Owning a horse

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Dont think dogs trainers are above dodgy practices

If your dog is quick you can't hide that.

My mate had shares in a horse, trainer told them it's never going to be much good and encouraged them to sell their shares and he had "someone" who'd be interested as they just wanted a plodder to watch.

They took the trainers advice and sold the shares, next thing the *er came out and won 3-4 in a row including in town.

They even went to the ombudsman to complain about dodgy practices but there was little they said they could do.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
If your dog is quick you can't hide that.

My mate had shares in a horse, trainer told them it's never going to be much good and encouraged them to sell their shares and he had "someone" who'd be interested as they just wanted a plodder to watch.

They took the trainers advice and sold the shares, next thing the ****** came out and won 3-4 in a row including in town.

They even went to the ombudsman to complain about dodgy practices but there was little they said they could do.
Was that with a "name" trainer?

We have put together a very small syndicate (5%) at work just before Christmas in one with Hayes.

The total outlay for each person in the syndicate was less than $1k

We qualify for the owners gold card which is also appealing.

My expectations are low. Id be happy with a couple of days out at the races with colleagues, having a few jars, and hope the thing runs a drum.
Owners Gold Card isn't as good as it used to be. Not as many privileges.

Browney2006

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Im seriously keen on going in and having a share on a greyhound. As someone else noted, you just feel a bit closer and apart of the action.

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
How farcical are we talking here? I've always been interested in how the big man operates.

He takes half the winnings, plus you pay your outlay and upkeep. It's a money pit.
Syndication-1-Newspaper-advert.jpg

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So $1000 gets you 1% of prizemoney of 3 dogs, because half goes to Spolly.

They'd need to win collectively $200,000 before you get ya grand back.

Or 242 x $825 races at Warragul.
you know what amazes me, is that none of these people who buy into a syndicate can do maths. I understand if you want to go in for the fun of it. but my god so many people get ripped off and don't even realise it

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I've had 2 experiences with horse ownership.

One was with a big name melb trainer and we went in a small % syndicate. The horse jumped out a couple times and then failed twice. After the second poor run, the word came through that they wanted to sell. Given you are such a small owner (maybe 2.5%) you really have no choice of where it goes or whether you actually do sell. The horse was then sold to a small country trainer, had one more start and was retired with some kind of issue.

As a result of being involved once, you then go onto a mailing list and you are getting emails maybe once a month offering new horses. Each horse has a little spruik from the trainer on why it is a good type etc ...

As all these emails were being stored over a 4-5 years, one day when i had some spare time at work, I started researching the history on each of the horses (about 30 odd) that had been offered via this trainer. Basically inserting a pedigree into google and going from there. Some were easier find than others, but I found most of them. I think of the 30 I found, not one was still with the Melbourne trainer. Maybe with a couple of small exceptions, all had been quickly moved on to other trainers, and most had never won a race.

One thing I noticed that the horses were seemingly being syndicated for a profit. I.e. Purchase price $90k. 10% for 10.5k - or something like that. There are obviously costs on top of the purchase price and I don't know how much they amount to. But it seemed to me that the business model was - find yearlings that are sired by 'name' stallions, try to find ones that go for cheaper prices, pop a % on top and syndicate to first timers and people who don't really know what they are doing and see 'Fastnet Rock' or 'Sebring' and just think ... lets have a go. As long as you can syndicate the horse, you can't lose.

I dunno whether it is a sinister thing or a con, it probably isnt, I dont know enough about the industry and costs to comment. The results of all the horses were damning though. The only thing it did teach me though was to beware of syndicates making profits on the sale.

My other experience was leasing a share in a horse. which was a waste of time, and we had to get out of that as the Trainer was completely useless.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Anyone have any recent horse share/owner stories?

Im keen to do it. For 5% share the web says allow approx $50-$100/week to cover everything (plus initial share)

Id like to do it not to make money (that would be a huge bonus) but more for the social part... even heading out to country tracks now n then

Im keen to do it. For 5% share the web says allow approx $50-$100/week to cover everything (plus initial share)

Id like to do it not to make money (that would be a huge bonus) but more for the social part... even heading out to country tracks now n then

That seems to be a fair amount for a 5% share when the horse is in training - cheaper when its in the paddock

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Great fun if you get a group of mates to go in with. At that level without any contacts you are throwing a dart blindfolded if you think you might get shown anything decent via most syndicators.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
try and do it with a trainer direct - rather than a syndicator.

have owned horses with trent busuttin and been a named owner in the racebooketc with a 2.5% share.

on that basis i would get a share in 2 horses for 2.5% rather than 1 for 5%

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Trainer should be $60-$150 a day for 100% depending how high end you go in work the latter is metro++. Give it a go, get in some multiple horses in smaller shares in different places. Premium spelling places probably max out at $50 a day after costs to sit in a paddock. Going direct to trainers will almost halve your costs in purchase/fees. Don't be too worried about ringing around, they want you more than you want them.

I have shares in a couple with Grand Syndicates - they aim to buy cheap horses and syndicate 5% shares for $1000 or $2000
ongoing costs are a set fee at $7 per day, so $50 per week - the only extra costs are for interstate transport or Group race entry fees.
I have had one horse that needed a throat op and all those costs were included in the set fee.

from what I have seen around the fees are a bit less than the big city trainers; going directly with provincial and country trainers would be cheaper.

They have a pretty good record with finding cheap winners and use trainers in QLD, NSW, VIC and SA. Their communication is pretty good with regular updates on your horses.

from my point of view - their job is to find value horses at the sales - my job is to pick the eyes out of what they find.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have shares in a couple with Grand Syndicates - they aim to buy cheap horses and syndicate 5% shares for $1000 or $2000
ongoing costs are a set fee at $7 per day, so $50 per week - the only extra costs are for interstate transport or Group race entry fees.
I have had one horse that needed a throat op and all those costs were included in the set fee.

from what I have seen around the fees are a bit less than the big city trainers; going directly with provincial and country trainers would be cheaper.

They have a pretty good record with finding cheap winners and use trainers in QLD, NSW, VIC and SA. Their communication is pretty good with regular updates on your horses.

from my point of view - their job is to find value horses at the sales - my job is to pick the eyes out of what they find.

That’s fairly reasonable fee structure without being cheap. the main thing you want with syndicator if you go that way is better communication. Some trainers can fall behind but syndicators one job is to make it the most enjoyable.

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers

I’m currently in a couple at 5% each. Just looked at some of my recent bills. For one horse in the paddock I paid $40 for the month. The other in work was $120 for the month for the training and another $50 odd for medications, treatments, shoeing etc. Obviously it varies by trainer but I’d recommend avoiding the big city trainers and the real hack unknown trainers and going with a trainer that has maybe 30 odd max in work at any one time and also has a decent record and reputation. This way you can form a relationship with them.

Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh geez. I dont know any trainers and Id be going in by myself.

Looks like its a dart session when I eventually give it a crack
If you’re based in WA, Impressive Racing and Darren McAuliffe are definitely worth considering. I’ve had shares in horses with them and while the horses haven’t been successful I’ve been very impressed with professionalism of the operation. I’ve just picked the wrong horses from the many on offer by them.

I’ve had shares in horses in several stables and I can confirm that Impressive Racing are cheap by Perth standards. They breed most of their own stock and always have a few very good horses around (e.g. the late Gatting, The Velvet King, Clairvoyance).

Also impressed with Adam Trinder in Tassie. Reasonable fees and astute horseman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back