but he's no Ross Lyon/Paul Roos.

Yeah, we don't have an issue with attacking, you could probably argue we attack too often/too carelessly as we roost the ball forward out of the middle instead of attacking less frequently but making sure we hit up targets with higher probability passes.

I haven't checked, but I can almost guarantee that clubs that have played us have astronomic rebound data. We give the ball up way too easily and at times it is very costly going the other way.

Yeah, we don't have an issue with attacking, you could probably argue we attack too often/too carelessly as we roost the ball forward out of the middle instead of attacking less frequently but making sure we hit up targets with higher probability passes.

I haven't checked, but I can almost guarantee that clubs that have played us have astronomic rebound data. We give the ball up way too easily and at times it is very costly going the other way.
Our strategy centers on the laws of probability.

We can do that already (we did beat the premiers... away from Perth but still better than say Collingwood). The problem is going to sleep instead of going for the throat against worse teams.

Yeah, we can beat anyone when we play well enough, but we always lose far too many games we shouldn't given the caliber of teams we can beat. A lot of what we do, we do well so I don't want to see us throw the baby out with the bathwater. I do hope to see change for the better in areas that religiously have caused us to miss goals or concede goals, if that makes us a 3 goal better team every week than we were last year then that is 6 wins that were losses last year. 18 wins would have had us vie for top spot.

It has been the little things that has been the cause of us not making finals, not making the top 4. I'd love to see us improve in those areas. If we don't change those things then the laws of probably aren't likely to be kind to us. Every year I rock up hoping we can do better because the things we need to fix aren't difficult to fix, it just requires repetition and the execution of what are basic fundamentals of the game all of our players are capable of doing. If you are going to see change, you will see it at training first.

Not a Brad fan I take it?

I meant more in the sense to allowing him to discover he has the ability to be both offensive and defend just as well when required.
I hope he doesn't lose that attacking flair because it's something that can really help give us an edge this year.

He can defend fine. His tackle averages are just as good as Higgins & Polec

Laws of probably have dictated that we will struggle to get past a mid-table team unless we use the ball better.
Poise over manic.

Poise over manic.

Exactly. Poise when attacking, executing the basics in defense.

How many goals do we concede to just very amateurish mistakes which the top sides rarely do? The number of back half cross ground transition kicks that went straight to the opposition and cost us goals last year was just staggering, we aren't good enough to be conceding the opposition a multiple goal head start before the game begins from just numerous defensive brain fades. We need a tight defensive unit, like we were early in the season last year.

Bulldogs beat us without even fielding a ruckman, they conceded first possession as well but sweated on the guys getting possession of the ball and we just turned the ball over at will, when you are that predictable in terms of how you move the ball and the lack of desire to retain the ball or protect the ball carrier it makes you very vulnerable, we were fortunate more teams didn't deploy similar tactics.

I'd love to see Cunnington push more aggressively to the half-forward outside of stoppages and the ball used through him, he has amazing hands and his sub 30m short kicking is elite, I put him in the same league as Boomer or Wells in terms of the ability to put that short kick into a good position for forwards, the major issue was he was rarely in a good position to receive the ball and wasn't aggressive in terms of demanding the ball go through him. I think just utilising our strengths better would make a significant difference. Ben has to stick his hand up though and say give me the ball.

The bevy of new faces was the primary focus heading into the session, with the likes of Aaron Hall, Dom Tyson and Tom Campbell quick to impress those at their new club.

A high-quality offensive midfielder, Hall was impactful in transition, using his pace to move the ball forward inside 50 and create goal scoring opportunities.

The former Sun has rarely looked out of place since arriving at the club, and Friday was no exception, with the 28-year-old looking comfortable around the likes of Shaun Higgins and Ben Cunnington.

180119_Gallery10.jpg

Nice pic of Rat chasing his career.

Exactly. Poise when attacking, executing the basics in defense.

How many goals do we concede to just very amateurish mistakes which the top sides rarely do? The number of back half cross ground transition kicks that went straight to the opposition and cost us goals last year was just staggering, we aren't good enough to be conceding the opposition a multiple goal head start before the game begins from just numerous defensive brain fades. We need a tight defensive unit, like we were early in the season last year.

Bulldogs beat us without even fielding a ruckman, they conceded first possession as well but sweated on the guys getting possession of the ball and we just turned the ball over at will, when you are that predictable in terms of how you move the ball and the lack of desire to retain the ball or protect the ball carrier it makes you very vulnerable, we were fortunate more teams didn't deploy similar tactics.

I'd love to see Cunnington push more aggressively to the half-forward outside of stoppages and the ball used through him, he has amazing hands and his sub 30m short kicking is elite, I put him in the same league as Boomer or Wells in terms of the ability to put that short kick into a good position for forwards, the major issue was he was rarely in a good position to receive the ball and wasn't aggressive in terms of demanding the ball go through him. I think just utilising our strengths better would make a significant difference. Ben has to stick his hand up though and say give me the ball.

Our issue is, no matter the opposition, if they’re applying more pressure/tackles than us on the day we turn into butter. We can collapse under pressure and end up turning it over throughout the game

We are not heaps capable of turning the tide once we know we are being hunted but that’s something I hope we’re working on

Defensive pressure/tackling = more turnovers from the opposition and easier goals/attacking for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our issue is, no matter the opposition, if they’re applying more pressure/tackles than us on the day we turn into butter. We can collapse under pressure and end up turning it over throughout the game

We are not heaps capable of turning the tide once we know we are being hunted but that’s something I hope we’re working on

Defensive pressure/tackling = more turnovers from the opposition and easier goals/attacking for us
I don’t want to stick the boots in but opposition players would often let some of our poorer ball users off the chain.. imagine having Polec or Ahern delivering the ball inside, instead of Clarke and Gibson.
hopefully the addition of two or three good ball users, in and around the middle, goes a long way to addressing, a big flaw in our game plan.

Last edited:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/d1eab5571f961070c09c13b9f7376822

24. THE CURIOUS CASE OF AARON HALL

When he isn’t winning three Brownlow votes for pulsating 35-possession displays, he’s been dropped for lack of defensive run and not going hard enough at the ball. Now Brad Scott gets the chance to do what others couldn’t — turn him into a consistent, week-in, week-out contributor.

Will be interesting but if it's a success it will be hard to figure out how much is Brad Scott, how much is North Melbourne and how much is the fact that we're not Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back