What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caleb Daniel at full fitness and eyeing career-best year at Western Bulldogs
Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun
January 27, 2019 6:58pm

He might have wiped out in the surf on the Sunshine Coast on Saturday, but Western Bulldogs utility Caleb Daniel is confident he can make 2019 his best season yet in the AFL.

A 2016 premiership player, Daniel had post-season knee surgery last year but has returned to full fitness as he casts an eye to pre-season matches and Round 1.
RUCK ‘N’ ROLL: Dominant ruckman key to flag success
REUNITED: Caddy can’t wait to join forces with Lynch

The 22-year-old spent much of last season in a high half-forward role but played his best football in defence late in the year, averaging 30.3 disposals from his final four games and polling just the second Brownlow Medal vote of his 74-game career when he logged 40 disposals against North Melbourne in Round 21.
Speaking at the Bulldogs’ 10-day training camp in Mooloolaba, Daniel said he was not yet sure where he would play most of his football this year but wanted to be a versatile player.
f61d544171d0e9014fa1e5688338b31a
Caleb Daniel found form in defence late last season. Picture: Michael Klein
“I think that’s one of the things that Bevo (coach Luke Beveridge) really instils in you, to be a three-line player as much as you can,” Daniel said.
“It sort of depends where he wants me to play and where I’m playing my best football because last year up forward I probably wasn’t playing my best footy and I suppose the move down back towards the back end of the year sort of worked out for myself and the team.
“So I’m not too sure at the moment but I’m happy to play wherever.
“I’ve been in the AFL system for a few years now and I think you can only improve every year.
“I’ve had a little injury-interrupted pre-season this year, just a little bit of knee surgery in the back end of last year, but … to be fit going towards JLT, it’s really nice.”
d035153b6997cf273854e136e5b10859
Tim English tackles Mitch Wallis during the Western Bulldogs’ training camp in Mooloolaba.
Daniel said the club’s training camp, which runs until Friday, had simply been a continuation of the work players had already been doing in Melbourne.
“We’re still doing the stuff we did back home, back in Melbourne, but we just do it up here in the humidity and the heat and you spend 10 days with 40 of your mates so it’s always good,” he said.
However, there was time for a surf on Saturday, which went better for some players than others.
“There’s a couple that are half-decent surfers,” Daniel said.
“I went out yesterday but I’m no good so it was just a bit of fun.”

Who has said he’ll miss a majority of 2019? Thankfully he’s not on a mil a year anymore.

I never said anyone had said that. I was expressing my own opinion based on what I've read and seen in the media and reading between the lines.

I hope I'm wrong, but the signs are not good.

And if the bloke is just ambling around the field not doing much, like a lot of his games last season and 2017, do you really want him playing the majority of the season? Even if he's not on a million a year anymore?

I never said anyone had said that. I was expressing my own opinion based on what I've read and seen in the media and reading between the lines.

I hope I'm wrong, but the signs are not good.

And if the bloke is just ambling around the field not doing much, like a lot of his games last season and 2017, do you really want him playing the majority of the season? Even if he's not on a million a year anymore?

Unfortunately I’m still in the mindset of seeing him at his best live at the G, and therefore he’s still important to our senior team.

I heard Peter Gordon moaning on the radio about Nadal vs Djokovic, and wondering why anyone would want to watch those two again.

Then he goes on to say Serena Williams is the player he never wants to miss, and praise what an amazing "role model" she is.

I appreciate what this guy's done for the club, but goddamn he's an idiot.

I heard Peter Gordon moaning on the radio about Nadal vs Djokovic, and wondering why anyone would want to watch those two again.

Then he goes on to say Serena Williams is the player he never wants to miss, and praise what an amazing "role model" she is.

I appreciate what this guy's done for the club, but goddamn he's an idiot.
Is it possible he just meant why would anyone want to watch the same matchup once again? It's like saying someone is an idiot for not wanting to see Hawthorn vs Geelong grand final every single year, even though we know the game is going to be at a high skill level. Sometimes you just want some change

Is it possible he just meant why would anyone want to watch the same matchup once again? It's like saying someone is an idiot for not wanting to see Hawthorn vs Geelong grand final every single year, even though we know the game is going to be at a high skill level. Sometimes you just want some change

Yeah it's actually why the O&M League has been dropping off over the years, the fans are sick of Albury picking up all the best talent and keeping a stranglehold over the premiership since it's no longer interesting.

Maybe I am in a minority but if I have to see one more Fed/Rafa/Djoker final I will spew up!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be fine, except then he goes onto heap praise on Serena, who's been at the top for like twice as long, and is one of the most nasty, selfish & egotistical athletes in the world. Some role model...

Singles Tennis, by its very nature, requires that one is a selfish athlete to be successful.

Don’t see how she is nasty either.

Egotistical sure, but again, that’s tennis. She’s also a yank.

She’s had a long career, and there are also many examples of her being a gracious loser, winner, etc.

Again it’s the nature of tennis for things like this to come up. They have for all the top players except Joker really (plenty of examples of Fed and Nadal spitting the dummy)

Look at our two dickhead national products. Would they be as bad in another sport?

See how much worse Mundine became when he went to boxing.

Tennis brings all this out. Doesn’t make Serena less of a champion or advocate for the sport, or not someone worthy of admiration.

She’s had a long career, and there are also many examples of her being a gracious loser, winner, etc.

Again it’s the nature of tennis for things like this to come up. They have for all the top players except Joker really (plenty of examples of Fed and Nadal spitting the dummy)

Look at our two dickhead national products. Would they be as bad in another sport?

See how much worse Mundine became when he went to boxing.

Tennis brings all this out. Doesn’t make Serena less of a champion or advocate for the sport, or not someone worthy of admiration.
Agree to disagree.

Federer is worthy of admiration, for example. Williams is a nasty piece of work and will get no admiration from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back