Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I can't remember where I read this but when we threw Papley into the contest mid last year the Swans would win around 70% of clearances where Papley was involved. He didn't make the clearance himself but his drive and involvement was enough to get it out in our favour.

In saying that he's not doing that this year. I'd be much happier to just through him back down forward and pinch hitting in the middle

Last edited:
I can't remember where I read this but when we threw Papley into the contest mid last year the Swans would win around 70% of clearances where Papley was involved. He didn't make the clearance himself but his drive and involvement was enough to get it out in our favour.

In saying that he's not doing that this year. I'd be much happier to just through him back down forward and pinch hitting in the middle

Probably a swans site fluff piece with Kirk advocating versatility

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Citrus22

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Was very good in some critical moments last night, really think the midfield functions a lot more fluently with him running through there at times.

Amazing to think how much impact Tom has had without having done a full pre season. Who knows how he will go in the mids. I admit to concern his lack of size and his fearless approach might make him vulnerable to being ironed out.

It also raises the question of who will kick goals. I hope Honky Tonk and Haystack are set for big years.

While i see where people are coming from with his lack of size in the middle, i can see the advantage of having his pace, tackling pressure and crumbing ability around packs. He'll be really useful in there if the ball hits the deck.

Amazing to think how much impact Tom has had without having done a full pre season. Who knows how he will go in the mids. I admit to concern his lack of size and his fearless approach might make him vulnerable to being ironed out.

It also raises the question of who will kick goals. I hope Honky Tonk and Haystack are set for big years.
I was astounded when I read that too! Imagine this year... :D I can't wait!

I'm not worried about who will kick goals, because the answer is quite obviously everyone!!! :p;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made my feelings about the whole midfield move pretty clear before but can we talk about how impressive it is that this guy's a leader at our club now? From a rookie plumber who came literally out of nowhere, with a punchable face (sorry Paps) and s**t-stirring attitude, comes off like a smart-arse larrikin in interviews (the good kind). Now voted into the leadership group and embracing greater challenges in his game at just 22 years of age. Just goes to show you should never judge a book by it's cover! Bravo Tommy!

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Made my feelings about the whole midfield move pretty clear before but can we talk about how impressive it is that this guy's a leader at our club now? From a rookie plumber who came literally out of nowhere, with a punchable face (sorry Paps) and s**t-stirring attitude, comes off like a smart-arse larrikin in interviews (the good kind). Now voted into the leadership group and embracing greater challenges in his game at just 22 years of age. Just goes to show you should never judge a book by it's cover! Bravo Tommy!
Never underestimate a plumber. Carries on the fine tradition of great plumber players and captains at the club. Paul Kelly. And of course the great Bobby Skilton did a plumbing apprenticeship at South Melbourne Tech. Not sure whether he finished?

Last edited:
Paps fast become a favourite of mine... Reminds me of a past favourite of mine in the #13 super Schneider-man!

He shows the kind of heart & soul I love. It lifts the team. Clearly, that is the trait of a leader. I'm really looking forward to seeing him fit & firing this season. With Ronke and Hazy both with a season under the belt, Hanners moving on... Paps has so much opportunity to lift his game another level (despite me being perfectly happy with how he has been tracking thus far).

I think he could take home Bobby this year

On yesterday, he'd be a chance. He just needs some luck with his body. Paps plays as if he built like a 6'4'' 14 Stone brick scheizenhouse. Just want him to look after himself.

Bravery is in the DNA of all AFL players. Maybe it is because he is short and relatively light that his feats stand out so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back