MFC Fans Only 2018/2019 Summer Sports Talk

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
The Special Teams Bowl. It's starting to become interesting by default, given the tied scores and lack of time remaining. Terrible atmosphere. The Equivalent of a Hawks vs Gold Coast GF
Yeah, absolute snoozefest ... but it's going to be an interesting ending, but you can see the final score being 6-3/10-3 ... Probably New England's way based on that last play.

As much as i couldn't give a s**t about the teams playing. I wanted to watch it. But ******* Centerlink has ordered me to do a course for three weeks, starting today

As much as i couldn't give a s**t about the teams playing. I wanted to watch it. But ******* Centerlink has ordered me to do a course for three weeks, starting today
Maybe that is Centrelink, and how dare they?

Cricket Australia just needs to find a way to market batting collapses, then they'd be golden.

Thanks Melbourne Stars for a quality outing

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lost interest in the BBL around Christmas time

Yeah, I wasn't particularly interested in it, but occasionally I'd plonk on the couch and watch a bit of it after work last year. No interest at all this year.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The 6 minute YouTube highlights of each game is enough for me, pretty boring comp.
It actually shits me how much the commentators yell 'What a shot' to a slog with no foot movement. Some of the young blokes technique in that format are horrific.

Not gonna lie but i kinda saw it coming with the BBL. One, it's getting more professional so it's loosing it's layback attitude which brought people to the game. Secondly, and this is the thing with Twenty20 in general, If blokes are gonna stand there and smash 6's it looses what makes hitting a six special. Hear me out, if you watched a guy suddenly open up and slog them in test cricket it's amazing. If you're expect guys to hit one or attempt them once an over, it's not special. It's just to much of a good thing

Not gonna lie but i kinda saw it coming with the BBL. One, it's getting more professional so it's loosing it's layback attitude which brought people to the game. Secondly, and this is the thing with Twenty20 in general, If blokes are gonna stand there and smash 6's it looses what makes hitting a six special. Hear me out, if you watched a guy suddenly open up and slog them in test cricket it's amazing. If you're expect guys to hit one or attempt them once an over, it's not special. It's just to much of a good thing
The same thing happened with AFLX. Was far more exciting to witness a tackle than a goal.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
The same thing happened with AFLX. Was far more exciting to witness a tackle than a goal.
Are you daring to suggest that AFLX isn’t exciting?

Nah I agree. The AFL misread the game, as did the BBL brainiacs who came up with the concept. It’s like they said “well, the crowd cheer after a goal, and the crowd cheer after a 6... so...”

It’s dumb. Sport is about contest. The beauty of a really good cricket match is the contest between the batsman and bowler. For tests you can also factor in the contest that plays out in field placement, strategy and even fighting against adverse weather. For AFL the contest is the primary feature - attack being repelled by a good defence. I don’t think a low scoring match is necessarily bad - it’s a low skill match, regardless of score, that grates.

Really stupid mistake. FFS soccer is vastly popular worldwide, and not one person leaves in disgust because the score is locked at 0 all or 1 all for the match.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans

Kusal Perera. :thumbsu:

It’s dumb. Sport is about contest. The beauty of a really good cricket match is the contest between the batsman and bowler. For tests you can also factor in the contest that plays out in field placement, strategy and even fighting against adverse weather. For AFL the contest is the primary feature - attack being repelled by a good defence. I don’t think a low scoring match is necessarily bad - it’s a low skill match, regardless of score, that grates.
I absolutely agree. But watching a contest is for older people.

Kids don't understand a contest. They want big events that they can see. Which, unfortunately, is why sixes and goals are empahsised for them. There was an article where Danger was quote about the target market for AFLX...

Dangerfield told AFL.com.au nicknames on guernseys related nicely to the target audience of children aged five to 12 for AFLX.

I think says it all really.

Kids don't understand a contest. They want big events that they can see. Which, unfortunately, is why sixes and goals are empahsised for them. There was an article where Danger was quote about the target market for AFLX...

I thought the target audience was overseas

I know a lot of kids who'd rather watch AFL than AFLX

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

I hear what you are saying but I am about to launch a massive rant - not against you but against the world and life and modern day society. But if you can be patient while I’m on a phone because I want to get home to a more suitable device before I kick off.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
I hear what you are saying but I am about to launch a massive rant - not against you but against the world and life and modern day society. But if you can be patient while I’m on a phone because I want to get home to a more suitable device before I kick off.
tenor.gif
CheapHugeCapeghostfrog-size_restricted.gif

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

Okay Pons. I’m back, I’m comfortable and I’ve come out fighting.

Firstly I actually disagree somewhat with your statement that “kids don’t want a contest” but want a big event etc. Adopting a patronising attitude of assuming what kids may or may not be able to comprehend or enjoy is the main reason they become shitty, over-demanding children in the first place. I learned to love sport well before I hit the magical 12 plus number when apparently you suddenly become old enough to understand the contest. And my first love as a spectator was test cricket. Mostly because my Dad loved it and he was happy for me to watch with him and would explain why it was amazing. I wasn’t a prodigy at all. I think if you treat people like idiots they will behave like idiots. And by treating kids like morons we are literally asking for a world populated by morons.

The world today where we offer short, dumbed down versions of everything (I can’t even go to an Art exhibition these days without the experience being spoilt by marketing folks creating a “simplified, fun and interactive journey” to involve the under 8 viewer) is a seriously troubling world.

Summary of the above: it is possible for young children to engage with sport without a million goals, marvel characters and Jessica Mauboy singing in the inevitable break every 15 minutes. It may even be good for them to learn to function in a world that can be slow or draining or dull. For those that fail there is still the option of medication and a reasonably qualified medical type person with some kind of mindfulness program.

I don’t care if kids want a big event or not. Stuff them. The very concept of being a kid, then becoming a ‘teenager’ was largely created by dorks who want to create another target market as an audience. These dickheads are false Gods and are seriously dangerous.

Even if the unlikely event occurs and Dangerfields 5 to 12 audience does go just wild for this kid friendly version of afl, what happens then? They turn 13 and say wow, I suddenly would like to see some contest so I might watch AFL games? Rubbish. Life is a staged journey. Marketing types do children no favours by providing versions of this child-friendly s**t. The whole object of being a child is to grow and learn and the sooner a child starts puzzling over the adult world and learning to live in it the better as far as I am concerned.

AFLX is s**t. If it is being marketed as a product for an audience of children, what this basically means is that either the world is comfortable with providing s**t goods to children just because they are children, or because evil marketing types know that they can make money.

Now I am going to go full grumpy old person on you, but I go to VFL every few weeks and children are there. They watch / cheer / eat pies / play on their iPads or phones etc. very like the adults there also. none of them seem to have really indicated that they are longing for Dangerfield to invent a game just for them. In fact the first I heard of this AFLX thing as being necessary to engage a younger market was very recently - when the people who created this rubbish told us it was necessary. You, me and everyone else on this thread managed to find our way to AFL without the staged baby steps that now exist as apparently necessary for a child to grow.

TLDR: I don’t like children much and I don’t trust them. They are way too short to be taken seriously and they can’t get into reputable pubs. On top of that I wish PR marketing types would stop ballsing up every single part of the world in order to make it “fun” for a small child. Particularly as the people who decide what kids should like are not themselves children - they are sad, greedy adults with really bad colour sense.

Old grumpy rant over. Unless I’m provoked....

Last edited:

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Firstly I actually disagree somewhat with your statement that “kids don’t want a contest” but want a big event etc. Adopting a patronising attitude of assuming what kids may or may not be able to comprehend or enjoy is the main reason they become shitty, over-demanding children in the first place. I learned to love sport well before I hit the magical 12 plus number when apparently you suddenly become old enough to understand the contest. And my first love as a spectator was test cricket. Mostly because my Dad loved it and he was happy for me to watch with him and would explain why it was amazing. I wasn’t a prodigy at all. I think if you treat people like idiots they will behave like idiots. And by treating kids like morons we are literally asking for a world populated by morons.

The world today where we offer short, dumbed down versions of everything (I can’t even go to an Art exhibition these days without the experience being spoilt by marketing folks creating a “simplified, fun and interactive journey” to involve the under 8 viewer) is a seriously troubling world.

Summary of the above: it is possible for young children to engage with sport without a million goals, marvel characters and Jessica Mauboy singing in the inevitable break every 15 minutes. It may even be good for them to learn to function in a world that can be slow or draining or dull. For those that fail there is still the option of medication and a reasonably qualified medical type person with some kind of mindfulness program.

I don’t care if kids want a big event or not. Stuff them. The very concept of being a kid, then becoming a ‘teenager’ was largely created by dorks who want to create another target market as an audience. These dickheads are false Gods and are seriously dangerous.

Even if the unlikely event occurs and Dangerfields 5 to 12 audience does go just wild for this kid friendly version of afl, what happens then? They turn 13 and say wow, I suddenly would like to see some contest so I might watch AFL games? Rubbish. Life is a staged journey. Marketing types do children no favours by providing versions of this child-friendly s**t. The whole object of being a child is to grow and learn and the sooner a child starts puzzling over the adult world and learning to live in it the better as far as I am concerned.

AFLX is s**t. If it is being marketed as a product for an audience of children, what this basically means is that either the world is comfortable with providing s**t goods to children just because they are children, or because evil marketing types know that they can make money.

Now I am going to go full grumpy old person on you, but I go to VFL every few weeks and children are there. They watch / cheer / eat pies / play on their iPads or phones etc. very like the adults there also. none of them seem to have really indicated that they are longing for Dangerfield to invent a game just for them. In fact the first I heard of this AFLX thing as being necessary to engage a younger market was very recently - when the people who created this rubbish told us it was necessary. You, me and everyone else on this thread managed to find our way to AFL without the staged baby steps that now exist as apparently necessary for a child to grow.

TLDR: I don’t like children much and I don’t trust them. They are way too short to be taken seriously and they can’t get into reputable pubs. On top of that I wish PR marketing types would stop ballsing up every single part of the world in order to make it “fun” for a small child. Particularly as the people who decide what kids should like are not themselves children - they are sad, greedy adults with really bad colour sense.

I would like to poke you with a stick at inconvenient times.

Gee thanks PG.

Quality rant, would provoke again.

AFLX reinforces my decision that having kids wasn't for me. I personally don't understand the point of either.

Back