Racing Darren Weir Arrested and stables raided by Police and Stewards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Weir strikes me as an old fashioned trainer. Outstanding horseman, nobody disputes that. Western district boy who cut his teeth with TOS at Stawell, they don't come any more old fashioned. I'm sure tubing, jiggers and setting up races were par for the course during his days learning the trade under his mentors, that's how things rolled 25 yrs ago. He's been pinged for tubing a few times and no surprise he's using jiggers to this day.

Problem is the world has evolved and moved on, they won't accept it anymore. What was a slap on the wrist 20 yrs ago is not acceptable today.

All that said if he came back in 4 yrs I'd have no hesitation in sending one to him, he's still an exceptional trainer and horseman.

Weir strikes me as an old fashioned trainer. Outstanding horseman, nobody disputes that. Western district boy who cut his teeth with TOS at Stawell, they don't come any more old fashioned. I'm sure tubing, jiggers and setting up races were par for the course during his days learning the trade under his mentors, that's how things rolled 25 yrs ago. He's been pinged for tubing a few times and no surprise he's using jiggers to this day.

Problem is the world has evolved and moved on, they won't accept it anymore. What was a slap on the wrist 20 yrs ago is not acceptable today.

All that said if he came back in 4 yrs I'd have no hesitation in sending one to him, he's still an exceptional trainer and horseman.

Interesting one. Would you feel different sending a horse back to him after finding out one of your yours had been tubed or jigged - absolute hypothetical. I’d be nice a pissed off.

Lost a lot of respect for a bloke whose essentially made result$ a priority over the horses well being- No doubt Weir is no orphan in that regard.

Please... how can you justify the actions of someone that has done the things that he has. Cruelty to animals, putting shame to the industry and putting 100s of his employees without work. He is a cheating scum bag and shouldn’t be defended in any way or for any reason.

Please... how can you justify the actions of someone that has done the things that he has. Cruelty to animals, putting shame to the industry and putting 100s of his employees without work. He is a cheating scum bag and shouldn’t be defended in any way or for any reason.

No justification, as per second sentence. Just my view on how he may have got to here.

Doesn't mean he can't prepare a horse or get it rock hard fit and ready to go.

He will not even contest the charges good horseman no question like smerdon will have to hand in his licence take the 4 years. Jarrod mclean (wbool stable manager) has had multiple offenses as well including high c02 readings to issues with ( horse integrity ) trap for fools group 1 winner that he received a ban for.

Honestly I think weirs biggest issue ( reminder complete stab in dark without evidence ) will be something to do with the integrity side of some of his big wins if the federal police are involved you would suspect his accounts and cash flow to be thoroughly checked. Already prince of penzance has an * next to his name.

I suspect you will lobbying for a life ban and probably will recieve it if any charges outside the joggers stick. The no contest scenario for me just feels like a lot more is going on behind the scenes that hasn't been released.

Anyway the show goes on bad time for the racing industry.

He will not even contest the charges good horseman no question like smerdon will have to hand in his licence take the 4 years. Jarrod mclean (wbool stable manager) has had multiple offenses as well including high c02 readings to issues with ( horse integrity ) trap for fools group 1 winner that he received a ban for.

Honestly I think weirs biggest issue ( reminder complete stab in dark without evidence ) will be something to do with the integrity side of some of his big wins if the federal police are involved you would suspect his accounts and cash flow to be thoroughly checked. Already prince of penzance has an * next to his name.

I suspect you will lobbying for a life ban and probably will recieve it if any charges outside the joggers stick. The no contest scenario for me just feels like a lot more is going on behind the scenes that hasn't been released.

Anyway the show goes on bad time for the racing industry.

Make it go away Ray. Pay a few off and smack a few more around.

All this is true about his upbringing and outlook on training. His 2 mentors Terry and Austy Coffey have both been done recently for doping and tubing. For Weir, that's how he was brought up. He has been a cheat(and a convicted one at that) since the very start of his career.

Zero sympathy for him. He has made enormous profits, and gained prestige, because of the lengths he'll go to to win. Now he'll suffer the ignominy. And deserve it.

Plenty more to come imo. Race fixing etc etc

The GN Hurdle seems to be the straw that broke the camels back imo. Some people just push the envelope too far....and it all comes crashing down.

There are likeable qualities to Weiry, but he was always a ticking timebomb. A cheat from day 1, and one that got out of control.

Mick Leonard interim trainer for forest lodge while they negotiate a replacement.
Whose taking over the operation?

Make it go away Ray. Pay a few off and smack a few more around.

Obviously they have been lol shows just how corrupt racing is. No one condones use of jiggers and cheating but Darren has obviously been done from inside his own camp they have him on camera smiling no doubt.

600 odd horses will move on to different trainers plenty to gain from others.

He has been paying everyone off with tips by the sound of it, now everyone jumping out of the boat only so many life vests

Makes me laugh reading racing.com that sandwiched between 2 articles talking about integrity and culture, there's an article on the All Star Mile bush battlers featuring Magic Consol.

The horse that turned into Phar Lap as an 8YO and trained by a stable previously done for... jigger use. :$

A jigger is fine but a taser no. How do get them to jump if they do a Chautauqua (admittedly Chautauqua had probably had enough)?
A jigger is not fine. If they don't want to jump out of the barriers they probably should be headed for a different career, Pony Club etc.

What a farce, total (high profile) hypocrite. Of course, this never happens anywhere bar Australian racing.

Sure he would have been 1 of the first trainers canvassing owners for the 'former' Weir horses, be interesting to see how many are taken in by this 'used car sales mans' approach.

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5880802/cumani-calls-into-question-legitimacy-of-weirs-success-video/

Trial by media yet again, just pathethic what unscrupulous journos are doing to REAL peoples' lives. All about the 'shocking' headlines and $'s being made off that.

This article actually puts paid to implied claims in the previous, about still photos.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/racing/second-weir-hearing-set-for-wednesday-morning-20190205-p50vqq.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting one. Would you feel different sending a horse back to him after finding out one of your yours had been tubed or jigged - absolute hypothetical. I’d be nice a pissed off.

Lost a lot of respect for a bloke whose essentially made result$ a priority over the horses well being- No doubt Weir is no orphan in that regard.
Why? Stomach tubing doesn’t even harm a horse and a jigger is a great measure for encouraging horses too jump quickly from the barriers.

Jiggers, coke, dodgy trainer, Melbourne cup, should make a movie about this. Oh they have already. Part 2 will be a beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back