Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
When we play Norf Blakey will take some pressure off Bud when he overtakes him as the most booed forward on the ground.
Yep and I don’t think it will bother him though. Reports from the Academy boys is that he’s extremely calm under provocation and nothing seems to distract him. Not the same as playing in front of 30 or 40,000 spectators and against real AFL players I know but he was certainly singled out for a lot of attention from opposition players last year and it didn’t seem to worry him at all.

Yep and I don’t think it will bother him though. Reports from the Academy boys is that he’s extremely calm under provocation and nothing seems to distract him. Not the same as playing in front of 30 or 40,000 spectators and against real AFL players I know but he was certainly singled out for a lot of attention from opposition players last year and it didn’t seem to worry him at all.

Yeah that was actually the one thing I noticed in a lot of his highlights, going back to his opponent to let him know about it. Seems to like the competition side of footy. Hopefully he'll learn to channel that in all the right ways once he gets to AFL level

Lolcameninf do not attract crowds approaching those numbers. Our fans close to outnumber theirs in Melbourne.

Blakey is on set contract for the next 2 year under the CBA of $95,000 plus match payments and $105,000 next year plus match payment with a bonus up to $30,000 next year if he plays 17 games this year.

You would think the extension for the 3rd and 4th year would be minor (in the $150,000 to $200,000 range) that allows him to play to that figure and earn a bigger raise in year 5 and beyond.

Blakey is on set contract for the next 2 year under the CBA of $95,000 plus match payments and $105,000 next year plus match payment with a bonus up to $30,000 next year if he plays 17 games this year.

You would think the extension for the 3rd and 4th year would be minor (in the $150,000 to $200,000 range) that allows him to play to that figure and earn a bigger raise in year 5 and beyond.
How do you know this stuff robbieando? No doubting, just curious...

Taken a bit of time off from big footy this off season to unwind and recharge. How is blakey travelling? Any real threat of becoming a threatening senior player from round 1

He’ll be playing round 1 whether threatening or not, count on it.

Taken a bit of time off from big footy this off season to unwind and recharge. How is blakey travelling? Any real threat of becoming a threatening senior player from round 1

Probably 4 touches a game if playing forward.

7 if playing midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably 4 touches a game if playing forward.

7 if playing midfield.
If he kicks 2 goals on debut and takes one contested mark he's earnt his spot. That seems about the hope we had for McCartin.
Big test will be his defensive pressure.
His role will also be to give Bud and Reid clear air.
Looking forward to his game. Clarke too.

If he kicks 2 goals on debut and takes one contested mark he's earnt his spot. That seems about the hope we had for McCartin.
Big test will be his defensive pressure.
His role will also be to give Bud and Reid clear air.
Looking forward to his game. Clarke too.

IMO we should expect more of Blakey because we can afford to. McCartin was kind of our hope last year and we were willing him to be better than he probably was because we simply needed to be (and he did a great job still under his circumstances.) But we have Reid now, we will have Menzel and McCartin soon, we have a (presumably) fit Buddy now, and we have Ronke who is a worthy threat. We have the luxury of being able to say, good effort kid but back to the NEAFL for a while if it doesn't work out straight away. This sort of competition for spots is what we were lacking last year.

If he kicks 2 goals on debut and takes one contested mark he's earnt his spot.
If he kicks 2 goals a game he is in the top 12 tall forwards in the league, better than any season Sam Reid has ever had, better than Taylor Walker last year, on par with Jarryd Roughead.

I'll set my sights considerably lower and dream of a 1 goal average like Franklin had in his first year

If he kicks 2 goals a game he is in the top 12 tall forwards in the league, better than any season Sam Reid has ever had, better than Taylor Walker last year, on par with Jarryd Roughead.

I'll set my sights considerably lower and dream of a 1 goal average like Franklin had in his first year
So what you're saying is... that there's a chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back