Society/Culture Gillette suggests most of its customers are sexist, predatory, bullies. Good idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

While in some cultures large women are more sought after as mates.

To take it to an obvious tangent -

The idea that evolutionary biology is the sole path for “natural” human behaviour is silly and unscientific.

It ignores cultural transmission as a strong force in behaviour change.

Entertaining podcast:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00026xq

An argument that calls bullying the only natural dominant behaviour is ignoring myriad observed behaviours and cultures which are examples to the contrary.

And the complaints from biological dominance hangers on that they are being bullied by PC culture are pretty funny.
The people who lived in Europe for thousands of years were apparently a relatively peaceful, even matriarchal society. Then about 5000 years ago the steppe nomads from whom we are all descended swept in on their horse drawn chariots, killed all the men and raped all the women.

The most feminist societies today have below replacement fertility levels, whereas patriarchal ones are highly fecund.

Over the long term, patriarchy always wins.

It was only a bit over 2 years ago........................

Child labor at Indonesian palm plantations supplying global companies: Amnesty
Published Tue, Nov 29 2016 • 10:19 PM EST

Global consumer companies, including ............... Procter & Gamble, have sourced palm oil from Indonesian plantations where labor abuses were uncovered, Amnesty International said on Wednesday.

Children as young as eight worked in “hazardous” conditions at palm plantations run by Singapore-based Wilmar International and its suppliers on the Indonesian islands of Kalimantan and Sumatra, Amnesty said in a report.

Amnesty, which said it interviewed 120 workers, alleges that many of them worked long hours for low pay and without adequate safety equipment. The palm oil from these plantations could be traced to nine multinational companies, it said. “Despite promising customers that there will be no exploitation in their palm oil supply chains, big brands continue to profit from appalling abuses,” said Meghna Abraham, senior investigator at Amnesty.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/29/chi...tions-supplying-global-companies-amnesty.html

The dad bod is a security blanket. He makes you look slimmer by comparison, he is warm and soft to lay on, he enjoys a night out and a night in. The dad bod is a guy who says yes to food and drink when you want someone to validate your decision to do that. That's the attraction.

Totally ripped guys are great, I've been with a couple at their peak of athletic ability and aside from niggles/injuries they are overflowing with strength, confidence and it is a highly sexually charged environment. They also have every other girl looking at them and you're not there all the time. He is obsessive with his body and his work, you feel pressured to be in elite shape too but he doesn't say it out loud.

The ideal is the man in the dad bod in the ripped body. I prefer being the sexier one in the relationship, but I like him wanting me slightly more than I want him.

I'd rather have sex with the fit buff guy. I'd rather he had the attitude of the dad bod, but that attitude will lead to a dad bod anyway.

I think guys should run, gym, get fit and strong. I'd prefer that.

Do these mythical creatures exist? If they did I'd imagine they'd be rare!

It is.

The expectation is still on men to change though. The expectation is never on women to not have sexual relations with douchbags.

Well if I could broaden the discussion a little, throughout human history it has by and large been expected of men to "take the lead".

And I don't need to tell you this but I doubt "men" will "take the lead" in deliberately attempting to diminish their masculinity. Yes we may see a small rebellion led by extreme feminism and self hating beta males but it will be finite and shortlived (like right now)

Do these mythical creatures exist? If they did I'd imagine they'd be rare!
I think once you get past 25 the guys are either fit because they are obsessive (not so great for you), a professional athlete (not so good for you), self medicating with exercise (not so good for you), playing a lot of park sport (not so bad), or taking themselves a bit seriously (which is fine).

People settle into their routines and their body ends up showing it off.

Drink a lot, smoke, drugs, food - they'll all get you eventually.

I think once you get past 25 the guys are either fit because they are obsessive (not so great for you), a professional athlete (not so good for you), self medicating with exercise (not so good for you), playing a lot of park sport (not so bad), or taking themselves a bit seriously (which is fine).

People settle into their routines and their body ends up showing it off.

Drink a lot, smoke, drugs, food - they'll all get you eventually.

I myself nearly 50 still weight train, ride dirt bikes (great cardio) and all that is probably out of routine or enjoyment rather trying to better the "competition". But I still drink and smoke and I know this is not uncommon (to combine healthy and non healthy practices).

What would Gillette think of me then? Cause I really respect their opinion now:rolleyes:

I myself nearly 50 still weight train, ride dirt bikes (great cardio) and all that is probably out of routine or enjoyment rather trying to better the "competition". But I still drink and smoke and I know this is not uncommon (to combine healthy and non healthy practices).

What would Gillette think of me then? Cause I really respect their opinion now:rolleyes:

The ciggies wipe out all the exercise gains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is lifestyle magazine level type bullshit.

An alpha male is a confident, dominant male, and muscles are not required.

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines it as:

View attachment 613887

The Cambridge Dictionary defines it as:

View attachment 613888

It is a biological term, referring to dominant males. Humans consist of males, and some of them are dominant. The discussion ends there.
Exactly snake thanks for taking the time to enlighten the definition of an Alpha. No idea how body building got caught up with alpha.
Alphas are not insecure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Exactly snake thanks for taking the time to enlighten the definition of an Alpha. No idea how body building got caught up with alpha.
Alphas are not insecure.

You are bang on the money mate.

Last edited:
Body building has insecure guys but I wouldn't say that a body builder was insecure, but if that helps you feel better about you then that's fine :)

bodybuilder vs alpha male

I find it funny that many men who slam "snowflakes" for being wussies are going full snowflake because of this ad.
If this ad is the lone reason that stops you buying gillette how much of a snowflake can you be honestly?

Anyway I wouldnt say most men, but a fair bloody chunk of us are pretty vile and often look at women as emotionally less stable which I think is completely untrue, i think their is a much larger percentage of men who are emotionally and mentally unstable than there are women.
I mean at the end of the day 50% of the world population probably create 80% of the worlds problems.

I find it funny that many men who slam "snowflakes" for being wussies are going full snowflake because of this ad.

That's because it isn't just "because of this ad", but due to the ongoing irrational attack on males.

If you were a rational male then you would understand this.

That's because it isn't just "because of this ad", but due to the ongoing irrational attack on males.

If you were a rational male then you would understand this.
for every irrational attack on males in the US media, there are usually multiple attacks for each of; feminists, immigrants, countless racial groups, countless religious groups and so on

The whole "its a scary time to be a man" thing is laughable I think.
Its a much scarier time to be woman walking alone.

For the record I found the ad kind of lame, but at no point did I take offence to it or felt like it was stereotyping me, and it sure as hell wont impact on me buying gillette products.

Last edited:
for every irrational attack on males in the US media, there are usually multiple attacks for each of; feminists, immigrants, countless racial groups, countless religious groups and so on.

Bullshit.

The whole "its a scary time to be a man" thing is laughable I think.
Its a much scarier time to be woman walking alone.

You're clearly a big tabloid news fan.

For the record I found the ad kind of lame, but at no point did I take offence to it or felt like it was stereotyping me, and it sure as hell wont impact on me buying gillette products.

It offended my intelligence. I can see how you have no issues with it.

You're clearly a big tabloid news fan.

Actually I only really watch the abc and bbc for news.....oh and (us)fox for the lols, and the only paper i read in Aus was the Age.
Anyway I cant really remember the last time I heard of a man being raped and killed by woman whilst walkiing alone in Australia.
Can give you a few examples of it happening rather recently the other way around though, but i trust you dont live under a rock and have also heard of them....well hopefully anyway, although you might just dismiss it as "fake news"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back