Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I doing it right? #10YearsChallenge

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/01/2009-vs-2019-football-kits-of-20-teams.html

0-1.jpg
Just highlights how much better kits were 10 years ago (in general, there's a couple of exceptions on this list).

How often do throwbacks, explicit ones, actually ever resonate?

It's going to be better than anything Puma produced but these retro strips feel a bit too obvious but they always lack the character of the original. Look at the Germany shirt from the last World Cup... you change how it sits, you add these glitzy patches and stickers everywhere, you tone down the colours, and though it's a cool shirt it really isn't as great as you expect.

The lack of the OG fit, the disregard for important details like collars and blocky numbers, things like that.

I get it's the trend of the time and that's cool, it could be worse, but it just seems like you're giving up a little bit.

Feels a bit like this photo the website put up...
arsenal-19-20-away-kit-8.jpg

Same template Australia had for their throwback WC kit.
Australia's didn't have the raglan cut, but apart from that, it is near-identical. Nice to see that Nike are now open to having different collars on the vapor template though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least now we can turn the tables and flood all the soccer jersey websites with comments like "What is this? 2014? Australia wants their jersey back" or some s**t.

The new Western Melbourne A-League shortlisted names will be unveiled on Sunday for a public vote through the Herald Sun website.

The following names appear to be the shortlisted names as they have been trademarked by the FFA
Western Melbourne Athletic FC, Western Athletic, Western Melbourne Warriors FC, Westside Pride FC, Western United FC.

I think they will go with Westside Pride following names like Heart, Roar, and Fury however I do like Western Athletic. Western United sounds too generic for my liking same with Western Melbourne Warriors.

The new Western Melbourne A-League shortlisted names will be unveiled on Sunday for a public vote through the Herald Sun website.

The following names appear to be the shortlisted names as they have been trademarked by the FFA
Western Melbourne Athletic FC, Western Athletic, Western Melbourne Warriors FC, Westside Pride FC, Western United FC.

I think they will go with Westside Pride following names like Heart, Roar, and Fury however I do like Western Athletic. Western United sounds too generic for my liking same with Western Melbourne Warriors.
I reckon they've picked Western Athletic.

Voting is now open:
Western United, Western Melbourne Athletic, Westside Pride and Western Melbourne Warriors are all the options you can vote for including your own suggestion.

Colours to vote for are: Red, Black, Green, White

Voting is now open:
Western United, Western Melbourne Athletic, Westside Pride and Western Melbourne Warriors are all the options you can vote for including your own suggestion.

Colours to vote for are: Red, Black, Green, White
Needs more blue

Westside Pride is peak Aussie Soccer. Genuinely has to be the worst name in the game's history here. It sounds like a shambly far-right group that predominantly just posts about maybe doing something on facebook.

I think the perfect soccer names in non-soccer countries borrow properly from the region and its history. Sporting Adelaide would be crappy but Sporting Melbourne actually works with all its 'we own sport' rhetoric. I hate pointless terms like City and United, they serve no purpose. How is Adelaide united? City is a big thing in English soccer because being a city is something rare – it's not just a term you get when you tick over a certain population, it's historically something allowed, permitted, or storied onto you by the Queen or King. Here, *in Bundaberg's a city.

Novacastrians would've been great for Newcastle, or something like 'the Artillery.'

If they got a team, Dandenong Rangers is too good to pass up. Blue, white, and green. Have a park ranger with a peak in the background as your logo. Go a bit Columbus Crew there.

Also I know it isn't actually Adelaide but the Barossa is close by and Australia's most famed wine region... would have been cool if Adelaide wore 'wine red.' 'The wine reds' is a pretty cool nickname.

The annexing of old ethnic names really ****ed up the possibilities for genuinely good names. Sydney Olympic is so good. It's not even that Greek sounding, but to brag you've hosted an olympics... There was a Dutch club in Perth called Morley Windmills which I always thought was such a cool, subtle nod to the heritage. I love the generic names like Tricalore, Cross, Thistle, Caledonian. It was like a soccer version of Railways, Rovers.

Westside Pride is peak Aussie Soccer. Genuinely has to be the worst name in the game's history here. It sounds like a shambly far-right group that predominantly just posts about maybe doing something on facebook.

I think the perfect soccer names in non-soccer countries borrow properly from the region and its history. Sporting Adelaide would be crappy but Sporting Melbourne actually works with all its 'we own sport' rhetoric. I hate pointless terms like City and United, they serve no purpose. How is Adelaide united? City is a big thing in English soccer because being a city is something rare – it's not just a term you get when you tick over a certain population, it's historically something allowed, permitted, or storied onto you by the Queen or King. Here, ****in Bundaberg's a city.

Novacastrians would've been great for Newcastle, or something like 'the Artillery.'

If they got a team, Dandenong Rangers is too good to pass up. Blue, white, and green. Have a park ranger with a peak in the background as your logo. Go a bit Columbus Crew there.

Also I know it isn't actually Adelaide but the Barossa is close by and Australia's most famed wine region... would have been cool if Adelaide wore 'wine red.' 'The wine reds' is a pretty cool nickname.

The annexing of old ethnic names really ****** up the possibilities for genuinely good names. Sydney Olympic is so good. It's not even that Greek sounding, but to brag you've hosted an olympics... There was a Dutch club in Perth called Morley Windmills which I always thought was such a cool, subtle nod to the heritage. I love the generic names like Tricalore, Cross, Thistle, Caledonian. It was like a soccer version of Railways, Rovers.

Agree with the majority of this. The use of the terms United, City, Rovers, Wanderers are traditionally used to refer to something specific in the clubs or locations history. United teams are traditionally merged entities, thus uniting the location (a reason I like the Macarthur South West Sydney team to use the name as they are uniting multiple federations into a single team). City is for locations that actually reach city status, but doesn't really work in Australia as the majority of the locations out teams would be based are cities. Rovers and Wanderers are for teams that have never had a home ground, Western Sydney Wanderers are ok in this I think as they took the name of a former team and they do represent a large area and have been made to wander in recent times due to the redevelopment of Parramatta Stadium.

It is hard in Australia to find good traditional names for football clubs, mostly because people associate teams here with having nicknames (due to every other sport doing this), plus the want to move away from ethnic based clubs (which I am ok with).

The biggest issue though is this wanting to use a direction in team names. Next year there are going to be two clubs with Western in their name and a possible 3rd the year after. Seriously, there has to be some other options for clubs to use that is not direction based, that is why I really hope the Macarthur South West Sydney team just go with the Macarthur name, but as they are going to conduct fan forums in the Campbelltown, Liverpool and Bankstown areas this may become less likely as more of the areas being consulted is not part of the Macarthur region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back