Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't think one can really compare Lynch/May situation with draftees one. Lynch went through s**t for 7 years, every year told that Suns will rise. Lynch and May body language was terrible the last year. They should never be captains but that's another story. Suns really did not lose any draftees except Caddy. Young players seem to buy into Dew's system. Even last year, Ballard and Powell extended happily.

Suns just need to show improvement and go home factor will be gone. Quite opposite, GC will be attractive place for many players once we start winning. Regular schedule, new coaches and Cordy (big hope) should make a difference. Richmond played 5 away games and won only one (against Suns). I would love to see how they would go playing 9 away games in a row. Or look at Port after China game last year. No wonder they moved China game to round 11 this year despite risking playing in 30+ degrees.

My only worry is it takes time to integrate so many new players. But then I expect only 3-5 new players play round 1 (Rankine, Lukosius, Miles, Hombsh, Murdoch).

Another issue is age but again my best 35 list average age is still not bad - 23yr 10mth.

Go Suns.
Don’t get me wrong - I actually think we’ll finish 12th this year - just over media reports that talk about how much they love it up here, then leave. Actions speak louder than words - sign em up.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m enjoying all the positive media stories recently. These quotes from Izak are fantastic. Did you see the pressure the South Australians are putting on him via his Instagram? Yet he still sounds very positive about his experience as a Sun.
Have a look at his comments on AFL.com today..have to give you guys confidence he will stay on at your club

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Have a look at his comments on AFL.com today..have to give you guys confidence he will stay on at your club
Ultimately we need results too. Caddy's the only one who has left without re-signing or extending his first contract straight after being drafted.
I still think Lynch, May, Prestia and even Ablett would still be here if we had success.

Ultimately we need results too. Caddy's the only one who has left without re-signing or extending his first contract straight after being drafted.
I still think Lynch, May, Prestia and even Ablett would still be here if we had success.
Yeah, I believe that was mentioned re: Lynch. He loved the club, but he wanted more success on field. I think this applies to May too. He even hangs out with his old teamates when he is GC (May)
Wasn't the reason Ablett left was because his sister was dying?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It certainly helps having on field success that's for sure but Rankine is saying all the right things and he didn't have to say what he said so maybe he is genuinely happy with how things are going. I won't pretend I don't want him to come back to Adelaide to the crows as soon as possible and if there is any chance it can happen it would be great for us. But it seems that might be less likely than what we in SA were thinking now that Rankine has got to GC and had time to bond with the team. I suppose time will tell but for you guys it looks quite positive he won't be jumping ship anytime soon

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Yeah, I believe that was mentioned re: Lynch. He loved the club, but he wanted more success on field. I think this applies to May too. He even hangs out with his old teamates when he is GC (May)
Wasn't the reason Ablett left was because his sister was dying?
She passed away suddenly and that wasn't the reason. It was to be closer to his family in general.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Oh ok. I do remember his sister passing but he did went to be closer to her and family.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the Footy Show in an interview with Billy Brownless he smugly trolled every GC Sun Fan and Player by saying “The reason I came back to Geelong was to play Finals Footy”.
In that one sentence we discovered the true character of That Cat.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
On the Footy Show in an interview with Billy Brownless he smugly trolled every GC Sun Fan and Player by saying “The reason I came back to Geelong was to play Finals Footy”.
In that one sentence we discovered the true character of That Cat.
Correct.

" It is all about playing finals"

So to watch teary Ablett after finals loss was pretty satisfying.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Don’t mean to sound defeatist, and I love rankine as much as any, but this is the same crap that Lynch was spouting at the start of last year:

“I love the Gold Coast”
“I love the surf”
“The team is on the right track”
“I love the anonymity”
“I just want to see progress and I’ll sign”

And in 2 years he’s the first one to blame “missing mummy” for the reason he’s signing a million $$ contract.

When Izak puts pen to paper and extends his contract I’ll believe it - until then this is just interview BS
I hear you but, As Captain Uncle Tom was expected to say that, Rankine didn’t have to say anything, it’s a positive sign

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Great article. Love the positivity from him. And how it’s not what the club appears from the outside

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was a little shocked that we are viewed so poorly from within footy circles though. I expect the negative external opinions and thoughts with the media taking pot shots every 5 minutes, but certainly not the internal ones.
It's quite significant the comments from Rankine and to a lesser extent with Murdoch when he said he'd almost committed to St Kilda before touring our facilities and meeting the players and staff. We are doing something right it seems.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I was a little shocked that we are viewed so poorly from within footy circles though. I expect the negative external opinions and thoughts with the media taking pot shots every 5 minutes, but certainly not the internal ones.
It's quite significant the comments from Rankine and to a lesser extent with Murdoch when he said he'd almost committed to St Kilda before touring our facilities and meeting the players and staff. We are doing something right it seems.
Really!

Most players outside of QLD only news about the northern clubs comes from the southern media.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Really!

Most players outside of QLD only news about the northern clubs comes from the southern media.
...or from other clubs trying to woo the players to their own organisation. It would be interesting to know when the King twins compare their experiences, which club they’d rather be at.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Really!

Maybe I'm naive.
I would maybe expect a young gun's manager to say to him something like "Don't listen to the BS being said about the Suns. I've toured the facilities, met the staff, coach and it's exciting what's happening up there"..... just like Izak is now saying after spending 6 weeks here.
Anyway the main thing is that he's thriving up there and loving every minute of the club.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Maybe I'm naive.
I would maybe expect a young gun's manager to say to him something like "Don't listen to the BS being said about the Suns. I've toured the facilities, met the staff, coach and it's exciting what's happening up there"..... just like Izak is now saying after spending 6 weeks here.
Anyway the main thing is that he's thriving up there and loving every minute of the club.

Do managers get a cut of organising appearances on media shows? They'd have incentive to get them to stay in the bigger markets then.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Drunk DMed the legend after I saw his dancing video at the beach day
Screenshot_20190223-080157.jpeg

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Izzy Rankine? Yes he is! (free of charge to any commentator that wants to use that one)

Watching this man live was truly a pleasure. A lot of us were watching in awe with some of the things he did on the Metricon deck today, in particular a spinning manoeuvre which left two Brisbane defenders for dead. I'm very excited about his future based on what I saw today!

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
His spacial awareness and elusiveness in heavy traffic was just as good at the level against AFL opposition today as it was in his underage year. He not only has more time when he has the ball, he’s also two steps ahead of his opponents. Quite delightful to watch.

Back