NFL 2018 Super Bowl LIII - Los Angeles Rams vs New England

Super Bowl options.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Like he did against the Saints...oh hang on

Is this seriously the demented critique people are going with? He's played a whole one bad game in his life- with a fractured back and whilst playing from behind against a team that was putting up points at will against the most depleted secondary in NFL history.

What a spud.

Last edited:
It wasnt a good defensive game. That's just what the hipster bandwagon fans say because they don't understand the game and can't tell the difference between poor offensive execution and good defence and assume that low scores is old school football. This didnt resemble old school football at all. It was just sloppy.

It wasnt a good defensive game. That's just what the hipster bandwagon fans say because they don't understand the game and can't tell the difference between poor offensive execution and good defence and assume that low scores is old school football. This didnt resemble old school football at all. It was just sloppy.
Old school football WAS sloppy and entailed poor offensive execution too.

Fancy a 20 year old young man pontificating to an old man who grew up watching old school football.

Old school football WAS sloppy and entailed poor offensive execution too.

Fancy a 20 year old young man pontificating to an old man who grew up watching old school football.

Go have a nice warm glass of milk and shut the * up gramps.

I didnt claim that old school football didn't include poor offensive execution, I suggested that there's a difference between good defence and poor offence.

It's pretty much impossible for a game these days to resemble the old days. The rules take care of that.

Go have a nice warm glass of milk and shut the **** up gramps.

I didnt claim that old school football didn't include poor offensive execution, I suggested that there's a difference between good defence and poor offence.

It's pretty much impossible for a game these days to resemble the old days. The rules take care of that.

You're right about the latter. Very very much. Every hit was incredibly violent, teams trying to knock players out of the game. If people watched some old (70s especially) full game on Youtube you'd appreciate the huge gulf of difference.

However....your initial point isn't completely right. Often poor offense, sloppy play, is DUE TO great defense. Causing such. Especially in this modern age of soft(er) football. When the D gets its way, offenses are really unable to handle it, too coddled thru a whole 16 week season, it's like a shock to their system.

You're right about the latter. Very very much. Every hit was incredibly violent, teams trying to knock players out of the game. If people watched some old (70s especially) full game on Youtube you'd appreciate the huge gulf of difference.

However....your initial point isn't completely right. Often poor offense, sloppy play, is DUE TO great defense. Causing such. Especially in this modern age of soft(er) football. When the D gets its way, offenses are really unable to handle it, too coddled thru a whole 16 week season, it's like a shock to their system.

No, the second point is too broad.

It can be, but it's not forced to be. Sometimes offensive play is just poor. A missed throw isnt always because of pressure, sometimes it's just a missed throw.

Is this seriously the demented critique people are going with? He's played a whole one bad game in his life- with a fractured back and whilst playing from behind against a team that was putting up points at will against the most depleted secondary in NFL history.

What a spud.

Whoa there boy....whoa...wow some regulars going ballistic today (what’s a nut hug anyway)

I was referring to the Saints game a few weeks ago in response to an Eagles fan posting the following...

Foles would have bitch slapped the **** out of that game today.

I’ve defended Wentz and his bad back...s**t

No, the second point is too broad.

It can be, but it's not forced to be. Sometimes offensive play is just poor. A missed throw isnt always because of pressure, sometimes it's just a missed throw.
Well, we're talking about today's game specifically. There was a LOT of great D by the Patriots that was the reason for the Rams woes on O.

Whoa there boy....whoa...wow some regulars going ballistic today (what’s a nut hug anyway)

I was referring to the Saints game a few weeks ago in response to an Eagles fan posting the following...

I’ve defended Wentz and his bad back...s**t

Ok, my bad. I thought you were going after the Wentz part of the post.

As far as it relates to Foles- Alshon holds that ball, who knows what he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, we're talking about today's game specifically. There was a LOT of great D by the Patriots that was the reason for the Rams woes on O.

There was a lot of bad quarterback play that wasnt necessarily because of defence. On both sides.

There were plays to be executed (you pointed them out earlier re: Goff), and they werent.

Not even just the Pats - Phillips dunked on Brady and McDaniels
Yep. Remiss of me to not include that in my above comment.

But specifically there's attacks made on the Rams and Goff for being woeful on O, and they were having their worst ever offensive game today out of the whole season. This is the Rams who were the #2 ranked O all year. The Patriots especially were magnificent on D today. Sure, McVay was too vanilla and took his sweet time to adjust, and there were SOME purely bad execution. But like %90 of the time it was all due to Pats D. Runs stuffed, passes broken up, errant throws due to pressure, or, errant throws due to bluffing and fooling Goff/OL and them reading it wrong pre-snap.

I'd recommend the naysayers watch the game again from a tactical viewpoint. The first time you watch a game you're more spectating and taking it all in. Like the first time you watch a deep movie. You often need a second or more viewing to really analyze everything better.

There was a lot of bad quarterback play that wasnt necessarily because of defence. On both sides.

There were plays to be executed (you pointed them out earlier re: Goff), and they werent.
That INT, where he missed the open #17 and heaved it up for the TD was due to an all-out blitz that wasn't blocked well.
The deep In route that he missed when he heaved it deep and it was broken up....I'm pretty sure that was one of those instances where the Pats bluffed rushers and non-rushers, and it fooled Goff pre-snap and he mentally hurried it expecting it where it didn't end up coming from. That's good D too.

On a side note. How did everyone do in the poll for the thread.

4/4 for me

Pats 8-14
Brady more yards
Michel more yards
Edelman more yards

Had a great day on the punt too.

Nailed a nice 3 leg same game multi. and a few prop bets

Multi
- Patriots H2H
- Total 1Q points under 10.5
- Patriots to win the 4th Quarter

Singles
S. Michel anytime TD
Will any quarter be scoreless (yes)
and individual bets on the last 2 legs of the multi

Critically, the Pats didn't allow McVay to babysit Goff and read the defence for him - they basically isolated Goff and he crapped himself. The Pats audibled out of looks late in the snap count and blended in plenty of zone when they had basically played man all season.

The D-line was also crucial in winning the battle at the LOS and hurrying Goff.

Sure Goff missed some balls here and there but he played like ass because BB absolutely brained McVay.

Critically, the Pats didn't allow McVay to babysit Goff and read the defence for him - they basically isolated Goff and he crapped himself. The Pats audibled out of looks late in the snap count and blended in plenty of zone when they had basically played man all season.

The D-line was also crucial in winning the battle at the LOS and hurrying Goff.

Sure Goff missed some balls here and there but he played like ass because BB absolutely brained McVay.

Definitely this.

A lot of changed looks under 15 seconds when the comms get cut.

Well what to say from this years Superbowl?

• Disappointment in terms of being a spectacle.
  • Fascinating in watching the line play.
  • Frustration in the Rams inability to ditch Plan A that wasn't working and going to something else (I'll elaborate later).
  • Bill and Tom essentially being that rookie Madden player who's got 1 really good play they know well (Brady hitting up Edelman across the middle cos he's wide open on every play in the 5~10 yard area from scrimmage) that the D simply isn't reading on a regular basis. So they just go back to it again, and again, and again...
  • Rams stellar D Line being owned by the Pats O Line.
  • Pats O Line creating some stellar running lanes that I could've skipped through whilst whistling dixie.
  • Rams O Line simply not winning the "push"
  • Rams Plan A of trying to fool the Pats with their pre-snap misdirection plays just simply not working. Bill and co basically had 2 works to study and work out what they were up to and the Pats D was all over it. They read EVERY run beautifully. Rams couldn't disguise a thing today, and didn't have a Plan B to roll with. They couldn't establish the run and found themselves in far too many 3rd and long situations (from memory they averaged 3rd and 6).
  • With the O Line struggling and the run game not working I felt that Goff basically $hit the bed. He looked stunned on the sidelines. He's young, he'll learn, and he'll be back. Reminded me a lot of Elways Superbowl failings early in his career.
  • Really wanted McVay to pull the trigger early in the second half and throw to Cooks and Woods in early downs, just don't remember it happening. Seemed too set in his game plan that wasn't working
  • Pats didn't exactly set the world on fire either though. How the Rams were still in it was beyond me. Early INT and missed FG certainly helped.
  • Still, enjoyed a great day with friends not being at work for another Superbowl Monday
  • Roll on next season!

Thank you. You're a loser if you say this was a s**t game. It was football. A battle.
After all the drama of the last few Superbowls this one was much harder to watch I reckon.

I don’t mind defences having a say and making things tough but the game to me just lacked tension and excitement. Even though the game was close in the fourth I never felt like the Rams were going to win or even seriously challenge the Pats. Watching Goff trying to get any sort of yardage was painful. Had a feeling all along on that key drive that he would turn it over and he did.

Back