Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
So the Dees supporter in me is trying to come through and look forward to the possibilities a rebuild can bring. There's so many different scenarios!

I must admit, the Lakers option makes little sense to me from either Davis or New Orleans perspectives. Davis is leaving to play for titles. The Lakers haven't been a contender since they won in 2010 and haven't even made playoffs since '13. And to get AD they have to gut an already thin roster where he would team up with an aging LeBron coming back from the longest injury layoff in his career (which if it was a busted finger wouldn't be an issue but a lengthy soft tissue injury for an older player should raise concerns). And on top of that he has to compete in the crazy western conference.

And for the Pelicans, I'm not sure the young players LA have are particularly enticing, their picks are not terribly interesting and they'd be trading him into the same western conference. Boston or Philly - maybe even Milwaukee or Toronto - all tick more boxes for both Davis and New Orleans.

Was disappointed to see we're shopping Mirotic though I understand he's our most tradable player outside AD and Jrue. Just would've liked to see the team built around he and Holiday.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
So the Dees supporter in me is trying to come through and look forward to the possibilities a rebuild can bring. There's so many different scenarios!

I must admit, the Lakers option makes little sense to me from either Davis or New Orleans perspectives. Davis is leaving to play for titles. The Lakers haven't been a contender since they won in 2010 and haven't even made playoffs since '13. And to get AD they have to gut an already thin roster where he would team up with an aging LeBron coming back from the longest injury layoff in his career (which if it was a busted finger wouldn't be an issue but a lengthy soft tissue injury for an older player should raise concerns). And on top of that he has to compete in the crazy western conference.

And for the Pelicans, I'm not sure the young players LA have are particularly enticing, their picks are not terribly interesting and they'd be trading him into the same western conference. Boston or Philly - maybe even Milwaukee or Toronto - all tick more boxes for both Davis and New Orleans.

Was disappointed to see we're shopping Mirotic though I understand he's our most tradable player outside AD and Jrue. Just would've liked to see the team built around he and Holiday.

If and when Jrue gets traded I will be truly sad.

It hasn't really been mentioned in the lackadaisical press coverage, but there are like 15 teams who should be scrambling over themselves in order to land him. I thought Conley would be a good fit for Utah, but Jrue would be even better because he's younger and cheaper. Toronto would love him.

Wherever he ends up, I shall root for him. Except if he goes back to LA, and the Lakers. F the Lakers.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I would love Jrue in Utah. What do you think would be a fair return from us?

It's really hard to say, because we don't know quite what we're going to get for AD - I imagine that trade would be done first.

From a rebuild POV I imagine Exum, O'Neale and picks make the most sense as a starting point. One year of Derrick Favors to balance the salaries would also probably be necessary, although a Rubio sign & trade would be an alternative. Whether either of the latter two would make any sense at all would depend on what kind of players we get in return for Davis. If we plan to full rebuild around picks then even Rubio and Favors might be too old for us, although we could on-trade them.

It'd probably be easier for you to get Conley (I imagine Favors, Rubio and a pick would be a competitive offer), but also more risky due to age, salary, etc.

The other factor for you guys would be opportunity cost. I could also see you guys saving your pennies for someone like Tobias Harris, and although you'd probably overpay he would fill the only other hole on your team. But Jrue would be incredible, teams would struggle to score 90 against you guys.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
If and when Jrue gets traded I will be truly sad.

It hasn't really been mentioned in the lackadaisical press coverage, but there are like 15 teams who should be scrambling over themselves in order to land him. I thought Conley would be a good fit for Utah, but Jrue would be even better because he's younger and cheaper. Toronto would love him.

Wherever he ends up, I shall root for him. Except if he goes back to LA, and the Lakers. F the Lakers.

Davis has been our best player but Jrue has always been my favourite player and I'll continue to love and defend him til the death. Unless he goes to the Lakers...

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Davis has been our best player but Jrue has always been my favourite player and I'll continue to love and defend him til the death. Unless he goes to the Lakers...

Locked Harden up tight today, eh? And people still don't think he's an All-star.

#nohelp

KingNothing

All Australian
Sep 23, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It's really hard to say, because we don't know quite what we're going to get for AD - I imagine that trade would be done first.

From a rebuild POV I imagine Exum, O'Neale and picks make the most sense as a starting point. One year of Derrick Favors to balance the salaries would also probably be necessary, although a Rubio sign & trade would be an alternative. Whether either of the latter two would make any sense at all would depend on what kind of players we get in return for Davis. If we plan to full rebuild around picks then even Rubio and Favors might be too old for us, although we could on-trade them.

It'd probably be easier for you to get Conley (I imagine Favors, Rubio and a pick would be a competitive offer), but also more risky due to age, salary, etc.

The other factor for you guys would be opportunity cost. I could also see you guys saving your pennies for someone like Tobias Harris, and although you'd probably overpay he would fill the only other hole on your team. But Jrue would be incredible, teams would struggle to score 90 against you guys.
If you could guarantee Conley would be injury free for the next two years Id be very interested, but his age, injury history and price tag are just a little too risky for my liking.

If there was a way that Rubio sign & trade + Grayson Allen + Picks would get it done Id love that, but id potentially be happy to include Oneale, Exum or Favs in that order (would prefer to not lose Favs). Really does depend if your primary interest lies in players or picks though.

Also, you guys should look at Mirotic too, whether by trade or as a FA.

We were big into him last year before you swooped on him. I would rather him than Otto Porter

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If you could guarantee Conley would be injury free for the next two years Id be very interested, but his age, injury history and price tag are just a little too risky for my liking.

If there was a way that Rubio sign & trade + Grayson Allen + Picks would get it done Id love that, but id potentially be happy to include Oneale, Exum or Favs in that order (would prefer to not lose Favs). Really does depend if your primary interest lies in players or picks though.

Haha, I think the 673 remaining Pels fans would riot if Grayson Allen was part of our reward ;)

Favors is nice, but I reckon you're at a point where you can afford to trade him for help at guard or a stretch four. Speaking of which...

We were big into him last year before you swooped on him. I would rather him than Otto Porter

Mirotic would fit your team like a glove. I'm loathe to lose him, but apparently we're having a fire sale.

If no team offered us picks for him by the trade deadline, if I were Dennis Lindsay I'd even contemplate doing a Favors for Mirotic trade straight up. If you have a chance to get a quality guard though, I'd save Favors for that trade.

It'll leave you short of backup for Gobert, but you could always target someone like Dedmon to fill in next season.

Can't blame Davis for seeking more playing time, going to be tough for him to get minutes behind Jah.

Touche!

O/T, I seriously hope both the Nuggets and the Jazz more or less keep their cores intact. Don't want to be reading about Jokic to the Knicks or Mitchell to the Dubs three years from now. You're both way better at drafting than us, so that should help keep the wolves from the door.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
First page. :'(

Hahaha, yes indeedy.

Slightly different circumstances though, we could have kept Zo. AD on the other hand... I dunno.

Look, I have seen a lot of s**t thrown around in the US media about us being "s**t supporters" "we deserve this"
We have hated Baron Davis since 05. That's ******* loyalty

The US media wouldn't know jack about our team.

During Davis's tenure here, we've made good trades (Jrue, Mirotic, Rolo) middling/unlucky trades (Boogie, Quincy) and bad trades (Asik, maybe Tyreke).

We've made decent contract decisions (Jrue, maybe Ryno, not re-signing Ryno), middling ones (not paying EG a second time, Rondo, Randle, not giving Boogie a max post Achilles) and bad contract decisions (Omer, Ajinca, Solomon, Galloway).

Our drafting has basically been non-existent, so I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly better drafting would have given us better depth, but at the same time we shipped five first round picks out for Jrue, Boogie and Mirotic - and none of those were bad moves in a vacuum.

We've made questionable coaching decisions. We've made questionable FO decisions. At the same time we've spent plenty in a genuine attempt to build around AD.

And of course we've had a s**t tonne of injuries, the real back-breaker being Boogie's which royally screwed us.

So, it's been a mixed bag. But how many pundits or writers have broken our last six or seven years down like I just did? Few, if any. Mostly because a lot of them probably couldn't remember 80% of the moves we've made or the players we've had through.

KingNothing

All Australian
Sep 23, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Haha, I think the 673 remaining Pels fans would riot if Grayson Allen was part of our reward ;)

Favors is nice, but I reckon you're at a point where you can afford to trade him for help at guard or a stretch four. Speaking of which...

Mirotic would fit your team like a glove. I'm loathe to lose him, but apparently we're having a fire sale.

If no team offered us picks for him by the trade deadline, if I were Dennis Lindsay I'd even contemplate doing a Favors for Mirotic trade straight up. If you have a chance to get a quality guard though, I'd save Favors for that trade.

It'll leave you short of backup for Gobert, but you could always target someone like Dedmon to fill in next season.

In light of the Bulls interest in Rubio, that couls give us better assets to make a trade with you.

Bulls get: Rubio, Allen
Jazz get: Future 1st

Jazz get: Holiday, Mirotic
Pels get: Jazz 1st, Bulls future 1st, Exum, Favors.

I think we have a trade exception to help balance salaries.

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
A few questions Ive been pondering.

IF injuries didn't harm our start to the season does Davis not make the move? Or was Signing for Rich Paul a forgone conclusion.
It would be much harder to ask for a trade sitting at maybe the 4 through 7 seed.

The front office is gone yeah? We can't let Dell make this trade, or ******* Loomis to sign off on it.

I've been hearing the rumours of the team moving etc for years now.
Even though Gayle 100% owns the team, I legitimately think her selling it is on the table.

If the team moves.... Do you support a Seattle team?

I can't, I will just be a basketball nomad.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
A few questions Ive been pondering.

IF injuries didn't harm our start to the season does Davis not make the move? Or was Signing for Rich Paul a forgone conclusion.
It would be much harder to ask for a trade sitting at maybe the 4 through 7 seed.

I think the writing was on the wall.

The whole dynamic of Boogie getting injured/Boogie fleeing to the Dubs/Rondo signs with the Lakers (WTF?)/AD switches management was all interrelated. One of the big selling points of trading for Boogie was that he and AD were supposed to be tight. The whole off-season had a bad smell to it.

The front office is gone yeah? We can't let Dell make this trade, or ******* Loomis to sign off on it.

I'm hoping for change.

Demps is not the worst GM in basketball history, despite what some say. But he quite obviously has NO confidence in his ability to draft, and that's a handicap that a franchise like ours cannot afford. And the less said about the nebulous structure above him, the better.

I've been hearing the rumours of the team moving etc for years now.
Even though Gayle 100% owns the team, I legitimately think her selling it is on the table.

It's possible, but IMO it would take an arena issue to make it happen

The reason that the Kings to Seattle was not allowed to happen was that Sacramento played the NBA's public-investment-in-arenas game. The Maloofs were not allowed to sell to an out-of-towner because the city had played ball.

Benson selling the team to Seattle would be a hard concept to sell, both within and without New Orleans. An arena issue though? That'd be an easier sell.

Either that or consistent crowds of < 5,000.

I can't, I will just be a basketball nomad.

Nope.

Was willing to follow the Hornets from Charlotte to New Orleans. Was even willing to accept the rebrand, even though I found the new colour scheme bland beyond belief.

But if they become the Sonics, then there's nothing left of the original. I doubt the history would even be recognised, it'd just be Sonics 1967-2008, 2022-?

I'd either pick a new small market team, or just become a small-market generalist.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
In light of the Bulls interest in Rubio, that couls give us better assets to make a trade with you.

Bulls get: Rubio, Allen
Jazz get: Future 1st

Jazz get: Holiday, Mirotic
Pels get: Jazz 1st, Bulls future 1st, Exum, Favors.

I think we have a trade exception to help balance salaries.

IMO the any Mirotic trade will be done separately to Jrue because of the contract timelines.

Mirotic we'd have to trade in the next month, because he's out of contract. Jrue on the other hand has 3 1/2 years left, so not only do we have time to work on any potential deal there, but as I said it would almost 100% happen AFTER the Davis trade.

The chances of us trading Davis by the Feb deadline don't seem to be that high (could be wrong though). As such the chances that Jrue gets traded before June/July are really slim.

If we're dealing in picks, we'd also need to figure whether Demps is going to still be GM too. To say he's draft adverse is an understatement.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Yeah, questions I've been mulling over too.

For you guys who see and know a lot more than I do, has he looked as invested this year? I know his stats are up in so many categories but I've not had the same feeling that he was the alpha trying to lead the team like he did through the back end and into the playoffs last year. Maybe he didn't believe in the organisation any more after Boogie wasn't retained.

I want to see the back of Gentry the most. His New Orleans tenure has really been just a repeat of every other coaching gig he's had.
Demps I'm somewhat ambivalent towards. Was thrown in at the deep end with the CP3 and ownership challenges and then had to build a team for 'win now' rather than build around Davis through the draft because the new owner was short on living time. So in some ways I'm curious to see what he could build if given the chance to build the team "properly".
On the flip side, to last 9 years with such little success is a pretty charmed run so I wouldn't she'd too many tears if he was moved on.

Not automatically. I didn't think I'd support New Orleans when we became Pelicans and the Charlotte Hornets* returned. But I was so invested in the players that I couldn't leave. Maybe that would be the same in the team were relocated elsewhere. Otherwise, past contemplations have vaguely led me toward Atlanta and Memphis. Ultimately I'd probably just let a season start and see who I was drawn to.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
So it's agreed. If the team moves we all support Sacramento.

Buddy Buckets!

The amount of trades we've done with them and shared player history... plus the dysfunction and memes... hell, it'd practically be like supporting the Pels.

1549024247240.png
1549024483408.png

1549024584417.png
1549024679449.png

1549024754373.png
1549024817697.png

1549024877225.png
1549024930384.png

1549024998522.png
1549025240362.png

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
I commented on a tweet yesterday about Arinze Onawaku.

TOP 5 FUN NAMES TO CHEER (I count Charlotte)

Back